Player Discussion Jeff Skinner

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
His assist last night on Eakin's goal showed huge awareness of where everyone was on the ice and he set up Eakin for an easy tap in, more or less. Did all the work.

Skinner is not nearly as "bad" a player as his haters want to make him. I will say this: the puck has NOT been going in for him, but that is how hockey is. A lot of this game is random chance.

I think we could make the Okposo argument here that "If he made less it wouldn't be an issue", but given that Skinner was brought in as a scorer, 20 G, and 18 A in 110 games over 2 seasons isn't really acceptable for any top six forward production, let alone a guy making 9M per.

We're stuck with him so he's our problem to solve.

For a guy who isn't a "bad" player, he's had a lot of bad games and now two bad seasons in a row.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
I was a big defender of Skinner while he was relegated to the 4th line under Krueger. Now he's not, and it appears his impact has decreased, even with good linemates. Somebody post a fancy chart.
upload_2021-5-6_7-18-14.jpeg

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
100% serious when I say, I would be willingly to attach the top 3 pick this year onto Skinner to get him out of here.

He is so bad and will cost us some of these young players moving forward. I would take these younger players on our team right now, versus the players in this years draft.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
His assist last night on Eakin's goal showed huge awareness of where everyone was on the ice and he set up Eakin for an easy tap in, more or less. Did all the work.

Skinner is not nearly as "bad" a player as his haters want to make him. I will say this: the puck has NOT been going in for him, but that is how hockey is. A lot of this game is random chance.

He makes almost no attempt to play defense most of the time. He rarely wins puck battles, and often makes the wrong decision with the puck. One decent play hardly changes that.

The puck not going in is his own fault, but for what he's getting paid he should be busting his ass all over the ice, and he's not doing that.

He will start the season next year stapled to Eichel's line in the hope he gets his scoring touch back.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
100% serious when I say, I would be willingly to attach the top 3 pick this year onto Skinner to get him out of here.

He is so bad and will cost us some of these young players moving forward. I would take these younger players on our team right now, versus the players in this years draft.

I would give Seattle their choice of any three of the following, to take Skinner off our hands:
  1. 2022 1st round pick
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (basically a late 1st rounder)
  3. JJ Peterka (Not available in ED)
  4. Rasmus Asplund (Protected in ED)
  5. Tage Thompson (Not protected in ED)
  6. Jacob Bryson (Not protected in ED)
  7. Ant roster player who isn't protected
Would those top three be enough to entice a building team like Seattle?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I would give Seattle their choice of any three of the following, to take Skinner off our hands:
  1. 2022 1st round pick
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (basically a late 1st rounder)
  3. JJ Peterka (Not available in ED)
  4. Rasmus Asplund (Protected in ED)
  5. Tage Thompson (Not protected in ED)
  6. Jacob Bryson (Not protected in ED)
  7. Ant roster player who isn't protected
Would those top three be enough to entice a building team like Seattle?
both you and @BloFan4Life understand Skinner has a no-move clause contract and must agree to a trade, or an ED exposure, and offering any of this to Seattle is contingent on Skinner waiving?

If both of you are using the example to quantify your frustration / "I'm over it" with Skinner, then never mind, I wholly get it.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
both you and @BloFan4Life understand Skinner has a no-move clause contract and must agree to a trade, or an ED exposure, and offering any of this to Seattle is contingent on Skinner waiving?

If both of you are using the example to quantify your frustration / "I'm over it" with Skinner, then never mind, I wholly get it.

I’m just assuming he’d be open to it if the alternative was having his career end. If he’s going to remove all options, I’d never let him on the ice again in a Sabres uniform. At this point, CJ Smith brings more that Skinner.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
If both are here, Skinner - Eichel needs to happen and you let Jack do Jack things. Honestly put Cozens at RW and it’s a first line because Jack and Cozens are on it.

Reactions: Zman5778

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Is there any chance for a compliance buyout in the future? I thought there were rumblings that NHLPA was looking into this, due to the COVID related financial issues.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Is there any chance for a compliance buyout in the future? I thought there were rumblings that NHLPA was looking into this, due to the COVID related financial issues.

Sounded like there wasn’t an appetite for it last time around, last I heard. Don’t think we’ll see them again anytime soon.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Rod was right to get rid of before his contract year; if they would have valued his even strength scoring stat they wouldn't have traded him for peanuts. Don't come with the close to home argument. Wouldn't that also work both ways & give JB more leverage in the negotiations?
Also what tells that about the competitive spirit & will to win of a player if just wants to be close to home instead of playing for a contender?
If I were Jeff I would have waived my nmc at the tdl and played for a contender. Could have still phoned home after the playoffs.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

He's like a dog that can't be housebroken. He craps on the carpet 9 times for every time he remembers to go outside.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
He's like a dog that can't be housebroken. He craps on the carpet 9 times for every time he remembers to go outside.

I’m just waiting for someone to bust out 5v5 expected primary points per 60 or some obscure stat to tell us why he’s actually good

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY

It's not working here. Skinner knows it. I'm sure he would be willing to removing the tag. Why would a player want to stay in a place where it isn't working out?

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
It's not working here. Skinner knows it. I'm sure he would be willing to removing the tag. Why would a player want to stay in a place where it isn't working out?

Location. Stability. Lots of reasons. I wish I could be stationed closer to home. Human reasons.

Id like to believe that conversations are happening. How they handle Skinner and the NMC will effect future free agents contracts.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Sabres: Jeff, it's not working out. You know it. We'd like you to remove your NMC tag for a trade to (insert team). If you won't go there, tell us where you'll go.
Skinner: Nope. Why should I leave? Play me next year with Eichel and I'll score 40.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Sabres: Jeff, it's not working out. You know it. We'd like you to remove your NMC tag for a trade to (insert team). If you won't go there, tell us where you'll go.
Skinner: Nope. Why should I leave? Play me next year with Eichel and I'll score 40.
Well let's give him the chance to do that. If we get Skinner of last 2 years then just sit him if you cannot work something out. You are screwed on the cap- short to medium term only we hope- but for the sake of the future you play the guys who will produce for you. Maybe some time in Coventry will show his mettle-or not.....

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Well let's give him the chance to do that. If we get Skinner of last 2 years then just sit him if you cannot work something out. You are screwed on the cap- short to medium term only we hope- but for the sake of the future you play the guys who will produce for you. Maybe some time in Coventry will show his mettle-or not.....
I agree with both you and @BloFan4Life that the Sabres strategy should be to ask Skinner to waive for either the expansion draft and/or a trade. However, in disagreement with @BloFan4Life, I believe the probability of being able to move Skinner is extremely remote, due to both the total leverage Skinner has, and the very high leverage potential trade partners will have to jack up the price BUF will need to pay (retained salary, other talented Sabre player sweeteners) to move the contract.

While Skinner is a square peg in a round hole in terms of current roster construction, style of play, production value, and contract cost vs. role, IMO, the best bet the Sabres have is to wait for Eichel's return, pair him and Skinner, and try to push up Skinner's value while hopefully benefitting from better on-ice production in the Fall.

Is the buyout window BEFORE the expansion draft??? :naughty:
Historically, buyout windows have ended after the entry draft and before free agency begins. I can't find any specific 2021 date for either the initial buyout window or the post-arbitration-hearings buyout window.

Last edited:
Reactions: Team Cozens

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
He's the worst forward on the team aside from Eakin.

The only leverage GMKA has to get Skinner to waive his NMC is to threaten a buyout. A buyout this offseason would cost skinner $24million in earnings.

If Skinner waives:
Retain 50% and throw a bunch of high draft picks, including 1st rounders at somebody to take him. And have 4.5 mil in dead cap for 6 seasons.

If there's no takers in a trade, waive him to Rochester on the understanding we loan him to the Marlies. And we save 1 mil a season and eat the 8 mil in dead cap for the next 6 seasons.

If he still won't waive just bite the bullet and buy him out. We save 7.5 mil in cap 3 out of the next 4 seasons and save 0 in 1 of the 4.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
He's the worst forward on the team aside from Eakin.

The only leverage GMKA has to get Skinner to waive his NMC is to threaten a buyout. A buyout this offseason would cost skinner $24million in earnings.

If Skinner waives:
Retain 50% and throw a bunch of high draft picks, including 1st rounders at somebody to take him. And have 4.5 mil in dead cap for 6 seasons.

If there's no takers in a trade, waive him to Rochester on the understanding we loan him to the Marlies. And we save 1 mil a season and eat the 8 mil in dead cap for the next 6 seasons.

If he still won't waive just bite the bullet and buy him out. We save 7.5 mil in cap 3 out of the next 4 seasons and save 0 in 1 of the 4.
Yes, until he signs with another team and "double-dips" getting paid on the new contract and by the Sabres. I'd be surprised if (and barring injury), by the time his Sabres contract is off the books he lost more than half that $24M value.

But I agree with your sentiment re: strategy / approach.

Reactions: Team Cozens

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3