Player Discussion Jeff Skinner

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
I know its hf boards, but the amount of people who think Skinner's contract is worse than Vlasic's or Seabrook's is hilarious.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I know its hf boards, but the amount of people who think Skinner's contract is worse than Vlasic's or Seabrook's is hilarious.

Seabrook and Vlasic's both go down to a NTC at the end. Skinner is a NMC the whole way.

And Skinners is for 30% more than either d-mans.

We will see how Skinner plays with a real center this year.

Seabrook is done, but, there's a good chance he'll spend the last 2-3 years of the contract on LTIR.

Vlasic I think still has some tread on the tire. Not sure he'll live up to the contract, but I think he'll be closer to Okposo (overpaid but useful) while Skinner has been just awful on his contract so far. Obviously we hope that changes, but long term, the Skinner contract is a rope around our neck that isn't going away.

I'd probably trade Skinner straight up for Vlasic if given the opportunity. We'd save 2M in space and Vlasic would be overpaid, but not to the same extent that Skinner is. And it'd fill an immediate need (2 LHD)

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Seabrook and Vlasic's both go down to a NTC at the end. Skinner is a NMC the whole way.

Seabrook is done, but, there's a good chance he'll spend the last 2-3 years of the contract on LTIR.

Vlasic I think still has some tread on the tire. Not sure he'll live up to the contract, but I think he'll be closer to Okposo (overpaid but useful) while Skinner has been just awful on his contract so far. Obviously we hope that changes, but long term, the Skinner contract is a rope around our neck that isn't going away.

I'd probably trade Skinner straight up for Vlasic if given the opportunity. We'd save 2M in space and Vlasic would be overpaid, but not to the same extent that Skinner is. And it'd fill an immediate need (2 LHD)

Vlasic is signed until he is 39, he should be worse than Okposo for his last three years if not more.

1 less year than 28yo Skinner, and only 2M cheaper, I don't see it.

I'd hate a Skinner/Vlasic trade even if Hall was signed for more than a year.

Reactions: DJN21

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
It’ll never not be a bad contract and the second biggest blunder by Botteril. Everything about it is just a big wtf. It’s established through his previous NTC he only wanted to be in Buffalo or Toronto. Leverage. Toronto can’t afford him. Leverage. You’ll even slap an NMC on there as assurance he won’t be moved to a geographical location he doesn’t want. Leverage. you can offer the 8th year that no one else can. Leverage.

Here, Jeff. A contract $2 million above market value. Dunno who his agent is but players should be beating down his door to partner with him.

Edit: That said, the criticism is of the contract/GM, not the player. He’s a valuable player and I see and agree arguments he should be effective for many years. And should definitely bounce back with the offensive depth the team now has.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Vlasic is signed until he is 39, he should be worse than Okposo for his last three years if not more.

1 less year than 28yo Skinner, and only 2M cheaper, I don't see it.

I'd hate a Skinner/Vlasic trade even if Hall was signed for more than a year.

The last 3 years of both the contracts are going to be tire fires.

Do you want it to be a 7M tire fire or a 9M tire fire?

Also, I can send Vlasic to Rochester his last two years and save an extra M (and to encourage him to retire). Can't do that with Skinner, he's got a full NMC.

Skinners contract is a top 5 bad contract in the league. Probably top 2-3. Off the top of my head I can only think of Bobrovsky/Price as being worse.

Of course, Skinner could bounce back this year and net 40 and the contract wouldn't be "as bad"....but it'd still be bad.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Yeah, but both of those players are already bordering on useless and signed into their late 30s. Skinner is in his 20s and a season removed from potting 40 goals. Skinner's contract is going to have some ugly years on it, but he's far, far, far more likely to bounce back to being worth most of his cap hit than a bunch of other players on bad contracts around the league.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Yeah, but both of those players are already bordering on useless and signed into their late 30s. Skinner is in his 20s and a season removed from potting 40 goals. Skinner's contract is going to have some ugly years on it, but he's far, far, far more likely to bounce back to being worth most of his cap hit than a bunch of other players on bad contracts around the league.

yea exactly. If we are talking about lengthy bad contracts...I’m taking the player that has a chance of bouncing back and having it be a fairly solid contract for some duration of it.

skinner is still young and played with trash last year. Let’s see who he is this year

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Skinner would have scored 27 goals last season if he had the same shooting percentage he had the previous season. His shooting % dropped from 14.9 to 7.7. The number of shots on goal declined from 268 to 183. He averaged 3.1 shots per game vs 3.27 in 2018-19. His ice time was reduced by just over 2 mins per game. His career average shooting percentage is 10.7. Had he managed that he would have had 20 goals when the season ended. I thought he had a lot of scoring chances. He was just unlucky. But he won't come close to being the $9 million man again unless Krueger changes his usage.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
coach-told-me-i-had-to-backcheck-i-said-want-to-bet-your-paycheck-326802-1.jpg

Reactions: TheCerebral1

elchud

Nov 1, 2015

Seabrook is LTIR now and maybe Vlasic will go a similar route cuz his deal goes til he is 39. Dont think it likely that Skinner ever goes that route.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
Watching him yesterday was the first time I actually entertained the possibility of retaining a large chunk of salary to move him. The reality is, even if he waived and we retained 50% of his salary, it would still cost us multiple high-end picks/prospects to get a team to take him.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
His most impressive plays lately is when he enters a foreign zone and begins to unfold like in figure skating, but unfortunately that's all. He makes the same weird passes as Thompson did. Reinhart is definitely having a hard time being the center of such a line.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I think you gotta make the best possible situation for Skinner next year. Either do a Skinner-Eichel-Cozens line, or sign a guy to play on the 1st line, whether its Armia or, if we can dump Risto and/or Miller, throw a bunch of money at Zach Hyman.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Skinner is exasperating to watch. He kills every line he's on by hanging onto the puck doing his little spin moves trying to work himself in closer while his teammates stand around and watch until he loses the puck. He takes his team out of the play. He's always going to be a liability until he learns to distribute the puck. He's said to be uncoachable, but for about $30 I think he can be broken of these bad habits.

7fe5282e-4b9c-4d1f-9be6-f4ac0acedac2_1.a3251bdfdf2478b930eb07acb1774843.jpeg

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Was creating scoring chances on the bottom six and one of our best forecheckers just didn't finish. People are watching his stats and not his play.

He has been very consistently getting good scoring chances from good areas all around the net. He is that kind of player; he is going to get his chances.

They just have NOT been going in. Maybe this will be a career LOW year after his career high, and he'll get back to somewhere in the middle next season.

Reactions: Orange Fanta

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Skinner is exasperating to watch. He kills every line he's on by hanging onto the puck doing his little spin moves trying to work himself in closer while his teammates stand around and watch until he loses the puck. He takes his team out of the play. He's always going to be a liability until he learns to distribute the puck. He's said to be uncoachable, but for about $30 I think he can be broken of these bad habits.

7fe5282e-4b9c-4d1f-9be6-f4ac0acedac2_1.a3251bdfdf2478b930eb07acb1774843.jpeg

His assist last night on Eakin's goal showed huge awareness of where everyone was on the ice and he set up Eakin for an easy tap in, more or less. Did all the work.

Skinner is not nearly as "bad" a player as his haters want to make him. I will say this: the puck has NOT been going in for him, but that is how hockey is. A lot of this game is random chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad