Value of: Jeff Skinner

Leafsmealone

Jan 2, 2019
So a team that is on the cusp of a playoff push themselves, and one of the best sport stories this year, is just going to trade an upcoming UFA?

Ok, so, what would buffalo trade for skinner themselves? A 1st and a good prospect? So what would it take them to give up on this season?

Last edited by a moderator:

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
So a team that is on the cusp of a playoff push themselves, and one of the best sport stories this year, is just going to trade an upcoming UFA?

Ok, so, what would buffalo trade for skinner themselves? A 1st and a good prospect? So what would it take them to give up on this season?
Which team do you think they could pass in the standings and if skinner is serious about considering buffalo he can sign on July first

Last edited by a moderator:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They aren't trading him yet but if they continue to lose games and drop further out of the playoffs they will get a boatload of futures

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Skinner has a NTC. He accdpted the trade to Buffalo for the final season of his contract.

It's not a stretch to think he's interested in re-signing there.

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
He'd get the usual haul, a first plus good prospect.

Like others have said though Buffalo should hang on to him when they are this close to a run.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Skinner has a NTC. He accdpted the trade to Buffalo for the final season of his contract.

This. He’s re-signing as long as Buffalo shows him the money but either way he decides where he goes.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
He probably wont, he wanted to go to Buffalo and has NMC. Buffalo likely wont be able to deal him anywhere.
Idk he got the chance to prove he can play with talent with Eichel on his contract year and he hasn’t been in the ploffs in a long time so I could see him being willing to go to some team for a couple months for a cup run .

Reactions: LamorielloAndSon

sfoote

Jan 6, 2013
Really you can't see him on the market? sure they are only 4 points back now but the deadline is a month away and the way they are playing that 4 point gap can grow to 10 points real fast
That 4 point gap can turn into a 2 point lead in the wc race too, never heard of a team having peaks in valleys ? And there are multiple teams with the 4 to 8 point range, plenty of time to gain ground.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That 4 point gap can turn into a 2 point lead in the wc race too, never heard of a team having peaks in valleys ? And there are multiple teams with the 4 to 8 point range, plenty of time to gain ground.

Of course I have heard of peaks and valleys but valleys don't last nearly 2 months

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Especially since Buffalo can offer 8 years

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Of course I have heard of peaks and valleys but valleys don't last nearly 2 months
Sometimes it does. Hard to say where the Sabres will end up in the standings for several reasons. Not the least of which is Sabres GM Jason Botterill's comments on expecting reinforcements in the 2nd half of the season to show up from the Sabres AHL affiliate, the Rochester Americans, who are putting up one hell of a season right now. Guys like C.J. Smith, Danny O'Regan, Viktor Olofsson are all wingers, age 23/24. They are showing they are ready.
Who'd they replace? That is the question to look at. Sabres current roster, specifically lines 2 and 3, need a boost, and in a big way. Sometimes young guys with speed, hustle and desire show up to give that boost. As for who would have to moved, guys like Pominville and Okposo aren't exactly easy to move and guys like Thompson and Rodriguez most likely won't be leaving.

But if we do look at Botterill's comments, Sobotka, Sheary, Pominville (retained cap, he's a UFA and with ELC's replacing him, Buffalo can retain the max) and even Girgensons are the most likely of the forwards to be moved to make room for the youth. Not all of them, maybe a couple. Won't get much in return though I'd imagine. The important aspect is the roster slots, not only to get a look at some of the young kids, but to actually boost a playoff spot chance.

Obviously this is all guess work, but given Botterill's statements in December on him expecting a couple of the Rochester kids in the 2nd half to be those additions, not hard to deduce he'll be moving or waiving a couple of the middle 6 roster players. We'll see how it plays out from there, I expect those moves in Feb. for sure.

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
Skinner is not for sale. He used his NMC to get close to Toronto and Carolina got a bag of pucks for him. If Buffalo were to trade him, we would face the same problem.

Removing those circumstances the only way trading Skinner would make sense for Buffalo is if we got a young NHL proven player (ala Jacob Trouba), or whoever we trade Skinner to also takes on Kyle Okposo's contract in an insane and/or brilliant play that results in Buffalo landing Mitch Marner, Brayden Point or Austin Matthews via offer sheet.

Last edited:
Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
I would negotiate a contract and give him the option of being traded to a contender with the intent he signs.

Obviously no way to guarantee that, but it worked with Moulson(lol). We got futures and signed him as a UFA anyway.

Dietpepsi

Jun 27, 2015
Probably best to waive NTC to get exposure w/ a team in the playoffs and increase his contract value.
Hope sabres could get a 1st for him..

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Probably best to waive NTC to get exposure w/ a team in the playoffs and increase his contract value.
Hope sabres could get a 1st for him..

He’s on track for 50 goals and 76 points. His contract value is already high. I doubt he wants to leave and I doubt Buffalo want to trade him since they want to re sign him (or even ask him to waive). They are still a chance for the playoffs.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
He is reportedly happy in Buffalo and sees himself as part of the long term solution there.

He has fit in perfectly. I really hope that he doesn’t hit the market. It would be quite a blow to the Sabres to lose him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad