Player Discussion Jeff Skinner

Do you approve of Skinner for Pu, 2019 2, 2020 3 & 6?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
8-6: Jeff Skinner with The Instigators on WGR (12:56)

Skinner - I feel good, pretty excited about the trade. I'm just trying to get going before training camp right around the corner. #Sabres

Skinner - I think there was some talk around the NHL Draft with teams being interested. My agent and I then sat down and talked the pros and cons about each team. There was an open dialogue between the Hurricanes, the #Sabres and my agent, and that made things pretty easy too.

Skinner - I think the first thing you think of with the #Sabres is the young core with some great young talent. Then you do some homework and talk to some players who played with Buffalo in the past, and that talk was all fairly positive about the ownership, staff, and the fans

Skinner - I know a few guys with the #Sabres right now, I work out at the same place as Kyle Okposo and Scott Wilson. I am excited to get to know my new teammates.

Skinner - Since I'm a bit older, I think I can draw from some of my past experience and bring it to the younger players in the locker room. #Sabres

Skinner - You go into any offseason and try to improve on your game. I think you have to worry about the things you can control. Once camp rolls around, you then try to prepare yourself as much as you can for the start of the season. #Sabres

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Oh and if you look around the league the entire msm and other teams fans are all disappointed they missed out on Skinner and are applauding the move, but why wouldn't they when they just saw a supposed undesirable franchise just acquire an elite star goal scorer for peanuts.

Haggerty: A disappointment that Sabres, not Bruins, landed Skinner

There are several articles like this. But yeah, let's bash Botts and Skinner for his two way game :laugh:

Skinner will be a 30-35 goal scorer this season book it. If he signs long term he will score 40 in a season for us. Skinner is fast, durable, can score goals, better yet can score EVEN STRENGTH goals, and just turned 26. That is worth 7/49 easily. Virtually every NHL team would give him that deal. Hopefully it's us, and I have a feeling it will be. Botts is just incredible. I pine for Skinner since the days we had Myers still (back when I proposed Myers for Skinner hard) and now half a decade later Botts acquired the elite goal scorer I have wanted forever for pretty much a 2nd rounder. 3rd rounders are near meaningless to us (only ones we hit on were Sekera and McNabb the last 15+ years) and Pu was a nothing prospect to us. He was never counted on or penciled in any future lineup. He's a long shot prospect worth all not that much. For an elite goal scorer. I'd have done the trade if it was Asplund or Davidsson. For it to be Pu...well shit :laugh:

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
That type of thinking would keep you afraid to do anything because one big winger contract (which has nothing to do with Skinner) hasn't worked out.

First of all, we would be signing Skinner to a 7 year deal from ages 27-33. Okposos first year had him turn 29 during it. Skinner wouldn't turn 29 until the third season of his new deal. Skinner is a self made 30 goal scorer. He didn't have a superstar center carry him like Tavares did. And also Skinner is fast and durable. Okposo is slow, injury prone and not nearly as good. Oh and they totally play opposite wings but yeah, let's not keep an elite goal scorer because we have Okposo :laugh:

And as long as Okposo is moved before the start of the 21-22 season that's fine. Skinner deserves 7/49 and we better keep him. He is an elite goal scorer period. One of the best 5v5 scorers period. Sabres score 200 goals a year for 3 years in a row. Let's turn our nose up at one of the best goal scorers in the entire NHL because he doesn't get any Selke votes.
Skinner is not an elite goalscorer imo, but maybe he will approach that level with eichel

We should definitely not make any sudden moves and evaluate the situation after the midpoint of next year. I'd be fine trading him away if he's not producing a ton, it'd be necessary. locking him in to a deal that he won't be worth would not suit us well considering the contracts our youth will be worth post elc

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Skinner is not an elite goalscorer imo, but maybe he will approach that level with eichel

We should definitely not make any sudden moves and evaluate the situation after the midpoint of next year. I'd be fine trading him away if he's not producing a ton, it'd be necessary. locking him in to a deal that he won't be worth would not suit us well considering the contracts our youth will be worth post elc

I mean... he's scored the same 89 goals in 243 games over the last 3 seasons.... as Anders Lee.... so obviously... elite goal scorer :sarcasm:

But in all seriousness, he's just outside the top 20 in Goals per Game over the last 3 years... he's certainly not elite (the guys at the top are around .50 goals per game, where as Skinner is .37), but he can certainly be recognized as a great goal scorer. The reality is that his contemporaries over this time period (Lee, Atkinson, Rakell, guys in the .35-.38 range) are not elite... the elite are guys like Ovie, Laine, Malkin, Kucherov, Marchand, Tarasenko... Skinner is not in the ELITE class of goal scorers, but it's fair to say he's in the next tier....

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
lol I'm not saying that we can't debate things, just that a lotta people bein in their feelings bout things could be reduced if we just take a sec and realize that some opinions can't be reasoned with. there's no point in arguing with someone if you know they're not going to change their mind, it just sours people's impressions of each other over trivial things and worsens the conflict. Anyways, I'm just saying that maybe we should build a good room in our community in the same way that we'd want for our team

Haha I know what you meant. Just goofing off.

Here’s the problem with the creating a good room like a team. In a team setting you can identify problems and just remove them.

Here, if we removed people who regularly post things completely out of their butt, illogical fantasies or open showings of complete ignorance, often aggressively so, we would cull a ton of people from the room.

It’s a weird switch on this board. It could be that the tank just broke some people or brought in others who were influenced by current thoughtfulness online, but we didn’t have these nonsense convos nearly as much 2-4 years ago.

We used to only have 2-3 wing nuts who were regular. And then you saw the occasional new one come thru like a burning mediocre meteor. Do you remember the McBurn guy from two winters ago?

Now it’s like a dozen. Given that climate it strikes me that appeasement in the form of respecting silly ideas is the path to a complete ruination of the community.

For example, JJ and I disagree frequently. But I seldom think he is in lala land. I always assume reason and evidence will mean something to him. And JJ uses evidence as well. I’m happy to walk away in disagreement without fighting the same fight over and over again.

I think that is far less true of others. I think maintaining this forum as a fun place to discuss real ideas, requires dealing with lunacy. Not to convince the lunatic, but to show everyone else that the lunatic’s ideas are not right.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
That type of thinking would keep you afraid to do anything because one big winger contract (which has nothing to do with Skinner) hasn't worked out.

First of all, we would be signing Skinner to a 7 year deal from ages 27-33. Okposos first year had him turn 29 during it. Skinner wouldn't turn 29 until the third season of his new deal. Skinner is a self made 30 goal scorer. He didn't have a superstar center carry him like Tavares did. And also Skinner is fast and durable. Okposo is slow, injury prone and not nearly as good. Oh and they totally play opposite wings but yeah, let's not keep an elite goal scorer because we have Okposo :laugh:

And as long as Okposo is moved before the start of the 21-22 season that's fine. Skinner deserves 7/49 and we better keep him. He is an elite goal scorer period. One of the best 5v5 scorers period. Sabres score 200 goals a year for 3 years in a row. Let's turn our nose up at one of the best goal scorers in the entire NHL because he doesn't get any Selke votes.
Skinner -- like your boy Kane -- is a dog with a different set of fleas. Stop pretending there is no downside to extending Skinner to a 7 year 7-8 million dollar contract.

Reactions: Eichel9

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Skinner -- like your boy Kane -- is a dog with a different set of fleas. Stop pretending there is no downside to extending Skinner to a 7 year 7-8 million dollar contract.

There is no down side. Skinner isn't a 2 way forward he's a high end goal scorer, that's all I need him to be. Oh, and by the way here is me wanting Skinner for Myers back in 2014. The same Skinner haters were around back then too. They also said Skinner was more fragile then Myers and was worth less then Myers while I rightly proclaimed otherwise.

Before anyone wants to proclaim I wasn't as gung ho on Skinner...here is me and Stokes and Zip stating how good of a pickup Skinner would be for this horrid offensive team....FOUR+ years ago. https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/roster-speculation-2013-14-part-iv.1602241/page-17

Yes he absolutely is an elite goal scorer. Efficiency wise, raw # wise and situational wise he is elite. How many 30 goal scorers do it nearly every year with little talent around them? Which ones also score 80% of their goals At ES?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Yes he absolutely is an elite goal scorer. Efficiency wise, raw # wise and situational wise he is elite. How many 30 goal scorers do it nearly every year with little talent around them? Which ones also score 80% of their goals At ES?

Skinner hasn't done it nearly every year, so that's an odd argument to make.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I mean... he's scored the same 89 goals in 243 games over the last 3 seasons.... as Anders Lee.... so obviously... elite goal scorer :sarcasm:

But in all seriousness, he's just outside the top 20 in Goals per Game over the last 3 years... he's certainly not elite (the guys at the top are around .50 goals per game, where as Skinner is .37), but he can certainly be recognized as a great goal scorer. The reality is that his contemporaries over this time period (Lee, Atkinson, Rakell, guys in the .35-.38 range) are not elite... the elite are guys like Ovie, Laine, Malkin, Kucherov, Marchand, Tarasenko... Skinner is not in the ELITE class of goal scorers, but it's fair to say he's in the next tier....
i agree, I didn't mean to imply that he's not one of the better goal scorers in the league. I am curious, however, to how he and eichel be work. I think 35+ is a reachable goal (no pun intended) for him to reach and reproduce in multiple years... if that's the case then we'll have to resign him

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Haha I know what you meant. Just goofing off.

Here’s the problem with the creating a good room like a team. In a team setting you can identify problems and just remove them.

Here, if we removed people who regularly post things completely out of their butt, illogical fantasies or open showings of complete ignorance, often aggressively so, we would cull a ton of people from the room.

It’s a weird switch on this board. It could be that the tank just broke some people or brought in others who were influenced by current thoughtfulness online, but we didn’t have these nonsense convos nearly as much 2-4 years ago.

We used to only have 2-3 wing nuts who were regular. And then you saw the occasional new one come thru like a burning mediocre meteor. Do you remember the McBurn guy from two winters ago?

Now it’s like a dozen. Given that climate it strikes me that appeasement in the form of respecting silly ideas is the path to a complete ruination of the community.

For example, JJ and I disagree frequently. But I seldom think he is in lala land. I always assume reason and evidence will mean something to him. And JJ uses evidence as well. I’m happy to walk away in disagreement without fighting the same fight over and over again.

I think that is far less true of others. I think maintaining this forum as a fun place to discuss real ideas, requires dealing with lunacy. Not to convince the lunatic, but to show everyone else that the lunatic’s ideas are not right.
the tank totally broke people, I think that is the core issue... we really need to have a good year this season, and our young players need to show their promise

otherwise it'll be doomsday on roids

you are right that there is a necessary bit of lunacy imo. I've learned to deal with lunacy differently I suppose, I guess that's just how my life has gone. Those people are out and the normal people that aren't lunatics are in. I'd rather just not discuss things with the lunatic and expect others to exercise their good judgement in the same way, so I find it extra annoying when people argue with em. Trying to show everyone that the lunatic is a lunatic seems like one of those things where we're not trusting people to think... and I personally wouldn't want someone to feed info down my throat that I'm perfectly capable of discovering myself.

personal preference of course... I hate enabling in any fashion

it's really not as bad as im making it seem but I think you get the point :laugh:

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

He’s not an elite goal scorer by any sane definition of “elite”

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
There is no down side. Skinner isn't a 2 way forward he's a high end goal scorer, that's all I need him to be. Oh, and by the way here is me wanting Skinner for Myers back in 2014. The same Skinner haters were around back then too. They also said Skinner was more fragile then Myers and was worth less then Myers while I rightly proclaimed otherwise.

Before anyone wants to proclaim I wasn't as gung ho on Skinner...here is me and Stokes and Zip stating how good of a pickup Skinner would be for this horrid offensive team....FOUR+ years ago. https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/roster-speculation-2013-14-part-iv.1602241/page-17

He's only scored 30+ like 3 times in his career (in 8 seasons), that is most certainly not 'nearly every year'. he is a good, reliable scorer, but he is not elite...

I rest my case

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Our “Phil Kessel” addition. Also worth noting that Skinner was drafted and developed by Rutherford and obviously Botterill worked under Rutherford and had a good relationship.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Skinner is a player who has positive shot differentials, despite being bad at shot suppression ("defense"), and he's an elite goal scorer at even strength. In other words, he is the antithesis of "Buffalo Sabres hockey" for the last 5 years. Even if they still lose, they've added a lot of high-end talent in Mittelstadt, Dahlin and Skinner. That is a serious influx of skill, and so they should be more fun to watch. Of course, we've probably all said/thought that before, and...it has yet to happen. However, acquiring a player like Skinner, who is good at the things the Sabres are bad at, strikes me as a good strategy for improving the team. Ideally, Botterill will do a little more of it before the season starts.

Reactions: Dingo44

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
We used to only have 2-3 wing nuts who were regular. And then you saw the occasional new one come thru like a burning mediocre meteor.

I think maintaining this forum as a fun place to discuss real ideas, requires dealing with lunacy. Not to convince the lunatic, but to show everyone else that the lunatic’s ideas are not right.

You're referring to the mods here yes?

Well I'm glad we didn't trade Myers for Skinner back then. We wouldn't have Jack. Picking up Skinner now for what we did is just an awesome move and I'm not even a fan of the guy. I might be though if he comes in here and produces. I respect his talent even if I don't agree with his style. He's ours now and that changes my opinion of him. Rack em up Skinner.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I've already explained why I don't want Skinner here. Before he was acquired. He's a whiny diver ON THE ICE. Don't care for that type of play. Especially with so many young players on the team. And doubly so because there's not even a captain here. (slapping the C on Eichel doesn't alleviate that... yet)

I guarantee everyone will be face-palming a few times to his antics.
Sounds a lot like Briere. Crosby was a huge whiner and still is at times, McDavid has some of that in him for sure. I think it's competitive fire and I don't have a problem with it. It's not like he's Burrows or Ruutu or Neymar as someone else said.

Reactions: Dingo44

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Sounds a lot like Briere. Crosby was a huge whiner and still is at times, McDavid has some of that in him for sure. I think it's competitive fire and I don't have a problem with it. It's not like he's Burrows or Ruutu or Neymar as someone else said.

This whiny thing is weird. What was ROR?

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY

Neymar has nothing on Danko Lazovic!!!

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
From what I read by people who watch Canes hockey a lot Skinner is a puck hog, which makes him a poor fit for Eichel, a better fit for Reinhart. People say he had inferior linemates but maybe that's because his coaches realized he's a one man show like Evander Kane. He could be a scoring 3rd line unto himself.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
From what I read by people who watch Canes hockey a lot Skinner is a puck hog, which makes him a poor fit for Eichel, a better fit for Reinhart. People say he had inferior linemates but maybe that's because his coaches realized he's a one man show like Evander Kane. He could be a scoring 3rd line unto himself.
Problem is Housley spent half a season figuring out Kane+Eichel was bad despite it being painfully obvious early

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Problem is Housley spent half a season figuring out Kane+Eichel was bad despite it being painfully obvious early
Problem was wing depth was zero. At least now we have enough players to put together a real top 6.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
We'll have to wait and see how he reacts to Jack. I also agree he's a good fit for Reinhart, but Skinner never played with someone like Jack who wants the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad