Rumor: Jeff Skinner potentially on the block

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
...if he's able to stay healthy

Dude, do you realize he has played 82 games in 2 of the last 3 years and only missed 8 games total the last 4 combined?

Health isn't any more of a concern for him than any player. He doesn't play a game that is tough on the body. He and the team may benefit from a change of scenery, and he may be ready for one after years of futility in Carolina.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Dude, do you realize he has played 82 games in 2 or the last 3 years and only missed 8 games total the last 4 combined?

Health isn't any more of a concern for him than any player. He doesn't play a game that is tough on the body. He and the team may benefit from a change of scenery, and he may be ready for one after years of futility in Carolina.

I just have 3 words for you. One....Hit....Away!

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Out of curiosity, what is Carolina's incentive to move Skinner? And what are their needs? What seems off to me, is that they seem to need more scoring, yet want to move one of their pure scorers. Tough to come up with a trade proposal of one scoring winger for another.

Reactions: 57special

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Out of curiosity, what is Carolina's incentive to move Skinner? And what are their needs? What seems off to me, is that they seem to need more scoring, yet want to move one of their pure scorers. Tough to come up with a trade proposal of one scoring winger for another.

It's based off of a couple of things. First, the Canes management have said they want to change the culture of the team. Skinner is the longest tenured Hurricane right now (outside of Ward who is a UFA). Secondly, Canes said they want to be tougher to play against. That doesn't mean unskilled goons, as they've said Aho is a guy that is tough to play against. Skinner is great offensively, but isn't great defensively. Thirdly, he's a UFA in a year and do they want to give him a huge contract at 27 years old when they have Aho, Necas and probably Svechnikov likely getting big paydays a few years later.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto

I think from what I've read, Don Waddel seems to think the core, who has been intact for quite a few years now, is growing stale.

Reactions: Getzmonster

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Jeff Skinner appears to be on the block, considering it's his last year before FA. A good, not great player with potential to be a staple top 6 winger for a team if he's able to stay healthy.

“We have him for another year and that’s the way it remains,” Waddell said. “Jeff’s been a great player for our franchise. Certainly if there’s another fit someplace that makes sense for all of us we might explore it, but if not we know he’ll be a part of this group going forward.”

Courtesy: TSN

Got to think a team like Montreal or Toronto would be interested. Montreal obviously needs to acquire top 6 forwards, and Toronto needs to replace JVR's and Bozak's production potentially.

Thoughts on where he could be headed and what it would take?

Wasn't this basically a given when the Canes said they were open to trading everyone BUT Aho?

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
It's based off of a couple of things. First, the Canes management have said they want to change the culture of the team. Skinner is the longest tenured Hurricane right now (outside of Ward who is a UFA). Secondly, Canes said they want to be tougher to play against. That doesn't mean unskilled goons, as they've said Aho is a guy that is tough to play against. Skinner is great offensively, but isn't great defensively. Thirdly, he's a UFA in a year and do they want to give him a huge contract at 27 years old when they have Aho, Necas and probably Svechnikov likely getting big paydays a few years later.

I think from what I've read, Don Waddel seems to think the core, who has been intact for quite a few years now, is growing stale.

Thanks.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Actually, it's more about figuring out the PP for him. Both a team figuring out how to use him on the PP and him figuring out how to be more effective. His 5v5 goal scoring isn't the issue. He's #11 in the NHL since entering the league in Even Strength goals scored.

Yea, but can you imagine how many ESG he'd pot with an elite center?

Reactions: DaveG

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
This thread :biglaugh:

On the topic of Skinner if he’s on the block I’m hoping Dallas takes a long look at him. He’s dynamic on offense and we need more scoring.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I could see STL in on this. Though with fabbri coming back idk who between schwartz, skinner, fabbri would move to RW/C. Since Steen most likely locks in at 3LW. and if they don't sign tavares i could see stastny coming back.

Wouldn't HATE to see:

Skinner-Thomas-Tarasenko (shelter thomas with finishers, let him do his thing setting up his line mates left and right)
Schwartz-Schenn-Fabbri
Steen-Stastny-Kyrou/Tage

HIGH risk HIGH reward kinda lineup lol.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I could see STL in on this. Though with fabbri coming back idk who between schwartz, skinner, fabbri would move to RW/C. Since Steen most likely locks in at 3LW. and if they don't sign tavares i could see stastny coming back.

Wouldn't HATE to see:

Skinner-Thomas-Tarasenko (shelter thomas with finishers, let him do his thing setting up his line mates left and right)
That line would have three 50-70 pt players on it and STILL be collectively a +/- rating of -22 :laugh:

Reactions: STLBLUES44

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Would be a good fit in Colorado, though the Avs need a little more size in the lineup. That being said, he'd fit like a glove and the Avs have the assets/cap space to get it done, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

After all those Duchene to Carolina threads last summer I'm pretty sure both fanbases are still worn out. Plus the irony if the Avs were to acquire a skilled forward from Carolina after all of that...

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
After all those Duchene to Carolina threads last summer I'm pretty sure both fanbases are still worn out. Plus the irony if the Avs were to acquire a skilled forward from Carolina after all of that...

Especially since it would be an upcoming UFA (granted, true rental vs. Duchene's 2 years).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad