Rumor: Jeff Skinner potentially on the block

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Would be a good fit in Colorado, though the Avs need a little more size in the lineup. That being said, he'd fit like a glove and the Avs have the assets/cap space to get it done, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

My fellow Canes fans won't be too excited--but the only trade for Skinner I could see with the Avs is Soderberg and 2018 1st rounder. I think Soderberg could add some veteran presence to a line with Lindholm and Svechnikov. Plus he could help on the PK.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Chaotic will hate it, the Aho's will hate it but I think it's close.

10th ov + Puljujarvi + Sekera

Skinner + Faulk + Rask

Lucic + 10th + Puljujarvi
For skinner and faulk. book it.

I think the second of the two works better for Carolina than the first. We just don't need another left-handed defenseman. If a bad contract has to come back (and from the Oilers' perspective it does given the salary going the other way), I think the Canes' management would rather take the chance on Lucic regaining some of his form.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I think the second of the two works better for Carolina than the first. We just don't need another left-handed defenseman. If a bad contract has to come back (and from the Oilers' perspective it does given the salary going the other way), I think the Canes' management would rather take the chance on Lucic regaining some of his form.

No way we touch Lucic's contract.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Even ignoring Lucics contract:
  1. Lucic is about to turn 30. Not saying a player is useless at 30, but stats have shown that scoring is generally past it's peak and on the decline after a player hits his mid-to-late-20's.
  2. Lucic is an "old school" power forward, and the game is changing.
  3. Lucic may have just had an off year, it happens.
I wonder how you would appoportion his lack of production last year between those three factors? Bottom line for me is that I'd view the risk of the first 2 to be so high as consider him an out and out cap dump coming back in a trade.

Reactions: DaveG

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Canes fans, a couple questions:

1. What do you believe your needs are?
2. What do you believe the cap situation is? Internal cap? How much?
3. You have a treasure trove of young dmen talent. Where do you see everyone? Staying vs available.
4. Why might Skinner be available? He's relatively young and a great player. Why?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Canes fans, a couple questions:
1. What do you believe your needs are?
2. What do you believe the cap situation is? Internal cap? How much?
3. You have a treasure trove of young dmen talent. Where do you see everyone? Staying vs available.
4. Why might Skinner be available? He's relatively young and a great player. Why?

1. Carolina needs high-end offensive talent and a legit starting goalie. It's unlikely that the team gets the former externally via FA or trade. There is hope internally with Necas and presumably Svechnikov, maybe not for next season, but in the future. The solution to the goalie issue may not be found internally. The starting goalie market is junk this offseason, however, so we might see the Canes kick the can down the road before making another another notable commitment to the position externally.

For next season, assuming Skinner is traded, Carolina likely goes after a Top 6 forward and a goalie of some sort to pair with Darling. I'm not sure they'll be able to do much else financially, which leads into the next response...

2. Carolina will likely always be a team that doesn't spend to the cap consistently. It's the nature of the market. Nothing has been reported about what the NHL player payroll will be and likely won't, but I don't see how the organization ices a competitive roster with anything below $65 mil. For the sake of comparison, Carolina's opening night NHL player payroll was just north of $60 mil.

3. One of Faulk/Hanifin could move. The former could use a change of scenery, although he perhaps gets that in Carolina with the new HC, and the latter needs a new contract. Neither should be traded for the sake of being traded. The defense is still in flux long-term. Jake Bean, the internal option that would replace the lost offense, played his first professional game a few weeks ago.

4. Skinner is a flawed player. He's a great goal scorer, especially considering who he generally lines up next to, but has mediocre vision with the puck and is a defensive liability. He's likely to move because of the 1 year of term left on his contract and the desire to change the makeup of the lineup. The alternative of making a Kane-type commitment to him is evidently not that attractive.

GoldyNuck

Mar 7, 2017
I'm not sure if I'm in the minority here, but I would love to see him on the Canucks on a line with Horvat/Pettersson (when he's ready) and Boeser.

I know the Canes have a glut of defensemen/defense prospects but would a deal structured around Juolevi be of any interest at all, or would the Canes want a centre prospect back?

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Pretty much every player in the league could be one hit away from a career ending injuries

He was being facetious. That's the mantra with many on here, in spite of the fact that Skinner has missed a total of 8 games over the last 4 seasons and 3 games over the last 3. You know, kind of like how Sidney Crosby is one hit away and that's why he has been of such limited value for the past 5 seas . . . oh, wait. :sarcasm:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
1. Carolina needs high-end offensive talent and a legit starting goalie. It's unlikely that the team gets the former externally via FA or trade. There is hope internally with Necas and presumably Svechnikov, maybe not for next season, but in the future. The solution to the goalie issue may not be found internally. The starting goalie market is junk this offseason, however, so we might see the Canes kick the can down the road before making another another notable commitment to the position externally.

For next season, assuming Skinner is traded, Carolina likely goes after a Top 6 forward and a goalie of some sort to pair with Darling. I'm not sure they'll be able to do much else financially, which leads into the next response...

2. Carolina will likely always be a team that doesn't spend to the cap consistently. It's the nature of the market. Nothing has been reported about what the NHL player payroll will be and likely won't, but I don't see how the organization ices a competitive roster with anything below $65 mil. For the sake of comparison, Carolina's opening night NHL player payroll was just north of $60 mil.

3. One of Faulk/Hanifin could move. The former could use a change of scenery, although he perhaps gets that in Carolina with the new HC, and the latter needs a new contract. Neither should be traded for the sake of being traded. The defense is still in flux long-term. Jake Bean, the internal option that would replace the lost offense, played his first professional game a few weeks ago.

4. Skinner is a flawed player. He's a great goal scorer, especially considering who he generally lines up next to, but has mediocre vision with the puck and is a defensive liability. He's likely to move because of the 1 year of term left on his contract and the desire to change the makeup of the lineup. The alternative of making a Kane-type commitment to him is evidently not that attractive.

Wow, that was great. Thank you for that.

Where I struggle in trying to work deals with you guys is, yes I imagine you want offensive talent but in the form of a young guy that can progress with the rest of the team. I'd think that if you are sending out someone like Hanifin, you want someone in their early 20's back to help, not someone in their late 20's. So something like Kessel for Hanifin doesn't work, IMHO, for you guys.

That said, I also see the dangers in always maintaining that young core. I look at Arizona who constantly drafts high, then sells and gets younger. At some point if you want to compete you will need the players that help you compete. Sometimes they are mid-aged, some times they are a touch older.

I'm just not sure where you guys are at. Theoretically, your defense should be "set": Slavin, Pesce, Hanifin, Fleury, Bean...I mean, those are premo assets. Forward is tougher to see. Clearly you have several good players from 20-25ish. So I figure your timeframe to build and compete would be in about 5 years, yeah? Add Svechnikov who would then be 23 or so. Aho is 25. Your defense is upper 20's and seasoned.

Is that a fair assumption? So what about something like Faulk for Puljujarvi?

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

Where I struggle in trying to work deals with you guys is, yes I imagine you want offensive talent but in the form of a young guy that can progress with the rest of the team. I'd think that if you are sending out someone like Hanifin, you want someone in their early 20's back to help, not someone in their late 20's. So something like Kessel for Hanifin doesn't work, IMHO, for you guys.

That said, I also see the dangers in always maintaining that young core. I look at Arizona who constantly drafts high, then sells and gets younger. At some point if you want to compete you will need the players that help you compete. Sometimes they are mid-aged, some times they are a touch older.

I'm just not sure where you guys are at. Theoretically, your defense should be "set": Slavin, Pesce, Hanifin, Fleury, Bean...I mean, those are premo assets. Forward is tougher to see. Clearly you have several good players from 20-25ish. So I figure your timeframe to build and compete would be in about 5 years, yeah? Add Svechnikov who would then be 23 or so. Aho is 25. Your defense is upper 20's and seasoned.

We’re all basically cool with Faulk for Poolparty, I believe.

It’s been tossed around numerous times.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
We’re all basically cool with Faulk for Poolparty, I believe.

It’s been tossed around numerous times.

Oh...and here I was thinking I was all smrt and stuff. I remember Faulk/Hanifin for S. Reinhart being a popular proposal.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Oh...and here I was thinking I was all smrt and stuff. I remember Faulk/Hanifin for S. Reinhart being a popular proposal.

At one point we were alright with the idea of Hanifin for Reinhart but I think we’ve all cooled on that one.

Simmonds for Skinner seems to have reached a general consensus amongst both fan bases as well.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think the Wild would be the perfect team to do a " culture change" one for one deal with. Either Zucker, Nino, or Coyle. Sounds like all three are better defensively than Skinner. Zucker has the wheels. Nino and Coyle have the size, and strength.

Certainly not a trade that needs to be done, or even should be done, for either team. I do know that historically, Wild simply don't have a use for players that don't play both ways.

It does give me pause that CAR would want a scoring forward back in exchange for Skinner...I mean, that's what he is.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

In answer to your first question, I'd second Big Daddy's response but with a lot more emphasis on a starting goalie. Scoring forwards come next, especially top 6 ones. Contrary to much of the (non-Cane-fan) board here, I don't see an urgent need for a #1C anymore. I mean, if we could get one, great, but I'd see how Aho and Necas look at C this year before I mortgage the future (and, late last season Lindholm looked like a decent bet to at least be able to hold down the fort for a year or so if Necas needs seasoning or time to bulk up). I'd also like to add another decent middle-pair veteran D-man for a year or two to add some stability and leadership, similar to what Hainsey and Liles both provided while they were here. Was hoping Faulk would assume that mantle last season, but I just don't think that's him. Don't need it for long, Slavin is a natural leader, but I don't want to split Slavin and Pesce and I'd like someone on the ice to mentor yutes like Fleury, Bean, and McKeown for a year or two.

As far as time frame, as I've said on here a number of times, Canes need to make the playoffs this year. I'm thinking legitimately contending for the Cup as more in the 3 year range than 5 (goalie dependent).

I'm with BDC, I'd probably do Faulk for Puljujarvi, (or maybe add Benning and a Canes pick to even out the right D position?) but I'm guessing you'll see some Canes fans on here who wouldn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad