Player Discussion Jeff Skinner - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
The biggest mistake was not signing him before he got to play with prime Eichel before the season started. He can now ask 8-9+ mil per year. Hoping he realizes Eichel and him are a match made in heaven.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
The biggest mistake was not signing him before he got to play with prime Eichel before the season started. He can now ask 8-9+ mil per year. Hoping he realizes Eichel and him are a match made in heaven.
He wouldn’t sign a contract before the season. Nobody would. He needed to get feel for the organization, team, and city.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Waived his NMC to come here, an hour from his home, gets to play with a 1C his entire contract, should be perennial playoff team. We have enough cap space to compensate him well. He has to stay.

Plus the only team closer to home definitely can't afford his services. I think we'll get him locked up for something pretty reasonable.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I think people are ovherrating his season in terms of dollar value for his next contract. IMO he’s going to be pretty easy to resign, he wants to be here and the Sabres want him. He’s gonna get what E. Kane got from the sharks.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I think people are ovherrating his season in terms of dollar value for his next contract. IMO he’s going to be pretty easy to resign, he wants to be here and the Sabres want him. He’s gonna get what E. Kane got from the sharks.

It will almost assuredly be more expensive simply due to the year by year increase of the cap and also contracts being signed more due to percentage of the cap more then pure dollar amount. Skinner is definitely the superior player has reached the 30 goal mark multiple times. Kanes deal was fair value and due to the cap going up and his monster start Skinner will definitely be getting bare minimum an extra 500k to 1 mil per AAV.

The thing is with Skinner and Kane is that there have been very very few top players that reach UFA status at age 26/27. Skinner, like Kane will be 27 the entire 1st year of his new deal and will be signing the deal at age 26. Considering the earliest anyone can reach free agency is 7 years of team control it means a player would be playing in the NHL at age 18 and having a deal that is not a max term given right after his ELC.

Because of how most of the contracts are given out to top young players they are 21,22 when their elc runs out and then they are given 7-8 year deals. That means players are not reaching ufa until 28 or 29 assuming no 1 or 2 year bridge if they get that max term right after their elc. That is why players like Kane and Skinner who are reaching ufa status at age 26 are getting paid.

What I would really want to see just for curiosity is a star young player enter the league at 18 and after ELC only accept a 4 year deal to reach free agency. I couldnt imagine what a 25 year old ppg superstar would get in free agency. A near max aav deal wouldnt be out the realm of possibility.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I try not to get too enamored with a player, but I love this guy. While I don't think his level of production is entirely sustainable, it's clear how instrumental Skinner is to Buffalo's success.

I'm ready to say he undoubtedly had another gear that he never reached in Carolina. This guy is big time. I worry a bit about the term he's seeking, but if he wants 8-9 mil I'll give it to him. This guy can't go.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
They can’t let him go because they odds of replacing him are so low. Legit top line goal scorers aren’t readily available. Those are the guys you pay and let the rest shake out as it has to. Dahlin and Jack are the only other players you worry about locking in long term. Everyone else is more negotiable. One of the Sabres podcasts I was listening to (can’t remember which) had a guy who was afraid of paying him too much because they have all these future first round picks. I mean...you won’t see those guys for two years after this year and they won’t get paid anything for three after that...and unless they are out of the gate superstars they won’t be breaking the bank then either. I can’t think of anything to be afraid of less than that.

And it’s not just his goal scoring. Sportsnet had a blurb on how much better he’s been defensively hounding pucks and getting turnovers/winning battles than he has ever shown before. He’s found another level in his overall game here.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm all for re-signing him (hopefully under 9 per), but I'm fully aware that players shift into an extra gear during a contract year. I certainly won't be expecting him to be good defensively and produce at this rate in future seasons as a Sabre...unless Housley and the pressure of playoff chases provides that extra motivation in place of $$$.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
They can’t let him go because they odds of replacing him are so low. Legit top line goal scorers aren’t readily available. Those are the guys you pay and let the rest shake out as it has to. Dahlin and Jack are the only other players you worry about locking in long term. Everyone else is more negotiable. One of the Sabres podcasts I was listening to (can’t remember which) had a guy who was afraid of paying him too much because they have all these future first round picks. I mean...you won’t see those guys for two years after this year and they won’t get paid anything for three after that...and unless they are out of the gate superstars they won’t be breaking the bank then either. I can’t think of anything to be afraid of less than that.

And it’s not just his goal scoring. Sportsnet had a blurb on how much better he’s been defensively hounding pucks and getting turnovers/winning battles than he has ever shown before. He’s found another level in his overall game here.
They often are, just need to find the right sucker. Too bad Chiarelli doesn't have any more top line forwards to trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->