Jeff Skinner HOF

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
If he had played for the Montreal Canadiens in the 70s and 80s, or his cottage was just down the road from Lanny's, absolutely he'd be considered.

Habs players from the 80s who are in the Hall off the top of head include Robinson, chelios, Gainey, carbonneau and Roy.

Then you have guys like Bobby Smith, Shayne corson, stephane richer and mats naslund who I consider as better players than skinner and also not that close to the hall.

Skinner wouldn't get a sniff either way.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Habs players from the 80s who are in the Hall off the top of head include Robinson, chelios, Gainey, carbonneau and Roy.

Carbonneau doesn't belong in there and Gainey is only in there for the Cups.

Without them, he's an excellent defensive forward with mediocre offensive stats in one of the most offensive eras in history.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Carbonneau doesn't belong in there and Gainey is only in there for the Cups.

Without them, he's an excellent defensive forward with mediocre offensive stats in one of the most offensive eras in history.

I've heard of the arguments against those guys, but even if you disagree with that, it comes down to whether you want skinner over those guys.

They didn't have the glitzy assignments, I get that, but I'm not taking skinner over them.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I've heard of the arguments against those guys, but even if you disagree with that, it comes down to whether you want skinner over those guys.

They didn't have the glitzy assignments, I get that, but I'm not taking skinner over them.

Well, the post was originally intended as a joke, as the line about Lanny MacDonald was meant to indicate.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I mean from a stat compiling standpoint. Skinner I'm guessing will be closer to 400 than 500 when the career is all said and done, and neither have or will be considered for the hall.

i got that, i just wanted to show how skinner is behind even for a sub-mid-season-all-star level compiler

Mortimer

Dec 27, 2018
I’d be pretty shocked if Skinner comes anywhere close to scoring 500.

Two recent comparisons I can think of are Corey Perry and Phil Kessel, who both also had ~350 goals at the end of their 31-year-old seasons. Both aged relatively gracefully but still fell off fast. Neither is likely to break 450 before they retire.

That said, it’s true that there’s always the Pavelski paradox to worry about…. :help:

Pretty fitting comparison as Skinner holds the current "No Playoffs" Ironman streak. :sarcasm:

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Anyone media member who even whispers Jeff Skinner's name in a HOF context should lose their voting rights forever and be banned from the HOF building and maybe even the entire city of Toronto.

It would mean they do literally nothing but look at end of career totals and stamp "ok" on any 450-550 goal career without any context or deeper thought.

Has Skinner ever been even a top 30 player? Like maybe in his 40 goal season you could say he's in the 25-35 range but other than that he struggles to make top 50.

Zero playoff games at age 31 is his most impressive stat.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Anyone media member who even whispers Jeff Skinner's name in a HOF context should lose their voting rights forever and be banned from the HOF building and maybe even the entire city of Toronto.

It would mean they do literally nothing but look at end of career totals and stamp "ok" on any 450-550 goal career without any context or deeper thought.

Has Skinner ever been even a top 30 player? Like maybe in his 40 goal season you could say he's in the 25-35 range but other than that he struggles to make top 50.

His contract is untradeable but imagine Buffalo trades him to a bottom feeder and they make the playoffs next season :laugh:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea

Last edited:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Guy's been a bit dog-housed lately by Granato playing 10–11 minutes per night with Peyton Krebs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think Jeff Skinner is at risk of becoming a Hall of Famer. He's kind of in that Eddie Olczyk and maybe Rick Vaive tier.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I don't think Jeff Skinner is at risk of becoming a Hall of Famer. He's kind of in that Eddie Olczyk and maybe Rick Vaive tier.
I don't even think he's at that tier... Vaive is a HOVG player. Olcyzk is a clear step below. And still, Skinner is a good two steps below that.

Just to be clear, I'm only the messenger here. I am in no way advocating for Skinner to be in the hall. It would be disgusting. But if he gets 550 goals... can't you see the committee (which by then could include Dave Andreychuk, Mike Gartner, Patrick Marleau, Dino Ciccarelli and Alexander Ovechkin) inducting him solely on that basis? Don't put it past them!

And even if they ultimately don't, it's quite likely his name would come up a lot with the talking heads as a potential candidate. I'm just here to warn y'all.

Reactions: Doctor Coffin

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I don't even think he's at that tier... Vaive is a HOVG player. Olcyzk is a clear step below. And still, Skinner is a good two steps below that.

Just to be clear, I'm only the messenger here. I am in no way advocating for Skinner to be in the hall. It would be disgusting. But if he gets 550 goals... can't you see the committee (which by then could include Dave Andreychuk, Mike Gartner, Patrick Marleau, Dino Ciccarelli and Alexander Ovechkin) inducting him solely on that basis? Don't put it past them!

And even if they ultimately don't, it's quite likely his name would come up a lot with the talking heads as a potential candidate. I'm just here to warn y'all.

I think it's more about contacts + the numbers. In Dinos case Bowman already had him as a lock for the hall after trading him to Tampa. Not sure if Skinner has the same pull as at least Dino and Andreychuk.

Not saying his name wont come up but I dont think he will be inducted.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I think it's more about contacts + the numbers. In Dinos case Bowman already had him as a lock for the hall after trading him to Tampa. Not sure if Skinner has the same pull as at least Dino and Andreychuk.

Not saying his name wont come up but I dont think he will be inducted.
Yeah, it's just concerning that the hall induction committee already has a couple guys on it whose primary achievement is their career goal total, and based on what they have valued in their recent inductions, it's not hard to imagine that a couple of similar cases end up on the committee, which only makes it easier for players like that to continue to be inducted.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

That is a super optimistic take on Vaive's career. Or we have a very different opinion on what HOVG means.

Also, TIL that he's probably of French Canadian origin (and by origin, I mean one of his parents' (I suspect, his dad's) first language was French), if he wasn't sqarely French Canadian himself.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
That is a super optimistic take on Vaive's career. Or we have a very different opinion on what HOVG means.

Also, TIL that he's probably of French Canadian origin (and by origin, I mean one of his parents' (I suspect, his dad's) first language was French), if he wasn't sqarely French Canadian himself.

Well iirc his dads parents were from Gatineau, so yes.

Reactions: MXD

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
There are nicknames now on Hockey-Reference's player pages, and not only the most famous ones but less famous as well and dare I say even dumb ones.

Apparently one of Skinner's is "The Justin Bieber of Hockey", I've never heard of this before. What's it even supposed to mean?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Guy's been a bit dog-housed lately by Granato playing 10–11 minutes per night with Peyton Krebs.

I don't follow Buffalo too closely overall, but he's been "dog housed" by the previous coach (Kruger) as well iirc. 14:31 mins of icetime per game they year Kruger was fired.

He had two good years under Granato, but seems like the cycle is repeating - playing on the 3rd/4th line for a while now, and not even PP1.

He might simply not be a very good player...

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Thinking about it, I really don't know how this guy has accumulated the stats he has.

His peak isn't anything special at all and you can't really say he's been very consistent, either. He's had some very underwhelming seasons. He is kind of like Matt Duchene is terms of consistency. Obviously Duchene is way better. But if you look at their respective careers, you'll see some seasons that look really nice followed by lackluster seasons.

I guess you can attribute his career totals to the combination of starting very early and having generally good health.

Skinner seems hard to predict. Who knows if he'll score 38 goals next year and manage to hang around long enough to hit the 500 goal mark or score 13 goals next season and wash out of the League soon.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

Just to be clear, I'm only the messenger here. I am in no way advocating for Skinner to be in the hall. It would be disgusting. But if he gets 550 goals...

I think you are being a bit optimistic with these career goals projections. He's at 357 now at age 31. Lots of players fall off a cliff starting around age 33.

Thinking about it, I really don't know how this guy has accumulated the stats he has.

Some of us were saying the same about Eric Staal a few years back.

Yet here he is with 1063 points and 450 goals.

Compiling is a thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3