Proposal: Jeff Skinner/Cam Ward

TheBlackFish

Jun 22, 2016
Fill in the blank. The two biggest needs filled are once.

Flyers:
Jeff Skinner (the scoring help needed, albeit possibly a 2 yr rental)
Cam Ward (cap dump/the goalie to start for 1 more yr while Stolarz/Lyons/Hart/Sandstrom battle for who gets the spot in 2018)

Hurricanes:
_____________. < German Rubstov? Travis Sanheim? 1st rounder?
Nick cousins (no room but can be solid mid 6 if given ice time to develop. Young enough to fit rebuild)
Merrick Madsen (also no room but solid G prospect that won't sign after college because of the flyers depth)
Matt Read (cap dump)

Scott Laughton is probably an underpayment while German Rubstov is an overpayment. Depends on value of Skinner after a good year following many inconsistent injury filled years. With Rubstov Amac probably gets them in so they can resign Skinner. Good for both teams situations given Carolina won't be competitive over the remainder of Skinner's contract (2 yrs then UFA). Flyers get something for assets that aren't apart of the future -(Laughton/Cousins/Madsen anyway)

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Canes aren't going to just give Skinner away. You could put Schenn there and they still wouldn't do it.

TheBlackFish

Jun 22, 2016
Skinner is a lot more valuable than that

Probably.

You think they would get a better offer than Rubstov, Cousins, and Madsen though? I don't know that's why there is a blank space there. Potential 1C, 22 year old middle 6 with upside, and a potential NHL goalie seems pretty good.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
You're seriously underrating Jeff Skinner. He's been their best forward. Granted they're not a good team, but they're not trading one of their few players who can actually score.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Probably.

You think they would get a better offer than Rubstov, Cousins, and Madsen though? I don't know that's why there is a blank space there. Potential 1C, 22 year old middle 6 with upside, and a potential NHL goalie seems pretty good.

Skinner can score 30 goals at ES. He has way more trade value than you imagine

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Id love to trade for skinner, however we wont give up what they would want, id be willing to do more than some but they wont accept scrap for him

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Id love to trade for skinner, however we wont give up what they would want, id be willing to do more than some but they wont accept scrap for him
Yep, I'd love Skinner on the Flyers. Always been a fan of him. But it would cost more than what I'd be willing to pay.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The opportunity to get Skinner was when he was having health issues. He is their top goalscorer so would not be cheap.

On the other side, why is the world would we want Cam Ward? People are bailing on Mason after 1 season of .908SV%. Ward has not broken .910 in the lat 5 years. He, along with the Dallas duo have been the worst starters in the league the last few years. Just awful.

TheBlackFish

Jun 22, 2016
On the other side, why is the world would we want Cam Ward? People are bailing on Mason after 1 season of .908SV%. Ward has not broken .910 in the lat 5 years. He, along with the Dallas duo have been the worst starters in the league the last few years. Just awful.

Top goalies in free agency don't sign one year deals. Most goalies at the NHL level are products of the team in front of them anyway. I bet Cam Ward would have the same success with the flyers as Brian Elliott or Ryan Miller, whom will likely want more than 1 year deals come July 1. Not the greatest of solutions but what other options are there exactly?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That is a really bad offer for Skinner.

He is worth a mid-to-late 1st, solid B prospect, and another piece like a 3rd.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

well I think the thinking is Mason is likely is as good as gone with the news Bishop getting a 6 year deal. Once Mason decides to test the market and I think he will, then Hextall has to move on. He cant wait for Mason to make his mind up.
I really am not a fan of Ward at this point of his career.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What would you give up? That was the question after all.

Since we have a glut at top 9 winger now, we would probably want to move one of them in the deal.

Schenn would probably have to be part of it but there would be need to be something else enticing coming back for Carolina because Skinner > Schenn. Our 1st in 2017 is too valuable. Our 2nd might not be valuable enough. I don't think we are willing to move prospects, so I don't see a deal here.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

Carolina needs him. He's not available for any reasonable package. He has 2 years left until FA. So he doesn't really make sense here anyway.

We offer nothing. Keep all of our Lindblom's, Rubtsov's, etc and stick to our plan. It's going great. Don't do anything to **** it up now.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Only a slightly-better bad offer for Skinner.

Depends on the quality of that prospect and the depth of the draft. The 2018 Draft is really good and could yield a player of Skinners calibre in the 10-20 range and if that prospect included is a guy like, say, Vorobyov, than it's not a bad offer...IMO of course. :)

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
he's scored more goals than Simmonds over the past 2 years and that's the offer?
crikey!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad