Jeff Schultz

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
That is where a GM has to dominate. That kid is all grown up, and its time to pony up. Will that contract fit, does the player fit a need on the team; does the player fit the mold of what he envisioned him being (e.g. Chara Lite).... or is he still enamored by the unlimited potential of that same skinny kid he saw at age 16 up in Canada. Clouded by his own great find; forgetting that it's a very fast game now.

He probably heard him referred to Nasty and had Fishman draft up the contract the next day.

Nolan Yonkman, ankle.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
He could have been sold for a "kings" ransom at +50.

Yep. But why stop there? None of the Caps big 5 from that season have been as valuable as they were after that season. I have no doubt that if they had sold high on Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, Green, and Schultz after that season they would be better off than they are now. 20/20 hindsight rules...

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
Yep. But why stop there? None of the Caps big 5 from that season have been as valuable as they were after that season. I have no doubt that if they had sold high on Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, Green, and Schultz after that season they would be better off than they are now. 20/20 hindsight rules...

Schultz was in a "big 5" that year? No wonder the Caps couldn't make it past the first round.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I know you're being absurd on purpose but come on...You're suggesting Schultz was worthy of mentioning with those guys based off a bogus +50?!?!?!

You watched the guy, you know it was smoke and mirrors and the best coattail riding job ever.

Please....didn't take hindsight even back then to know Schultz was at best a middle pair D playing over his head.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I know you're being absurd on purpose but come on...You're suggesting Schultz was worthy of mentioning with those guys based off a bogus +50?!?!?!

You watched the guy, you know it was smoke and mirrors and the best coattail riding job ever.

Please....didn't take hindsight even back then to know Schultz was at best a middle pair D playing over his head.

I am being serious. I 100% agree Schultz's value was at it's peak after the '10 playoffs. And so was Ovechkin's, Backstrom's, Green's, and Semin's.

Semin like Schultz walked for nothing. Green has missed 96 out of the last 212. Backstrom has had 1 very subpar season, missed 40 games with a concussion, and most importantly has been very disappointing over the last 3 playoffs. And sure Ovechkin had a nice rebound season last year but in the previous 2 he wasn't close to what we had come to expect from him and again his last 2 playoffs have been pretty disappointing also.

You don't think a case can be made that trading them all after the '10 playoffs would have been the best thing for the franchise?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
teams that trade their best players when they are at their best....you don't do that unless your name is Charles O. Finley.

There is also the fact that in most trades the team getting the best player wins the trade. The Capitals are very likely a dead franchise if they traded 8 and 19 alone. Green is the starter fluid and would be very hard to replace.

When was the last time you saw a team trade their best player after an mvp season because his value was high?? can you name one?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Best player? The ask is far too high. Of course it rarely happens.

By the way, you are in the Sarge thread.

You sell a guy that overachieved on a high if you can. A GM has to see when a guy really hasn't done anything at all different yet everyone suddenly thinks he is great.

Chicago passed up on Brouwer. Is he a different player now, than he was? Or largely the same. I think he is the same but is perceived a lot better.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I am being serious. I 100% agree Schultz's value was at it's peak after the '10 playoffs. And so was Ovechkin's, Backstrom's, Green's, and Semin's.

Semin like Schultz walked for nothing. Green has missed 96 out of the last 212. Backstrom has had 1 very subpar season, missed 40 games with a concussion, and most importantly has been very disappointing over the last 3 playoffs. And sure Ovechkin had a nice rebound season last year but in the previous 2 he wasn't close to what we had come to expect from him and again his last 2 playoffs have been pretty disappointing also.

You don't think a case can be made that trading them all after the '10 playoffs would have been the best thing for the franchise?

Not without knowing what the return was. Nobody in their right mind was fooled by Schultz's +50 to believe he would ever develop into a legit top D. He should have been jettisoned and isn't worthy of a mention with the others.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Best player? The ask is far too high. Of course it rarely happens.

By the way, you are in the Sarge thread.

You sell a guy that overachieved on a high if you can. A GM has to see when a guy really hasn't done anything at all different yet everyone suddenly thinks he is great.

Chicago passed up on Brouwer. Is he a different player now, than he was? Or largely the same. I think he is the same but is perceived a lot better.

So you're saying Brouwer hasn't continued to improve his game since he left Chicago. I'll disagree.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Not without knowing what the return was. Nobody in their right mind was fooled by Schultz's +50 to believe he would ever develop into a legit top D. He should have been jettisoned and isn't worthy of a mention with the others.

Yeah you're right, I'm sure Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green, and Semin wouldn't have returned much in the '10 offseason...

And just curious, assume McPhee's crystal ball told him that was definitely Schultz's peak value and it was time to deal him, what would he have brought back in your opinion?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah you're right, I'm sure Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green, and Semin wouldn't have returned much in the '10 offseason...
And just curious, assume McPhee's crystal ball told him that was definitely Schultz's peak value and it was time to deal him, what would he have brought back in your opinion?

Learn to read, I never said they wouldn't, I'm suggesting that idea is simply foolish to even discuss. Of that group, Semin was the only one I suggested we trade back then, and only because I wanted that salary redistributed to D and overall depth, and because of Semin's eligibility to walk for nothing.

55 At his peak value? A 2nd and a prospect? Maybe?

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Well the only thing I would contribute to this thread is that Schultz was drafted when no one really knew how the NHL would be like after that lockout. Hell look at the first two picks of the 2005 draft...makes me ashamed at how much I checked on Finley. If I ever had a first question being a NHL draftnik for Mahoney is in the drafting hindsight 20/20 which scout were on both of those first two picks in that draft, lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad