Jeff Schultz

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
This is a relevant discussion because it allows us to grade GM further. It looks like buying him out was the right move since a 2nd GM confirmed the move. Great job George, to recognize a mistake and correct. Late, but better late than never.

Tex is wrong again, not all bash George in every way possible. Nice try though.

I just want to know if George learned from this. Preaching mobility on D, he inks Sarge even though there was no visible improvement in his skating, nor in any part of his game really. He simply had to be more physical to compensate for a lack a speed.

Did we ever hear once he was working on his skating? Heck I remember hearing about Scott Stevens taking power skating lessons.

The Schultz Defense Team rests their case.

Until the next appeal.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
He never developed into anything more than he was in his first game. No improvements. D usually improve until the age 32 or whatever. He never did. The problem, George paid him like he did.

#FlatLineDevelopment

That may be a bit exaggerated, but still valid. The 55 topic was a hot one during the Prez Trophy season...There were several of us, you likely included, that had this exact question.....what areas could he really be expected to improve in?

not moving him then was a mistake

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
One of the biggest problems I had, was that he played scared in the playoffs. I grade players heavily in the playoffs, for it is a different game. You loaf on a Tuesday in Columbus, big deal.

Bruce said he was fearless but I don't think I have ever seen a player appear more scared in the playoffs, than him. Only, he was the only one that visibly looked scared to me.

The pirouette and subsequent injury, sadly, was the highlight of his playoff career, and showed all I needed to see. Mobility was his Achilles heel and we never saw efforts to improve upon it.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I don't know if Schultz played any preseason games with the Kings or how he looked in any games he played, but it looks like I very well might be wrong regarding his continued existence as an NHL regular. I think there are worse defensemen out there and perhaps the Kings blueline is strong enough that he was fighting an uphill battle all along. Maybe he gets a shot with a team with a weaker lineup.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Think it was the 4th goal against the caps in game 1 of the 09 playoffs sums up everything about Jeff Schultz. Callahan (rookie then maybe?) pulls a move that all of us learned when we were young that should never work at the pro level and heads in on goal alone. The best part is if you watch schultz (can barely see him after Callahan goes by) he not only does not recover but immediately blows out a skate and does a back flip. GMGM should be fired for making us suffer Jeff Schultz.

It was Dubinsky, and he wasn't a rookie.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't know if Schultz played any preseason games with the Kings or how he looked in any games he played, but it looks like I very well might be wrong regarding his continued existence as an NHL regular. I think there are worse defensemen out there and perhaps the Kings blueline is strong enough that he was fighting an uphill battle all along. Maybe he gets a shot with a team with a weaker lineup.

I don't wish unemployment on the guy, but he's not an NHL defensemen for anyone other than a basement dwelling team going through a rebuild, even then at minimum or a little above. He was in the right place at the right time with the Caps and got an outrageous contract that he will never see the likes of again.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The positive highlight of his playoff career was that ~15 blocked shots in one period versus Boston. Somehow no one noticed which was just so him.

Ironically, in his pairing with wideman, his best game, that may have been one of the worst pairings I have ever seen in the playoffs. Presumed both healthy.

For the first time ever, I found myself cheering an end of a shift throughout an entire game. I am not joking. The pairing made it off the ice! Wideman! Every shift was like a PK.

Halpysback*

so it took Lombardi 2 weeks to figure out what it took McPhee 8 years

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
well, i wouldnt start having lombardi's name inscribed on the nobel prize just yet....he did sign him over the summer.....LOL

It was more like "GMGM can't be this much of an idiot... there has to be something we're missing on film..."

"Nope.... not missing a thing"

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Seems to me, people are not bringing up Shultz to bash Shultz, they're bringing him up to bash McPhee. Which is the only acceptable reason to bring up Jeff Shultz.

This.

What possible "bias" could anyone really have against 55? Some dislike for tall guys? A allergy to his haircut?

Or is it more of what most engaged fans do, which is analyze and assess players and their performance while also grading GMs on their ability to make similar evaluations?

Rhetorical question.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Been out of the loop a bit. This thread scared me. Thought he was back. What an ongoing project he was. But finally a mistake was admitted. Always got a kick out of Hunter calling him "Schultzie". I don't know why though. LOL

Liberati0n*

This.

What possible "bias" could anyone really have against 55? Some dislike for tall guys? A allergy to his haircut?

Or is it more of what most engaged fans do, which is analyze and assess players and their performance while also grading GMs on their ability to make similar evaluations?

Rhetorical question.

Non-rhetorical answer: I would say basically people object to his personality. He doesn't seem to have intensity, he is not remotely aggressive, he doesn't get angry. On its own, that's fine, and I don't really like those attributes in a player either. In addition his size creates expectations of a physical game -- or at least the idea that he should play one -- that he doesn't come close to meeting.

It's fine to think he's not very good and to want him off the team. Both of those things are true of me. I'm glad he's gone, I think Dubinsky breaking his ankles was hilarious, but the hyperbole that people apply to him is ridiculous.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
It was more like "GMGM can't be this much of an idiot... there has to be something we're missing on film..."

"Nope.... not missing a thing"

Well to be honest half the guys on the current Caps' defense wouldn't have made the Kings either...

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Non-rhetorical answer: I would say basically people object to his personality. He doesn't seem to have intensity, he is not remotely aggressive, he doesn't get angry. On its own, that's fine, and I don't really like those attributes in a player either. In addition his size creates expectations of a physical game -- or at least the idea that he should play one -- that he doesn't come close to meeting.

It's fine to think he's not very good and to want him off the team. Both of those things are true of me. I'm glad he's gone, I think Dubinsky breaking his ankles was hilarious, but the hyperbole that people apply to him is ridiculous.

Maybe we're nitpicking here but personality may influence playing style or talent but they are not the same thing. Not every tough player is a raging maniac, and not every finesse guy is a demure softie.

It's his performance. And in assessing that there is no real apparent bias so much as there are conclusions based on a pretty big sample size.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I don't know. Even when Schultz was performing fairly well plenty of posters around here hated him for what he wasn't.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
People were calling for Schultz to be benched when he was in the middle of setting a playoff record for time on ice without a goal against.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Poor Schultz.

I just checked in on Sarge to see how he is going. I feel bad.

So he is playing for the Manchester Moths and is already +1.

If he is as good as his playoff records suggests, he should dominate and be back to the bigs in no time.

Lisa: Don't worry. A moth is no more harmful than a ladybug.

Rod & Todd: A ladybug?! (screams and run upstairs)

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I thought this pic was telling about his whole miserable career....always a step slow, long reach being his only hope...what a waste of a pick and massive development time.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Really the discussion about Sarge will one day be about George. All GM's draft duds. We know that, and bah what can you do. We as fans know drafting 17 year olds is hard.

But how many top picks get such a strong commitment to their development, including financial, top pair billing on a presidents; yet flop. That is worse than a simple pick busting. Much worse. EDIT PER CCF Below. Since we got nothing for him. He could have been sold for a "kings" ransom at +50.

I wonder if the problem wasn't so much Sarge, as George. Nurturing him lets say, paying him bank before seeing clear improvements. Not making him take skating lessons.

Ironically, GM was commended for cutting ties. We are like seals. George appears to have escaped scrutiny for Sarge's failing, and has presumably been re-inked to new contract.

I wonder if George is eyeballing his return in 2 years, and is holding that 2LD spot open until then. ;)

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If you hold onto your nuts for too long, they go bad and you have to throw them away. One of my biggest McPhee complaints.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad