Jeff Schultz

pgreene

Jul 30, 2005
from tarik:

On the flack Schultz catches from fans: "He seems to be the guy they pick on a little bit. But to the coaching staff, he's a really valuable player to have. ...In any sport, there's somebody that somebody doesn't like. It's not warranted in Jeff's case because he's played really good for us. But he seems to be a guy the fans have an easy attack mode, and I wish they would turn it off."

fyi, my avatar is not meant to be derogatory. i like jeff schultz. i also hope someone will post the youtube about his ankles breaking, because it makes me laugh.

Last edited by a moderator:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
The athletes in this town are babies.

The Caps are a good defense short of winning the Cup.

If Schultz got walked around by that Philly scrub or had his ankles broken in a playoff game in any major sports city he would be widely crucified by the fans.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland

If Schultz got walked around by that Philly scrub or had his ankles broken in a playoff game in any major sports city he would be widely crucified by the fans.

Or, you know, people might recognize when players can't move because of broken ribs and all...

Now that's not to say he doesn't deserve criticism (and the staff as well for perhaps overplaying him in situations he shouldn't be in, such as in a playoff game where his already limited mobility is even worse due to injury), but at the same time of all the issues with this team's D, Schultz isn't particularly high on the totem pole.

tim_*

I believe some of the negative feedback is warranted, however I also believe in a fresh start every season, and that goes for Nylander just as much as it does Schultz.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Jeff Schultz is still only 23 years old. He isn't my favorite Capital, but he could still improve by quite a bit, especially as a defenseman.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Jeff Schultz is still only 23 years old. He isn't my favorite Capital, but he could still improve by quite a bit, especially as a defenseman.

I think his mobility and footspeed are just too much of a handicap. I guess he could develop an offensive game, but I don't see how he can improve defensively when he's almost always 1 step behind the play.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
I think his mobility and footspeed are just too much of a handicap. I guess he could develop an offensive game, but I don't see how he can improve defensively when he's almost always 1 step behind the play.

It's probably not that tough for him to improve as a Dman, as long as he keeps up/improves his positioning. He's got an advantage in that he appears to be able to think the game reasonably well.

It would probably make things a great deal easier on him if he could develop a more physical game (naturally, not forced, because then it's probably more harm than good) to compensate; it would certainly move him up the payscale more quickly, and probably earn him more minutes over his career. But either way the better he becomes at seeing and thinking, the better he becomes at defending. That's probably an aspect of the game he can still grow in, if that's any consolation.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think the fans, specifically at the games I go to, are not hard on him at all. I hear no one jeering him. And every opine you can think of are posted on the message boards. Sometimes the fans are right though, at least most I know think they know whats up, starting with myself thank you very much. If he thinks the short sighted fans are too hard on him <usually for not being physical enough>, maybe us dummies have a point. No one is above criticism in the public arena. Is it me or does it seem he is being nurtured somewhat. Nature versus nurture, nature wins every time. Nurture has an opposite effect. 23 year old men do not need to be nurtured. they have to stand on their own two feet.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
from tarik:

On the flack Schultz catches from fans: "He seems to be the guy they pick on a little bit. But to the coaching staff, he's a really valuable player to have. ...In any sport, there's somebody that somebody doesn't like. It's not warranted in Jeff's case because he's played really good for us. But he seems to be a guy the fans have an easy attack mode, and I wish they would turn it off."

his stats aren't bothersome, but it seems that when schultzy f's up he does so in such a recockulous fashion that it enrages the fanbase. i think most bantam defensemen would be chewed out for running headlong into the boards while trying to challenge a player who was already on the outside.

in fact, even now, when i read 'jeff schultz' the first thing i think about is him standing in front of theodore in a perfect screen, with that who-me? face while philly celebrates a goal. or was it the johnson and the pens? ah yeah, it was both.

pgreene

Jul 30, 2005
i think 99% of the schultz hate is because he's huge but doesn't hit a lot. honestly, if he were 6'1" and played the way he does, i think most people would say he's a pretty fair young defenseman.

he's still growing into being a giant. he's still filling out. he's got a decent head for the game and i'm willing to be a little patient with him, but it does suck if he's holding a spot that a shiny new toy (i.e. alzner, carlson) could be filling.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

That was Bruce talking. Not Schultz, right? Schultz has said nothing so far as I know. Why are calling him out on this?

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
i think 99% of the schultz hate is because he's huge but doesn't hit a lot. honestly, if he were 6'1" and played the way he does, i think most people would say he's a pretty fair young defenseman.

he's still growing into being a giant. he's still filling out. he's got a decent head for the game and i'm willing to be a little patient with him, ...

Agree.

Also, he has noted, and I think it is evident seeing him on the ice, that he is finally starting to fill in. Not so much a giraffe on skates as when he first arrived in Hershey. (and fwiw, he had a 'not so fond of' club in Hershey, too)

and to txpd's post, it was only one person, but I agree, I had the same reaction to that post...the comments were from Boudreau, not Schultz.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
A reply to a News & Notes post that seemed better suited here:
Sure [Schultz] got another 80 games under his belt. But he missed out on the real games, playoff games. They were a disaster for him.
He missed some time during the regular season but he also missed all but two games of the Philadelphia series the year before as well. While everyone has been getting their playoff chops the past two seasons, Schultz has seen a total of three out of 21 playoff games. Heading into this season, that makes it difficult for me to figure out where to slot him in when it comes to the really meaningful games. I think he's got something to prove this season considering that he will be eligible for arbitration (read: potentially a big raise) next summer. We need a good look at him healthy in the playoffs to really see him handle the fire. He's a more than fine player at his current price tag but he needs to earn the distinction of being a core piece going forward. At this point I tend to chuckle whenever anyone mentions Schultz in the same sentence with the core group of elite young players. He's not trash but he doesn't deserve that amount of recognition yet either.

I'd say that we saw slight improvement when it came to physicality but regression in offensive play and no meaningful progress when it comes to PK positioning and awareness.

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
I think Schultz will develop into a d-man that is a 4/5, but a pretty solid if not pretty good PKer, like a better Erskine that doesn't hit much. On the PK he can park around the net, he can take advantage of his auger like reach. He just needs to learn to not screen the goalie.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Or, you know, people might recognize when players can't move because of broken ribs and all...

Now that's not to say he doesn't deserve criticism (and the staff as well for perhaps overplaying him in situations he shouldn't be in, such as in a playoff game where his already limited mobility is even worse due to injury), but at the same time of all the issues with this team's D, Schultz isn't particularly high on the totem pole.

I don't understand. Doesn't Schultz play defense?

He and Pothier are prime candidates for replacement, IMO.

Unless they think they're going to hoist a Cup with the same defense that got picked apart last year.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Pothier is in a contract season. He will either play well enough to be retained or will be replaced. My feeling is that Pothier is a key to the Caps this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad