Player Discussion Jeff Petry (Part II) - #mynamejeff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
You misread my post. I'm saying I know nurses people who GOT the covid vaccine that are against the covid vaccine. Just because someone got the job doesn't mean they can't be against it. When your livelihood (or to an extent, enjoyment of life) depends on it, people will make the "sacrifice" and get it.

So dismissing someones dumb instagram posts and saying they're rational because they got the vaccine isn't something I can do like you, maybe I'm too stubborn. When they support the Karen convoy and are propagating vaccine/booster hesitancy, it's going to be hard for me to respect them especially because she's not the one that lives in Ottawa and has boots on the ground and seeing the dumb shit these idiots are doing that the media isn't reporting on. She's a dumb as a brick based on those posts alone and can gladly stay in the US.

I can tell you as a health care worker that the only nurses that are anti vaccine are the red neck trailer park *** wipers. The nurses with more education who are in ICU, CICU, CVICU etc are unanimously united on the side of science.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I can tell you as a health care worker that the only nurses that are anti vaccine are the red neck trailer park *** wipers. The nurses with more education who are in ICU, CICU, CVICU etc are unanimously united on the side of science.

I imagine and expect that's the most likely case and happy to hear that.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
With the Petry's it's not a vaccine thing, is it? More about open/closed and curfews? Josh Freed from the Gazette wrote a column that I thought was pretty cavalier for Canada and he got flamed left and right by Americans, some of whom don't even want to mask under any circumstances.

The open/closed thing is pretty debatable with omicron. I don't see why masks are controversial, and the risk/benefit on vaccines seems obvious, too.

Got to be rough for Petry, though. Being alone, away from family, even if he's probably away from them a fair bit in season anyway. Really, really tough situation. As per Friedman a lot of Americans don't want to come to Canada because of the restrictions in place. They are all vaccinated, or pretty close, but they want to go out. Should be less of an issue in the coming weeks, but it could complicate the trade deadline, we have to get someone back for Petry.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I don't get this movement to run Petry out of town at all. I mean if he wants out, that's one thing and if that's the case the organization should probably move him, but other than that, I think a lot of people are going to realize very quickly next season how hard it is to find a high-end, mobile, puck-moving RHD.

Petry has anchored this D-core for the last number of years and has been one of the best players on the Habs. Sure, he's playing like garbage this year (who isn't on Montreal) but I believe he'll bounce back somewhere close to his old form if he sticks around.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I don't get this movement to run Petry out of town at all. I mean if he wants out, that's one thing and if that's the case the organization should probably move him, but other than that, I think a lot of people are going to realize very quickly next season how hard it is to find a high-end, mobile, puck-moving RHD.

Petry has anchored this D-core for the last number of years and has been one of the best players on the Habs. Sure, he's playing like garbage this year (who isn't on Montreal) but I believe he'll bounce back somewhere close to his old form if he sticks around.

No one said that Petry hasn't been important for the Habs over the years. Everyone recognizes he's been as important to the team as anyone else.

As for him being traded, the report is he asked to be traded. So that is why everyone is talking about moving him. It sounds like the guy wants out.

Him bouncing back? I have every confidence in the world that he will. He's been one of the top scoring defensemen over the last 3-4 years in the league. One shitty season doesn't suddenly mean he's done. But I'd be more than happy if he ends up bouncing back somewhere else.

Fans want to go the way of a rebuild. That means certain vets need to be moved. So if Petry stays and bounces back, it reduces the chances of having a better pick next year, which is what most of us want to help the rebuild.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

His family isn't here with him and he's not exactly going to be a prime RHD by the time we're back to competing.

It's really the perfect situation now for the team and him to move him and get a good return back.

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
No one said that Petry hasn't been important for the Habs over the years. Everyone recognizes he's been as important to the team as anyone else.

As for him being traded, the report is he asked to be traded. So that is why everyone is talking about moving him. It sounds like the guy wants out.

Him bouncing back? I have every confidence in the world that he will. He's been one of the top scoring defensemen over the last 3-4 years in the league. One shitty season doesn't suddenly mean he's done. But I'd be more than happy if he ends up bouncing back somewhere else.

Fans want to go the way of a rebuild. That means certain vets need to be moved. So if Petry stays and bounces back, it reduces the chances of having a better pick next year, which is what most of us want to help the rebuild.
Family issues, and the guy wants out..........pretty simple guys.
We need to trade a vet like this.........a few of them in fact. We absolutely need to bottom out this year, and pick high, preferably #1 or #2
Let Petry fetch us a pick or prospect.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Family issues, and the guy wants out..........pretty simple guys.
We need to trade a vet like this.........a few of them in fact. We absolutely need to bottom out this year, and pick high, preferably #1 or #2
Let Petry fetch us a pick or prospect.
Don't forget, bottom out next year too.
And honestly, if there's even a whiff of a deal, I'd be sitting Petry in the press box.

Reactions: BLONG7

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I believe the context we hear from media and fans and how that's comprehended is flawed. What I believe is Petry has asked for a trade but he is not in their face about it saying it needs to happen right away. Petry's value is not in question with me and no doubt other teams will try to figure out a way to acquire but we are not just going to move him cause we have to. Look at how long it took for us to move Patch. Takes two sides to make a deal where both sides are happy

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
Still shocked and flabbergasted that absolutely no one responded when that googly eyed mental midget Kassian leveled Montembault.They all skated off the ice like weak pathetic scared wimps and sheep. It was one of the lowest points that I can remember as a lifelong hab's fan and an embarrassment to the honor and dignity of the sweater. The only guy to respond was our favourite mullet Pezzetta while the rest were weak cowards. Which players were on the ice during that disgusting display? It shows that whatever is out there now is not a team but a collection of gutless salary suckers.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Petry's poor play could be due to a couple things.
1. Old age (it's a possibility. Some guys just fall off at this age).
2. He permanently damaged his hand by playing with it injured last year.
3. Just a bad yesr.
4. He's not the same on current team in current role with Weber and eddy out. So, should bounce back elsewhere.

I still think we're a bad team because of lack of talent and all the injuries.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Still shocked and flabbergasted that absolutely no one responded when that googly eyed mental midget Kassian leveled Montembault.They all skated off the ice like weak pathetic scared wimps and sheep. It was one of the lowest points that I can remember as a lifelong hab's fan and an embarrassment to the honor and dignity of the sweater. The only guy to respond was our favourite mullet Pezzetta while the rest were weak cowards. Which players were on the ice during that disgusting display? It shows that whatever is out there now is not a team but a collection of gutless salary suckers.

Quite the prima donna with the overreaction. sad shit like this has happened in the past. Your memory is either not that good or you are 12 and don't have a long history of watching the Habs.

Hell, Petry himself once stood by Price without reacting as Price had to start pummeling the opponent with his blocker in self-defence.

Yeah, it's not most edifying reaction from Petry, but it's not new, earth-shattering, or anything like that.

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
There’s a reason why we got Petry for cheap…It will be hard for Hughes to get a good return, we will see what he’s made of with that trade.

Reactions: amethyst

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
Quite the prima donna with the overreaction. sad shit like this has happened in the past. Your memory is either not that good or you are 12 and don't have a long history of watching the Habs.

Hell, Petry himself once stood by Price without reacting as Price had to start pummeling the opponent with his blocker in self-defence.

Yeah, it's not most edifying reaction from Petry, but it's not new, earth-shattering, or anything like that.
It was weak and pathetic.Maybe acceptable for some, but not for this guy .Been watching the habs since 1979 when I was knee high to a grasshopper. I was referring to all the players on the ice at the time as well.Skated off like cowards.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Does this scream Nashville to anyone else?

Nashville has the cap space to fit him, he’d immediately make their top 4 even stronger, plus you could throw in the Weber contract to increase the return of greater assets and allow them to get out of any recapture penalties

I’d want something like:
Zach L’Heureux
2022 1st round pick
Phillipe Myers

For Petry and Weber.

Habs get a tough scoring pest gars de chez nous prospect, a 1st and a big body defenseman on a short deal. Preds load up for multiple shots at the cup and get out of any cap issues they may face down the road… without giving up too much of their future.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I think a lot of NHL'ers see the open rinks in the USA, no lockdowns and it sounds like a lot more fun. BC is close to being wide open again, not many restrictions.. but that would be rough to keep playing in empty arenas in Montreal AND losing.

Reactions: Boris Le Tigre

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
There’s a reason why we got Petry for cheap…It will be hard for Hughes to get a good return, we will see what he’s made of with that trade.
Marc Bergevin paid a 4th for Marco Scandella and got back a 2nd and a 4th for him 6 weeks later. I don't think Jeff Petry's play in 2014 is going to be an issue after how good he's been with Montreal.

Yeah we're definitely going to miss him, and he'll be difficult to replace. If he were like 29 or 30 I'd be more open to keeping him around but at his age I think you're just leaving too much value on the table to hold on to him.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAVO16

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I think a lot of NHL'ers see the open rinks in the USA, no lockdowns and it sounds like a lot more fun. BC is close to being wide open again, not many restrictions.. but that would be rough to keep playing in empty arenas in Montreal AND losing.

I'll one up you about the open and close thing.

Schools, sports, social activities for kids.

These things are all super important to how young kids develop. The Petry's have 3 young children (I believe all 6 and under).

Like I said on the main board, the lockdowns haven't been too bad on some people like me I'm 24 work from home still see friends etc.

But the damage/developmental delays on young kids may not well be known for a decade with lack of school and social interaction.

If I had young kids I'd be looking at opportunities in the States with places trying to balance the seriousness of COVID and the future of children.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
People wonder why players don't want to come here or want to leave as soon as they can...this crap of tweeting Petry and his wife is just terrible.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I'll one up you about the open and close thing.

Schools, sports, social activities for kids.

These things are all super important to how young kids develop. The Petry's have 3 young children (I believe all 6 and under).

Like I said on the main board, the lockdowns haven't been too bad on some people like me I'm 24 work from home still see friends etc.

But the damage/developmental delays on young kids may not well be known for a decade with lack of school and social interaction.

If I had young kids I'd be looking at opportunities in the States with places trying to balance the seriousness of COVID and the future of children.

I'd be a complete wreck if I had to send my kids to school in the US. I can't imagine going from fire drills in Canadian schools to active shooter drills in US schools is good for mental health.

The restrictions will come to an end at some point.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Does this scream Nashville to anyone else?

Nashville has the cap space to fit him, he’d immediately make their top 4 even stronger, plus you could throw in the Weber contract to increase the return of greater assets and allow them to get out of any recapture penalties

I’d want something like:
Zach L’Heureux
2022 1st round pick
Phillipe Myers

For Petry and Weber.

Habs get a tough scoring pest gars de chez nous prospect, a 1st and a big body defenseman on a short deal. Preds load up for multiple shots at the cup and get out of any cap issues they may face down the road… without giving up too much of their future.

I really don't dislike the idea of L'Heureux and Myers, but if Hughes want to keep Weber in the entourage of the team, that's not happening.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I'd be a complete wreck if I had to send my kids to school in the US. I can't imagine going from fire drills in Canadian schools to active shooter drills in US schools is good for mental health.

The restrictions will come to an end at some point.

That wasn't the point...

The point was kids in the states are going to school's consistently,have organized sports back, swimming lessons etc.

Those things are extremely important to the development of children. And that of I was a parent I could see why they'd want their young children to have those back asap.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
That wasn't the point...

The point was kids in the states are going to school's consistently,have organized sports back, swimming lessons etc.

Those things are extremely important to the development of children. And that of I was a parent I could see why they'd want their young children to have those back asap.

I get your point. My point is the bad heavily outweighs the good according to my values and I'm happy where I am. There are many reasons why people in Canada live longer on average than people south of the border. Although not an ideal situation with restrictions, my kids are playing sports and doing fine while learning life lessons that sometimes a civil society needs to make sacrifices. It will be over soon. For crissakes my grandparents went through two world wars, lots of deaths, a global depression, several fatal diseases and many other hardships that today's generations have never had to face. Their descendants have done alright.

Back to topic...
Hopefully we get a decent return for Petry and he's happy wherever he lands.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
People wonder why players don't want to come here or want to leave as soon as they can...this crap of tweeting Petry and his wife is just terrible.
Lol that's sad but this happens in every sports with major cities stop saying this is a Habs thing only This is far from the first time this kind of thing happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad