Jeff Petry: NHL to Stay?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Technically, one per team. And guess what, you're "top pairing defenseman" totally is what most of us hope for, a number two guy who does his job well.

Not really. Are you trying to tell me a guy like Henrik Tallinder is a #1 defenseman because he plays the most minutes of the defensemen on the Devils?

I was arguing against Petry becoming a #1 defenseman, not against him becoming a top pairing defenseman. That's certainly within his reach.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Do you know how many #1 defensemen there are in the NHL? I doubt Petry comes close, he could be a top pairing defenseman if he continues his play.

I had people telling me Michael Del Zotto was going to be a top 10 defenseman and a 50-60 point #1 defenseman after his rookie season. Defensemen don't always have a straight upwards curve.

That's exactly why I said could. Right now he seems like he will be, he is so calm and you cant really point out anything bad about his play. He has a rocket of a shot, he plays physical, he makes great passes, he slows things down and he is great both offensively and defensively. To be honest, I can only recall him making one mistake ever since being called up and that was in like his second game, other than that he has been playing spectacular. However with that said, you cant tell if he is going to be a number 1 or not, if he continues to develop and play like the way he has, then I think he just might become a number 1 defencemen, if not then I think he will be a number 2 defencemen. How many times have you watched Petry play? Just watch him for 3-5 games and you will see what I am talking about.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I dont think there is anyway Renney could send Petry down the way he has been playing. He has risen to the challenge and playing long minutes and a good game. Chorney has been playing well too.

I don't think Renney would either. Renney has given Petry some tremendous praise recently.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
I'm not at all surprised he was able to come in and be productive, I just didn't think with the contract to Foster, that he'd get the opportunity until next year. He's not going to be sent back down this year, and I think it's pretty safe to say he'll be a full time Oiler next year as well.

In a perfect world, the Oilers would find someone more proven to man the top pairing with Whitney and Petry would slide into Foster's spot on the 3rd pair with Smid, leaving the 2nd pairing of Peckham/Gilbert (which has actually been the top pair even before Whitney got hurt as far as matchups go) in tact. But the Oilers threw Gilbert to the wolves in his first full season after showing promise as a callup the year before, and they don't look at all interested in actually improving the team, so I think it's more likely they pair Whitney with Petry and keep the rest of the pairings as they are. Next year's defense will probably look about the same as this year's defense which was arguably the worst in the league.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I'm not at all surprised he was able to come in and be productive, I just didn't think with the contract to Foster, that he'd get the opportunity until next year. He's not going to be sent back down this year, and I think it's pretty safe to say he'll be a full time Oiler next year as well.

In a perfect world, the Oilers would find someone more proven to man the top pairing with Whitney and Petry would slide into Foster's spot on the 3rd pair with Smid, leaving the 2nd pairing of Peckham/Gilbert (which has actually been the top pair even before Whitney got hurt as far as matchups go) in tact. But the Oilers threw Gilbert to the wolves in his first full season after showing promise as a callup the year before, and they don't look at all interested in actually improving the team, so I think it's more likely they pair Whitney with Petry and keep the rest of the pairings as they are. Next year's defense will probably look about the same as this year's defense which was arguably the worst in the league.

Nope, we will have Larsson in the line up instead of Foster ;)

GDU

Dec 19, 2008

at this point i would hope the same that we sign a solid guy to play with whitney in our #1 pair, but play peckham and petry together as the number two and then chorney/smid/gilbert/foster/vandemeer (just cause i like him lol) can fight it out for the bottom pairing... honestly with maricin being in the mix next year and maybe even larsson, i would not be shocked if one of gilbert/smid leaves at the deadline...

a nucleus of larsson/whitney/petry/peckham/marincin sounds pretty good to me lol...

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
at this point i would hope the same that we sign a solid guy to play with whitney in our #1 pair, but play peckham and petry together as the number two and then chorney/smid/gilbert/foster/vandemeer (just cause i like him lol) can fight it out for the bottom pairing... honestly with maricin being in the mix next year and maybe even larsson, i would not be shocked if one of gilbert/smid leaves at the deadline...

a nucleus of larsson/whitney/petry/peckham/marincin sounds pretty good to me lol...

Marincin wont make the team next year for sure. Also I highly doubt we bring back Vandermeer.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I think next year the oiler pairings will look like this.

Whitney - Gilbert
Petry - Peckham
Fosters - Smid

I could live with that, though I wish Foster wasn't here next year. I'd rather roll with this:

Whitney - Gilbert
Petry - Smid
Chorney - Peckham

Chorney has seemingly worked pretty hard on his game in the AHL this year and has been pretty good in his short stint so far this year. This is only a dream because I know we won't get rid of Foster until he walks in a year and a half, but it's worth dreaming of...

GDU

Dec 19, 2008
Marincin wont make the team next year for sure. Also I highly doubt we bring back Vandermeer.

ur prob right, altho he is basically the best d man in the western hockey league right now, or top three... what about larsson if we draft him, he's likely going to be there, i think smid or gilbert isnt with us next year (hopefully gilbert)

ItsTheBGB

Borusse!!
Aug 30, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Do you know how many #1 defensemen there are in the NHL? I doubt Petry comes close, he could be a top pairing defenseman if he continues his play.

I had people telling me Michael Del Zotto was going to be a top 10 defenseman and a 50-60 point #1 defenseman after his rookie season. Defensemen don't always have a straight upwards curve.

There's a difference between MDZ and Petry, Petry was brought up slowly and it's paying off. I wish Edmonton did this with Gagner and MPS.

ItsTheBGB

Borusse!!
Aug 30, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Are we trading Gilbert for OEL, or who's the other Larsson?
8311.larsson.jpg

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
I could live with that, though I wish Foster wasn't here next year. I'd rather roll with this:

Whitney - Gilbert
Petry - Smid
Chorney - Peckham

Chorney has seemingly worked pretty hard on his game in the AHL this year and has been pretty good in his short stint so far this year. This is only a dream because I know we won't get rid of Foster until he walks in a year and a half, but it's worth dreaming of...

I'm going to have to uhh... strongly disagree with this. I'd rather see Plante. I agree about Foster though, he's bad.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Why have two RHD, and two LHD paired up? It is stupid to make two guys play the opposite wrong side...

Larsson actually plays the left side, Gilbert actually plays right so that makes sense. Smid plays left and according to himself might have a hard time playing right so I think having Peckham on the right side makes more sense.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Larsson actually plays the left side, Gilbert actually plays right so that makes sense. Smid plays left and according to himself might have a hard time playing right so I think having Peckham on the right side makes more sense.

Since when?

So Gilbert (currently the Oilers' best defenseman by a country mile) has to fight it out with a guy who's pretty much a guarantee to be gone next year, a free agent signing who has been a complete failure from the word go, the kid who was 4th on the Oilers' call-up priority this year, and Smid for the 3rd pairing? I'm not sure there's anything I can say honestly about this that won't get me an infraction.

HemskyToHall*

Not really. Are you trying to tell me a guy like Henrik Tallinder is a #1 defenseman because he plays the most minutes of the defensemen on the Devils?

I was arguing against Petry becoming a #1 defenseman, not against him becoming a top pairing defenseman. That's certainly within his reach.

he came out of no where, like duncan keith. both played for michigan and petry came out with better stats. who knows.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
i've gotta say...Petry has really impressed in his time up with the big club this year. he just makes a lot of smart little plays.

obviously there's still quite a ways to go before he's a top-end defender in the NHL...but he seems to really understand the game well and i don't see any reason he couldn't be a big contributor to the Oilers blueline for the long-term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad