Jeff Petry: NHL to Stay?

HemskyToHall*

Please tell me you aren't expecting, hoping or even thinking Petry will be the Oilers version of Duncan Keith :shakehead

Of course not, I may be a homer but come on.

All I'm saying is that both were college players who were groomed and developed slowly in the minors and that's looking better in the long-haul.

Top pairing I can see. I doubt it, but if he even becomes a 2nd pairing defenseman, Edmonton came out with a hell of a draft in 2006 during their cup run year without a first round pick.

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005
Not really. Are you trying to tell me a guy like Henrik Tallinder is a #1 defenseman because he plays the most minutes of the defensemen on the Devils?

On the flipside, were Pronger and Neidermayer not both #1 D-men when they were playing together in Anaheim? There should be roughly 30 players of "#1" calibre playing the NHL, or else the definition of "#1" is straying way too far from its semantic origin. They don't necessarily have to be 1 per team, but if you've only got 5 or 10 "#1 d-men" in a 30 team league, somethings wrong with the definition.

GDU

Dec 19, 2008
Since when?

So Gilbert (currently the Oilers' best defenseman by a country mile)

what team have u been watching this year? cause if u think gilbert has been the best defenseman u havent been watching the oilers...

i don't even know what say about this statement, you can't be serious... Gilbert has been horrible this year, beyond horrible, the minnesota game he stopped skating on what he thought was an icing, then when he realized it wasn't icing he panicked, tripped and minnesota scored, he doesn't hit, and gets pushed off the puck by basically any forward with a pulse, but yeah he's been great...

seriously, i would really like to hear how u think he's even in the conversation of being better than whitney, peckham, petry or even vandemeer for that matter... the oilers defense sucks, and gilbert has been the worst of the bunch thus far, it's a shame because he ended last year playing pretty well...

GDU

Dec 19, 2008
Please tell me you aren't expecting, hoping or even thinking Petry will be the Oilers version of Duncan Keith :shakehead

yawn...

he has the potential to be a very good player in the same mold as keith...is that deferential enough to keith's greatness :laugh:

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
what team have u been watching this year? cause if u think gilbert has been the best defenseman u havent been watching the oilers...

i don't even know what say about this statement, you can't be serious... Gilbert has been horrible this year, beyond horrible, the minnesota game he stopped skating on what he thought was an icing, then when he realized it wasn't icing he panicked, tripped and minnesota scored, he doesn't hit, and gets pushed off the puck by basically any forward with a pulse, but yeah he's been great...

seriously, i would really like to hear how u think he's even in the conversation of being better than whitney, peckham, petry or even vandemeer for that matter... the oilers defense sucks, and gilbert has been the worst of the bunch thus far, it's a shame because he ended last year playing pretty well...

hahaha!

Yep...we clearly have nothing more to say to each other on the subject of Gilbert (and probably hockey in general). But for the record, I didn't say he was better than Whitney (Whitney is gone for the year, so I was just talking about everyone else), but I also don't think Whitney is anywhere near as far ahead of him as you and a lot of other Oiler board posters seem to think either.

Last edited:

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Larsson actually plays the left side, Gilbert actually plays right so that makes sense. Smid plays left and according to himself might have a hard time playing right so I think having Peckham on the right side makes more sense.

He played the right side at the WJC, i dunno about the SEL, but i would assume he'd play his most comfortable side at a tournament like the WJC where he is the top dog...

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
hahaha!

Yep...we clearly have nothing more to say to each other on the subject of Gilbert (and probably hockey in general). But for the record, I didn't say he was better than Whitney (Whitney is gone for the year, so I was just talking about everyone else), but I also don't think Whitney is anywhere near as far ahead of him as you and a lot of other Oiler board posters seem to think either.

Whitney was well clear of every Oiler defender in every area, and I question the sanity of anyone who watched the Oilers with him in the line-up and disagrees.

Dougie Seguin

2011 Cup Champs
May 2, 2010
Massachusetts
another solid game for the kid, despite another bad Oilers outcome.

what amazes me is that he had almost 24 minutes of ice time (second to only Gilbert), and was not a minus player with 4 goals scored against. That says a lot about the kid.

and the other amazing part is besides Tom Gilbert, there isnt a single soul on the Oilers that had anywhere near the amount of icetime that Petry had. I think Petry averaged 6-8 minutes more ice time then any other dman or forward on the squad. that is simply amazing for a rookie defender.

CONGRATS ON THE FIRST GOAL KID, KEEP EM COMING!!

Between Petry, McBain, and Shattenkirk, the NCAA has produced 3 very high end young dmen this year. and we can soon include Ryan McDonaugh to that group, as he has looked very solid as well. very nice futures for all those young dmen.
Steven Kampfer too

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
hahaha!

Yeah, I think Oilers posters are going overboard with the Petry hype a bit in this thread (being an Oilers fan myself), I just hope for him to become a top 4 defenseman eventually if this team is an actual threat. But you are so far off base with Whitney, Gilbert is basically a piece of garbage masquerading around in an Oilers uniform. Whitney is able to control the pace of the game when he is on the ice and is basically a one-man breakout machine, not to mention the leadership he has shown since he got here. His importance to the Oilers cannot be understated. Just take a look at the PP percentage since he got injured (simply a statistical indicator).

Gilbert honestly does not even possess anywhere near the potential to become close to how good Whitney currently is. I'm not one of those fans that thinks Whitney should be a Norris candidate. He is a very good defenseman that can be the best defenseman on a playoff team, however. You are just so severely off-base in your assessment that I have to question whether or not you have seen Whitney play more than one game as an Oiler, or Gilbert for that matter.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm a little surprised that he has shown such a seamless transition to the NHL game but most Oiler fans knew for years that this guy had a lot of potential, it's just other team's fans who had no idea about this kid's potential. I recall seeing a lot of posts about the Oilers having Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi and nothing else.

I would still like to see him add about 10-15 lbs of muscle but he is so good with his stickwork and is so smooth with the puck that he might not need to add that much weight to reach his full potential. He reminds me of a taller but not quite as fast Visnovsky (not saying he will be as good, just comparing styles).
If he turns out to be a top pairing defenseman, that will be a bonus considering where he was picked but he certainly has the tools.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
hahaha!

Really? Whitney was the Oilers MVP by far until he went down to injury, the difference between Whitney's play this year and Gilbert isn't even close and we can see how much the team has suffered since Whitney went down. Jim freaking Vandermeer was playing like a top 4 defenseman alongside Whitney until he got injured and Gilbert played the best hockey of his career alongside Whitney last year, that shows how much better Whitney made everybody else look.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
One of the things I'm most impressed about with Petry is his ability to get pucks through to the net. I think I've only seen one of his shots get blocked the whole time he has been up, he is very good at getting pucks to the net. This is something that is lacking for the Oil at the moment. Can't tell you how many times I've seen Foster blast the puck into a players shinpads, none of our D seem to be able to consistently find ways to get pucks on net other than Petry. Whitney is very high on Petry and I wouldn't be surprised to see them as a pairing next year, I'm very pleased with how he is playing so far.

Last edited:

HemskyToHall*

He logged 27 mins last night, he's already the oilers best defenseman.

GDU

Dec 19, 2008
But you are so far off base with Whitney, Gilbert is basically a piece of garbage masquerading around in an Oilers uniform. Whitney is able to control the pace of the game when he is on the ice and is basically a one-man breakout machine, not to mention the leadership he has shown since he got here. His importance to the Oilers cannot be understated. Just take a look at the PP percentage since he got injured (simply a statistical indicator).

Gilbert honestly does not even possess anywhere near the potential to become close to how good Whitney currently is. I'm not one of those fans that thinks Whitney should be a Norris candidate. He is a very good defenseman that can be the best defenseman on a playoff team, however. You are just so severely off-base in your assessment that I have to question whether or not you have seen Whitney play more than one game as an Oiler, or Gilbert for that matter.

Really? Whitney was the Oilers MVP by far until he went down to injury, the difference between Whitney's play this year and Gilbert isn't even close and we can see how much the team has suffered since Whitney went down. Jim freaking Vandermeer was playing like a top 4 defenseman alongside Whitney until he got injured and Gilbert played the best hockey of his career alongside Whitney last year, that shows how much better Whitney made everybody else look.

glad to see im not the only one who feels this way about gilbert... i hope he gets his confidence back, but i won't cry if we unload him at the deadline or draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad