Jeff Petry: NHL to Stay?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
This has been one of my favorite prospects for some time now, and it looks like he is finally getting a deserved shot at a full time blueline job for the woeful Oilers..

Question to you Oiler fans is: Is Petry up for good?

He has been playing over 20 minutes a night, and is a plus 1 through 10 games on a terrible Oilers team. That is simply amazing. I knew he could be a solid two way defender, but being a plus player on the Oilers blueline this early on is very encouraging.

Thoughts on his play, his future, and will he stick for good...

thanks

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I think Petry has been amazing for us as a rookie. He doesn't really seem to make mistakes and he plays a very good two way game. With Whitney out, I believe Petry is going to stay, there is no reason to send him down. It's kind of hard to predict what he will be in the future, he could be a number 1 defencemen but I think most Oilers fans are expecting him to become a number 2 defencemen

HemskyToHall*

he's been the only defenseman I have trust in at the moment since whitney is out, he's played well so far potential top pairing guy.

GDU

Dec 19, 2008
he is a great prospect, great skater, calm with the puck and makes plays, reminds me of duncan keith...

Oilerfan120582

Jul 9, 2005
With Whitney out I can't imagine him going back down. Even if Whitney was back he'd probably still stick in the NHL, he's been one of the few bright spots lately.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
He's with the club for the rest of the year IMO. He's been one of our best Dman since Whitney went down.

zeus3007*

Since Whitney has gone down, Petry and Peckham have been our best two d-men (with flashes from Gilbert). I don't see him going back to the AHL.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Petry is already taking PP time from Foster.

I bet we'll see him playing on the top pairing with Whitney next year.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The poise is definitely above NHL average, just so calm with the puck. Most people would be happy with just that from a rookie Dman. However, thats not even his greatest attribute. I really think he might be one of the 10 best Dmen when it comes to skating. This kid just flies. No doubt in my mind he's here to stay this year and likely gets a shot at top pairing with Whitney next year.

I'm glad he took his time developing his game in US collegiate hockey.

Ogopogo*

Petry has been very good since his call up. With Whitney out for the year, I believe Petry is in the NHL to stay.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
He's so smooth out there and doesn't seem to have a single sub-par aspect of his game. He has a good, quick stick, doesn't shy away from the tough stuff, has an excellent first pass, a bomb of a shot. He plays mature beyond his years and may just be the most impressive Oiler rookie this season. I'd say it's between him and Eberle at this point.

Man, the kid's good. Wasn't expecting this level of performance from him.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
another solid game for the kid, despite another bad Oilers outcome.

what amazes me is that he had almost 24 minutes of ice time (second to only Gilbert), and was not a minus player with 4 goals scored against. That says a lot about the kid.

and the other amazing part is besides Tom Gilbert, there isnt a single soul on the Oilers that had anywhere near the amount of icetime that Petry had. I think Petry averaged 6-8 minutes more ice time then any other dman or forward on the squad. that is simply amazing for a rookie defender.

CONGRATS ON THE FIRST GOAL KID, KEEP EM COMING!!

Between Petry, McBain, and Shattenkirk, the NCAA has produced 3 very high end young dmen this year. and we can soon include Ryan McDonaugh to that group, as he has looked very solid as well. very nice futures for all those young dmen.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
Before his stint in the NHL, I probably would have estimated Petry's potential as solid #3-4 guy, basically Tom Gilbert level. I honestly wouldn't be shocked in the least if Petry becomes a top-pairing, first PP unit guy.

Clownpipe*

Petry's been solid. Nice to see him get thrown into the fire. He should be here for the remainder. Foster is terrible. If anybody goes to the AHL it should be him.

mps91

Oct 15, 2010
I dont think there is anyway Renney could send Petry down the way he has been playing. He has risen to the challenge and playing long minutes and a good game. Chorney has been playing well too.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
It's kind of hard to predict what he will be in the future, he could be a number 1 defencemen but I think most Oilers fans are expecting him to become a number 2 defencemen

Do you know how many #1 defensemen there are in the NHL? I doubt Petry comes close, he could be a top pairing defenseman if he continues his play.

I had people telling me Michael Del Zotto was going to be a top 10 defenseman and a 50-60 point #1 defenseman after his rookie season. Defensemen don't always have a straight upwards curve.

zeus3007*

Do you know how many #1 defensemen there are in the NHL? I doubt Petry comes close, he could be a top pairing defenseman if he continues his play.

I had people telling me Michael Del Zotto was going to be a top 10 defenseman and a 50-60 point #1 defenseman after his rookie season. Defensemen don't always have a straight upwards curve.

Technically, one per team. And guess what, you're "top pairing defenseman" totally is what most of us hope for, a number two guy who does his job well.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
I've got to admit i knew nothing about Petry until this season and i've got to say i've been more than thrilled with his performance thus far. Like everyone before me who watched a few of his games already pointed out, since his call up he's been our best dman by far. He's NHL ready, there's no doubt about it and if he is returned to the AHL this season it would be a huge mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->