Jeff Petry "Its nice not to have cliques"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Hey Connor.. Not only are you expected to lead this team back to the promised land, but you have to make sure 22 grown babies all get along too. NO pressure kid. :sarcasm:

Oct 15, 2008
The people slagging Petry in this thread need a quick dose of reality. He was the best defenceman on a bad team for three years and no-one appreciated him. There ARE cliques in the dressing room; this is pretty well known.

Petry didn't say anything that was unfair, untrue, or bitter.

Nonsense. He had one good year here. The rest were crap. He was never our best dman. He was definitely taking a shot at his former team/teammates. Whether it was true or not, it likely was to Petry. Im not sure it is something people should be alarmed about. Likely goes with the territory with a perennial last place team.

Jun 9, 2011
It was obvious from scuffles in the media and things said on ice that the team had dissention. There are likely cliques in the rookies too. It's going to happen. Sometimes a team just comes together better and every influx of new guys shuffles the deck. Succeeding together is a great for bonding. Vancover Canucks do a lot of team bonding fun things, the Oilers should look into that.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
The next time the Habs win a game, I will pay particular close attention, to see if Price and P.K. "include" Petry in their low-five clap celebration.

:sarcasm:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Hey Connor.. Not only are you expected to lead this team back to the promised land, but you have to make sure 22 grown babies all get along too. NO pressure kid. :sarcasm:

This one is on everybody, except the likes of McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse, Reinhart, and other rookies. McLellan, the current veteran leaders (Ference and Hendricks), and the older "core" players need to solve this; otherwise, Chiarelli will. I think Chiarelli is watching to see how much of the rumored problems are true and who is on-board with the new regime and who wants to continue there old ways. Anyone, including the core players, not buying in the team atmosphere will be prime candidates for trade fodder to acquire what the team needs come New Year 2016.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Hopefully one day soon some of the young players on our team that have had their heads up their butts get them removed. One player in particular mentioning no names.

Let me guess, it's all Hall's fault right?

We know this for sure because.....he was at the bar one time. Oh and he got mad at Yakupov once. All the evidence one needs to assassinate his character.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nonsense. He had one good year here. The rest were crap. He was never our best dman. He was definitely taking a shot at his former team/teammates. Whether it was true or not, it likely was to Petry. Im not sure it is something people should be alarmed about. Likely goes with the territory with a perennial last place team.

Oh come on IATL, that's blatant revisionist history. It's not close at all.

2011-2012 Oiler D:

Barker, Chorney, Gilbert, Peckham, Petry, Plante, Potter, Nultz, whoever the hell Bryan Rodney is, Smid, Sutton, Teubert, Broken Ryan Whitney.

2012-2013 Oiler D:

Fistric, Broken Ryan Whitney, Smid, Jultz, Nultz, Corey Power Potter Play, Teddy Peckman, and Petry.

2013-2014 Oiler D:

Belov, Fedun, TheCaptianAndrewFerence, Fraser, Grebeshkov, Hunt, Klefbom, Marincin, Larsen, Jultz, Nultz, Smid, and Petry.

God, look at that cast of misfits. I'm depressed now.

Oiler11

Oct 6, 2006
Meh, way too much being read into that statement. It probably is the most unified team Petry has ever been on, it is the only winning team he's even been on too. Easy to all buy-in to the team when it's winning, losing teams are going to have a lot of issues - dissent, blaming, apathy. How many lottery teams are tight and close-knit?

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
It is funny this is coming out of Montreal. A place with a history of teammates fighting in practice. Could you imagine the uproar on this forum if Taylor hall and nail yakupov got in an on ice tiff during practice?

When you're a bad team and losing on a lot of nights there are going to be unhappy people in the dressing room. When you start winning everyone gets happy. Considering how bad this team has been for years it's no surprise there are people who don't get along. I mean Christ, I remember when this crap was supposedly happening with the vets and the young guys when the young guys were gagner and cogiliano and Ethan Moreau was some big bad boogeyman. Start winning games and any dressing room issues will disappear. And this team won't start winning games until they have the horses to do so. And that's got nothing to do with locker room personalities.

Perfect post is perfect.
:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Oct 15, 2008
Oh come on IATL, that's blatant revisionist history. It's not close at all.

2011-2012 Oiler D:

Barker, Chorney, Gilbert, Peckham, Petry, Plante, Potter, Nultz, whoever the hell Bryan Rodney is, Smid, Sutton, Teubert, Broken Ryan Whitney.

2012-2013 Oiler D:

Fistric, Broken Ryan Whitney, Smid, Jultz, Nultz, Corey Power Potter Play, Teddy Peckman, and Petry.

2013-2014 Oiler D:

Belov, Fedun, TheCaptianAndrewFerence, Fraser, Grebeshkov, Hunt, Klefbom, Marincin, Larsen, Jultz, Nultz, Smid, and Petry.

God, look at that cast of misfits. I'm depressed now.

2011/12 he was our best dman. The rest, not so much. It was actually pretty disappointing to see him regress and sink back into the mire after showing so much promise that season.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

Very surprised that you hold this view on Petry given that it falls pretty much exactly in line with MacT's position on the issue.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

We know this for sure because.....he was at the bar one time. Oh and he got mad at Yakupov once. All the evidence one needs to assassinate his character.

This has nothing to do with bars. I also said mentioning no names so there's that part too. There has definitely been a clique here and one player in particular really needs to grow up. The good news is that I heard some positive news on that front from this offseason so here's to hoping that the maturation process has finally begun.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
This has nothing to do with bars. I also said mentioning no names so there's that part too. There has definitely been a clique here and one player in particular really needs to grow up. The good news is that I heard some positive news on that front from this offseason so here's to hoping that the maturation process has finally begun.

Oh come on. You might as well mention his name. Everyone and their dog knows who you're talking about and that you've got a vendetta against him. Don't throw Hall under the bus and hide behind "not going to mention names."

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton
I can't believe there are still people attacking players for making comments like this... Seriously, what would it take for some people to realize what a mess this whole franchise has been, top-to-bottom?

'Classless'? He barely said anything at all. 'Bitter'? Yeah, Im sure he's really choked about playing on a better team for more money.

This was my thought too. We know the dressing room has been a gong show forever. Are people really surprised?

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Good on Petry for saying this. For years as fans we would sit here and attack players that leave for speaking the truth. This organization is an absolute joke and has been for years. Management has been pathetic and have not iced a proper team since ever. It's no wonder players flourish when they leave. Hopefully this changes with the new regime, winning usually solves most problems.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Good on Petry for saying this. For years as fans we would sit here and attack players that leave for speaking the truth. This organization is an absolute joke and has been for years. Management has been pathetic and have not iced a proper team since ever. It's no wonder players flourish when they leave. Hopefully this changes with the new regime, winning usually solves most problems.

I'd be really curious to see the list of players that left Edmonton and went on to flourish.

The only one I can think of is Cogliano and even than it was more of "accepting that I'm a 3rd liner" than flourishing.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
I'd be really curious to see the list of players that left Edmonton and went on to flourish.

The only one I can think of is Cogliano and even than it was more of "accepting that I'm a 3rd liner" than flourishing.

Cogliano did after accepting a third line role
Dubnyk did after 2 other orgs did not want him
Petry (small sample size) looked great in a Habs jersey during their playoffs
Tobias Reider looked great in Arizona after leaving the org

off the top of my head, I'm sure I could find others

Mind you, a lot of the players we have also just suck and won't do well anywhere.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
every sports team has cliques

Really? Mess would pick you up from the airport when you were a new player in town and ask if you needed a place to stay.

Cue Yak and the team never does a thing with him. You seriously think Mess would shun a potentially valuable player? Or anybody?

Damn straight he'd allow a team mate the dignity of being addressed in the dressing room instead of showing him up right on the ice in front of a sold out crowd.

Even Nelson and Roy last year mentioned he wanted to approach Yak differently and take the time to talk to him individually which he did. The results of that contribution being obvious. One of the more interesting things last year was Eakins saying he sits down and talks to all the players and Yak expressing he didn't get that during Eakins era.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Oh come on. You might as well mention his name. Everyone and their dog knows who you're talking about and that you've got a vendetta against him. Don't throw Hall under the bus and hide behind "not going to mention names."

At least its not Gagner.

OK I'm jk, trying to throw some levity out there.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Nobody is assassinating character its fairly well known Hall is still immature, capable of displacing anger, breaking sticks, scowling at inanimate objects, yelling at a scapegoated player on the ice. Getting into it with an idiot coach on the bench.

Hall has a decided penchant for wearing his anger on his shoulder and not keeping it under wrap of dressingroom only venue.

In team sport theres a main place to address concerns. Under wraps in the dressingroom.

With Hall its quite easy to know visually what he's thinking. This guy would get called out in any boardroom. Should happen on a team as well. But behind closed doors. The trouble is Hall, even though he's embarked on actions he has no licence to do, he's had the apparent support of some of the kidstars and even the Coach the past 2 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad