Confirmed with Link: Jeff Petry (50% retained) traded to DET for Gustav Lindström and conditional 4th-round pick in 2025 (later of Detroit or Boston's pick)

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Do you have any proof that MTL is viewed as this no-sign place because it's toxic?
Why would anyone like this post? I never said it was. Although under the MB era did any good player sign as a FA except Toffoli? But if Hughes is going out of his way to tell the media he was going to meet Petry's wishes it might be because he knows it was pretty much a no sign place in the MB era.
Now Hughes could have been blowing smoke with the Petry deal. If no one was offering much more than Detroit might as well get some good will out of the trade.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Why would anyone like this post? I never said it was. Although under the MB era did any good player sign as a FA except Toffoli? But if Hughes is going out of his way to tell the media he was going to meet Petry's wishes it might be because he knows it was pretty much a no sign place in the MB era.
Now Hughes could have been blowing smoke with the Petry deal. If no one was offering much more than Detroit might as well get some good will out of the trade.
Corey f***ing Perry signed here! I don't need any more proof that Bergy was a good GM! :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: CharleyHorse

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Not if you give assets away for nothing.
Sorry I don't follow your logic. First of all we didn't get nothing. What if the deal was announced as a four way where Petry to Detroit with an additional 50% retention was the only way to make the Karlsson trade happen. Did we really get nothing or should we not have gotten involved? I think what happens with De Smith and Lindstrom has to be part of the accounting process to be fair. Secondly does who or what a player gets transacted for reflect negatively on how an organization shows respect to it's players? :huh:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
That’s the vibe I got from the trade. An attempt for some positive PR to let players know what kind of culture we have here now to increase interest in players coming here.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
That’s the vibe I got from the trade. An attempt for some positive PR to let players know what kind of culture we have here now to increase interest in players coming here.
To attract the right FA's etc you build a team that can contend and a tight knit group that has character (unlike Wheeler, Scheifele etc). Add in treating the players well. a good medical and training staff and development coaches like Nicholas and you should be able to add the missing pieces when the time comes.

Reactions: FloJack

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Johansen had a really bad year and Nashville clearly just wanted to get rid of him...Colorado took a chance on him being able to rebound.

Burns was already 37 years old and had 3 more years on his deal, same story, Sharks just wanted to get out of that contract.

Hayes is the same story... He was signed till 25/26.

Petry at 4.5M$ for 2 seasons is nowhere close to those contracts.

While I agree with this only one player listed above did a team (Pittsburgh) have to retain and give up assets (2nd round pick) to get rid of the contract. Petry, with a 15 team NTC, didn’t have any value at a salary of $4.68 million. Maybe that would have changed if they traded him earlier in the off-season when teams had more Cap space or they retained more like Philadelphia and Nashville did with their contracts.

While the 2nd trade’s return was disappointing, Hughes was very opportunistic in the 1st trade to get a 2nd round pick and get rid of Hoffman’s contract.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Not if you give assets away for nothing.

more caps and more useless banter please. I haven’t had enough.

No, of course not. Cammalerri was traded mid game over a decade ago by a completely different management group, so it must be true!!
And you've literally made no counter point that actually makes sense.

You're acting as if the two trades aren't related, which is the same as saying you working to get money, which has nothing to do with you buying food, paying bills, etc.

My point/ others is

Players equal to, or better than Petry had been dealt for less and/or more retained.

- well they're cap dumps.

SO WAS PETRY. Pens wanted to get rid of him because he's not as good as his contract and they wanted a dman who can provide 80 points from the backend while being pretty terrible defensively.

- Well, we could have used him !

To do what ? Still suck ? See him potentially suckz or be uninspired because he actually doesn't want to be here ? End up having retention into next season whether the trade is done now, or at the deadline ? You can't retain on a player for 1 season, unless said player's contract only has 1 season left.

- Well, he could have helped the youngsters!

How ? By taking time away from them ? Guy doesn't want to me here and his reasoning is fair as his family has moved back to the stares.

- Well, he could be a mentor !

That's what Savard, Matheson, Monahan and St. Louis can do.

- Well, they could have just bought out Hoffman !

Could have, but that's 2 years at around 800k less cap hit in dead space than what they have now, except they wouldn't have a 2025 2nd, 4th (forget which year), Legare (OK prospect, some potential maybe), Lindstrom( does anyone really care what he does ) and DeSmith, which could be another pick in return, or the Habs might be stuck with him.

Every point you and others with your view point have brought up is easily destroyed, so they resort to " There's no correlation" when that shit couldn't be more obvious.

Let's look at it like this.

Habs give 2.4 mill in dead cap space.

Habs get
2nd
4th
Legare
DeSmith
Lindstrom.

Now, tell me who would you rather have.

Ryan Johansen at 4 mill for 2 seasons you pay pretty much nothing.

Kevin Hayes at 3.6( just rounded up) for a 5th.

Even though the Habs are filled with mediocrity at both forward and d, I'm taking both forwards. I didn't include Burns because that's such a super easy choice to take him.

- I don't know why you bring them up, those are different trades!

Well, duh, but they're comparisons. Players in the last year with more than 1 year remaining on their contract that had significant amount of retention that I can remember.

Absolute best case scenario Petry has like 45 points by the deadline, but the Habs still lost a lot of their games, so they're bottom 3 and Petry gets more, which is definitely possible, but you're still retaining 50% for next year and as possible as it is, it's not very likely.

Jul 6, 2016
Hughes could had go a bit more for Petry. A 3rd round pick instead of a 4th would had been better. Maybe Lindstrom will surprise us positively ???? Not keeping as much cap on Petry's contract would had sweaten the pot too.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
There were two possibilities of getting something from the 2nd part of the Petry trade. The first was he would prefer a western US team over MTL. In theory if that was the case then he would have listed us in his NTC but perhaps it never crossed his mind. The second possibility would be to keep him until TDL which brings a lot of risk, and we as fans can't really judge this well because it all depends on Petry's mindset which we can only get my talking to him.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Hughes could had go a bit more for Petry. A 3rd round pick instead of a 4th would had been better. Maybe Lindstrom will surprise us positively ???? Not keeping as much cap on Petry's contract would had sweaten the pot too.
Yzerman's stingy. He sets a price he's willing to pay and doesn't go beyond.

My guess (and it is a guess) is that there's probably a condition that they can't deal Petry until next year's deadline. Hughes knew that Petry's value was greater than what he got so I have to think when he made the trade he spoke to Yzerman about this. Imagine if Yzerman turned around and flipped Petry for a 2nd right away... :laugh:

Anyways, it kinda sucks because I was looking forward to Hughes getting another 2nd or low first for Petry and having even more to acquire talent with. The return was disappointing even if it was for a noble cause.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The Hoffman trade and the Petry trade are separate transactions. Seems lost on many, including you.
While yes, the Hoffman and Petry trades are "officially" considered separate trades, from a practical standpoint they are really just a 2nd phase of one trade. The Habs intended to flip Petry as quickly as possible -- Hughes admitted this when he apologized to Petry for taking so long to find him a new team. They never intended to keep Petry. So the two trades need to be evaluated as a group.

This is pretty much the same situation as the Romanov / Dach deals last year. "Officially" they were two separate trades, but in reality they are evaluated as a single move, as the Habs never intended to keep the 1st round draft pick they received for Romanov. It was just part one of a two part deal.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
There were two possibilities of getting something from the 2nd part of the Petry trade. The first was he would prefer a western US team over MTL. In theory if that was the case then he would have listed us in his NTC but perhaps it never crossed his mind. The second possibility would be to keep him until TDL which brings a lot of risk, and we as fans can't really judge this well because it all depends on Petry's mindset which we can only get my talking to him.
Keeping Petry would've made us a much better team this year. Giving him to Detroit makes them better in the short run. I'm sure that factored into Hughes' thoughts as well.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Keeping Petry would've made us a much better team this year. Giving him to Detroit makes them better in the short run. I'm sure that factored into Hughes' thoughts as well.
That would depends on whether he was engaged mentally or not while playing for us. If his mind is elsewhere because he's just waiting to be traded then he wouldn't actually help us as an unfocused Petry is a disaster defensively. But if he saw it as a chance to give a good final impression to the fans/city that he did love at one time then yes he could've helped us.

So like I said it all depends on stuff we as fans have no idea about because it's all about talking to him and figuring out his mindset.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That would depends on whether he was engaged mentally or not while playing for us. If his mind is elsewhere because he's just waiting to be traded then he wouldn't actually help us as an unfocused Petry is a disaster defensively. But if he saw it as a chance to give a good final impression to the fans/city that he did love at one time then yes he could've helped us.

So like I said it all depends on stuff we as fans have no idea about because it's all about talking to him and figuring out his mindset.
Petry did extremely well under MSL. I don't think that would be a problem. However given the way he left, he might not have wanted to return here at all.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Petry did extremely well under MSL. I don't think that would be a problem. However given the way he left, he might not have wanted to return here at all.
If he didn't want to return here at all then chances are you wouldn't get the Petry under MSL or the Petry in Pittsburgh you'd get the bad version of Petry whose already checked out mentally.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Yzerman's stingy. He sets a price he's willing to pay and doesn't go beyond.

My guess (and it is a guess) is that there's probably a condition that they can't deal Petry until next year's deadline. Hughes knew that Petry's value was greater than what he got so I have to think when he made the trade he spoke to Yzerman about this. Imagine if Yzerman turned around and flipped Petry for a 2nd right away... :laugh:

Anyways, it kinda sucks because I was looking forward to Hughes getting another 2nd or low first for Petry and having even more to acquire talent with. The return was disappointing even if it was for a noble cause.

Well theoretically, the teams interested in petry as we get closer to the post season would have been contenders, so I was kind of projecting a low end 2nd pick.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
So if Detroit is out of playoff contention at the deadline do they trade Petry? And do they care what he wants?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Do you have any proof that MTL is viewed as this no-sign place because it's toxic?

Well, there are inherent barriers to this market that can be toxic which we all know about, mainly the media intensity, and the lack of privacy. There's not much HuGo can do about that.

However, Hugo's mentality might be to go the extra mile on the elements they can control, and one of those elements is how they treat players.

So asking the question if montreal was non-toxic under previous regimes is irrelevant, because that's merely going by the existing standard at best , whereas HuGo may rather want to be standard setters to counteract the inherent issues.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I don't understand why fans are still speculating about how HuGo may want to position themselves (and Montreal) with players across the league. All this was covered as nauseam when Hughes was hired.

It's exactly what they said -- HuGo want to make Montreal attractive to players and their families, whether it is the community experience for the wives and their kids, the coaching philosophy, the skills coaches, the desire to win, the psortspsychologists at the disposal the players, the training staff, the training facilities, etc.,etc., etc.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Yep, at least he explained his thought process and I can respect that. I don’t think the goodwill he showed the Petry’s will lead to others wanting to sign here. I think that is naive.
I feel like it was a lot of little things.

I don’t think this one move is going to be a shining banner for all future UFAs to see but it doesn’t hurt.

I think they really do see something in Lindstrom. And even if it its not there he’s a guy who can be a good stop gap guy who can give our Barrons and Maillouxs have more time/less pressure to develop.

And like others say, if it makes Detroit better and helps us get a better pick too.

All these things make the trade…fine. A lot depends on how Lindstrom is.

I don’t know. Trade wise Hughes deserves the benefit of the doubt thus far imo. Matheson, Dach, Monahan and Hoffman are damn good trades. Barron we’ll wait and see but so far so good. Newhook same but there’s real upside there.

This is the worst one yet and the only one I could say is bad initially. Can still be better

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I feel like it was a lot of little things.

I don’t think this one move is going to be a shining banner for all future UFAs to see but it doesn’t hurt.

I think they really do see something in Lindstrom. And even if it its not there he’s a guy who can be a good stop gap guy who can give our Barrons and Maillouxs have more time/less pressure to develop.

And like others say, if it makes Detroit better and helps us get a better pick too.

All these things make the trade…fine. A lot depends on how Lindstrom is.

I don’t know. Trade wise Hughes deserves the benefit of the doubt thus far imo. Matheson, Dach, Monahan and Hoffman are damn good trades. Barron we’ll wait and see but so far so good. Newhook same but there’s real upside there.

This is the worst one yet and the only one I could say is bad initially. Can still be better
Imo the trade was a stinker, but in the grand scheme of things it’s not that big of a deal. I just think we could have done better with half a minute of patience. Anyways, this move isn’t going to make us or break us.

I think it was a stupid move, but whatever. Our GM feels there are times when trying to maximize value is not necessary and I disagree, that should be the goal of every trade. Not making some guy who will never play here again happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad