Confirmed with Link: Jeff Petry (50% retained) traded to DET for Gustav Lindström and conditional 4th-round pick in 2025 (later of Detroit or Boston's pick)

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Then don’t keep him, why are we helping Petry and Detroit? They get the best player for a 2.4m caphit and we get nothing for the 2.4m caphit for 2 years. Some can’t seem to separate the Hoffman trade from the Petry trade. Petry was ours, there was no need to give him away and retain space. It was a bad deal, Hughes was being a nice guy and nice guys finish last.

Ppl thinking because he was nice to Petry that it’s going to attract other UFA’s, yeah ok. Naive bunch.
Again, I guess pointing out something that should be obvious needs to be done.

Kevin Hayes, big, but soft dman who put up over 50 points went for less than what Petry did, despite having an extra year.

Ryan Johansen, who's comparable to Petry was retained at 50% and basically went for nothing.

Brent Burns, who's waaaaaaay better than Petry barely went for more than Petrt despite being better, having more term and have more money retained.

Filip Zadina was bought out because no one wanted him on his contract for free.

It's the way the NHL is and the fact that people don't see this is kind of sad.

Well, we could have kept Petry

Why ? Potentially have him play worse and be even worth less ? Have him take away ice time from Harris, Guhle, or Xhekaj ? Is this time going to be competing next season ? Nah, they still feel the team is going to miss the playoffs and keeping Petry, who wanted to be in the states and only reason he didnt have the Habs on his No Trade list was because he didn't think the Habs would acquire him.

Let's not forget that the Habs got a 2nd for the extra year on Petry compared to Hoffman and the 700ishk difference between DeSmith and Pitlick.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

Kevin Hayes, big, but soft dman who put up over 50 points went for less than what Petry did, despite having an extra year.

Ryan Johansen, who's comparable to Petry was retained at 50% and basically went for nothing.

Brent Burns, who's waaaaaaay better than Petry barely went for more than Petrt despite being better, having more term and have more money retained.

Why ? Potentially have him play worse and be even worth less ? Have him take away ice time from Harris, Guhle, or Xhekaj ? Is this time going to be competing next season ? Nah, they still feel the team is going to miss the playoffs and keeping Petry, who wanted to be in the states and only reason he didnt have the Habs on his No Trade list was because he didn't think the Habs would acquire him.

Let's not forget that the Habs got a 2nd for the extra year on Petry compared to Hoffman and the 700ishk difference between DeSmith and Pitlick.
You can't just lump all the transactions happening around the league together and evaluate players trade value based on that.

Most of the guys you mentioned were viewed as cap dumps.

The teams trading them were happy to just get rid of those contracts.

Hayes is a center and not a D btw.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
You can't just lump all the transactions happening around the league together and evaluate players trade value based on that.

Most of the guys you mentioned were viewed as cap dumps.

The teams trading them were happy to just get rid of those contracts.

Hayes is a center and not a D btw.
Didn't mean to call him a dman, but Petry is a cap dump, so the rest of your point is gone.

The Habs would only be happy to move him later on, as they weren't waiting to do it for a 7th, or another player with a caphit that can't be buried.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Didn't mean to call him a dman, but Petry is a cap dump, so the rest of your point is gone.

The Habs would only be happy to move him later on, as they weren't waiting to do it for a 7th, or another player with a caphit that can't be buried.
Agree to disagree, Petry is still a solid top4 D IMO.

And with the salary retention we barely dumped any cap...

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

You don’t know what you’re talking about. You made that perfectly clear in your 2nd paragraph.

The Hoffman trade and the Petry trade are separate transactions. Seems lost on many, including you.

Ryan Johansen and Filip Zadina and that dman Kevin Hayes, wow, what is your argument here and how does it relate to Petry and his 2.4m csphit we absorbed for 2 years ?

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

And Johanson, Burns and Hayes are solid players who returned nothing. And Johanson and Burns should be worth more than Petry.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
And Johanson, Burns and Hayes are solid players who returned nothing. And Johanson and Burns should be worth more than Petry.
Johansen had a really bad year and Nashville clearly just wanted to get rid of him...Colorado took a chance on him being able to rebound.

Burns was already 37 years old and had 3 more years on his deal, same story, Sharks just wanted to get out of that contract.

Hayes is the same story... He was signed till 25/26.

Petry at 4.5M$ for 2 seasons is nowhere close to those contracts.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

And with the salary retention we barely dumped any
Lol wtf are you talking about.
I said Petry is washed and had no value, and that makes me a management
Why is Petry washed? He was good in Pittsburgh.
Because we traded him, so he must be washed!! It’s the same usual player bashing from Habs fans you can expect after we trade players. It’s the Habs management’s extended PR department. Same story, different player.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Would be funny if -- owing both to Jeff Petry's advanced age and the Detroit Red Wings' glut of NHL-veteran defensemen -- Yzerman decides to buyout the contract of Jeff Petry next summer and leave the Habs and Pens down one retention spot for an extra year.
It depends how he performs. Some people look at age and say he's washed up and yet nothing in his stats indicates that at all unless you consider his games played average as indicative. Just like when we got Corey Perry the initial reaction was oh he's washed up and yet despite his lack of footspeed his savvy and experience paid huge dividends for us. Petry is seasoned and obviously inexpensive. If he continues at the .5 PPG average he had last year or even falls a bit to .4 PPG this season. Yzerman would never buy him out. He'd have to fall a long way before Yzerman would buy him out.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I guess I'm in the minority, because I quite like this trade. I like the idea of adding a young RHD, and getting a 4th, which is a pretty good mid-round pick. I had pretty much no desire to keep Petry, so no problem sending him to Detroit.

The only negative is the retention next year. But Hughes said he didn't see an issue because he likely wouldn't be able to use all the cap next year with the contracts he wants to sign (which I'm assuming means younger players to longer-term deals, such as Dach and Newhook).

Lindstrom and a 4th for 2.34 million next year seems like a decent deal to me. Add in the addition by subtraction of shipping Petry out, and I really like this deal.

Hopefully Hughes can ship out a few more veterans sometime soon..

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Well it would be a process of building that goodwill. One transaction isn't likely to move the needle, but players talk to each other around the league to gather their insights, and the bigger web of goodwill that you can weave, the better chance it has to have some effect on the prospective players.

It can't hurt at the very least.
Is there a player in the league who doesn't know someone who knows someone. I think we discussed how important work environment is in any job. It's hard to refute the logic that showing respect for all your players involved in rumors and or transactions can only be beneficial in the long run.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Is there a player in the league who doesn't know someone who knows someone. I think we discussed how important work environment is in any job. It's hard to refute the logic that showing respect for all your players involved in rumors and or transactions can only be beneficial in the long run.
Et tu Brute?

All this goodwill spin is complete bullshit!

Come on now...

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
There are lots of reasons not to come to Montreal. Being a poorly run organization is definitely one of them. Treating players like crap is another. Those are two easily fixable issues. Does it fix everything and magically make us a prime place that attracts UFAs? Of course not. But it's one less problem that we'll hopefully have to deal with.
We've had three strikes against us for a very long time. Poorly run, throwing players under the bus, and a stagnant brand of hockey. Add the other known issues like working and living in a fishbowl, perceived language issues, higher taxes, and it gets very challenging to find a good fit. Not only attracting players but keeping players here without paying a heavy premium.
Et tu Brute?

Come on now...
:thumbd: Basic respect has absolutely nothing to do with goodwill. Hughes didn't trade Petry because of goodwill there were obviously more issues behing it than that otherwise we would have played him and made out like bandits at TDL. Every Player that has been rumored to be traded or likely to be traded has had contact with management beforehand to discuss the possibilities. If you don't think that plays a part in the grand scheme of things I don't know what to say. Moving across town is stressful enough imagine what having to uproot the entire family and finding a new home new schooling etc. is like.

Solid Basic Respect.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
We've had three strikes against us for a very long time. Poorly run, throwing players under the bus, and a stagnant brand of hockey. Add the other known issues like working and living in a fishbowl, perceived language issues, higher taxes, and it gets very challenging to find a good fit. Not only attracting players but keeping players here without paying a heavy premium.

:thumbd: Basic respect has absolutely nothing to do with goodwill. Hughes didn't trade Petry because of goodwill there were obviously more issues behing it than that otherwise we would have played him and made out like bandits at TDL. Every Player that has been rumored to be traded or likely to be traded has had contact with management beforehand to discuss the possibilities. If you don't think that plays a part in the grand scheme of things I don't know what to say. Moving across town is stressful enough imagine what having to uproot the entire family and finding a new home new schooling etc. is like.

Solid Basic Respect.
Yeah, he did Petry a solid, no one denies that! He gave him away basically lmao.

Do you really think that this mega humanitarian move will ever have any repercussions going forward?

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I'd say this is the beginning of the end for Hughes, if I didn't think that being hired was really the beginning of the end for Hughes. ;)

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Et tu Brute?

Come on now...
Don't be ridiculous. Of course it isn't. Hughes is probably treating players well because that is the way he operates but it will generate good will. Now that won't affected what cockroaches like Tkachuk, Gaudreau and Dubois do. But it should mean something to players with character who are the ones Habs will be interested in.

Reactions: Rapala

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Don't be ridiculous. Of course it isn't. Hughes is probably treating players well because that is the way he operates but it will generate good will. Now that won't affected what cockroaches like Tkachuk, Gaudreau and Dubois do. But it should mean something to players with character who are the ones Habs will be interested in.
guys like Alzner with good family values eh? :laugh:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
You don’t know what you’re talking about. You made that perfectly clear in your 2nd paragraph.

The Hoffman trade and the Petry trade are separate transactions. Seems lost on many, including you.

Ryan Johansen and Filip Zadina and that dman Kevin Hayes, wow, what is your argument here and how does it relate to Petry and his 2.4m csphit we absorbed for 2 years ?
The Petry trade and the Hoffman trade were ONE TRADE. It would have been done on the same day but apparently there were time constraints. Habs were a way station for Petry. There was NEVER ant intention of keeping him. There is NO ROOM for him on this seasons defense.

Is this a joke? 90% of this team is still Bregevins doing !
We were talking about goodwill and attracting players. That has nothing to do with MB or any players from his term. And if you are talking about demoting him to the AHL that should not affect good will. Players won't expect to be kept in the NHL if they are no longer able to play.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Great rebuttal.

I clearly explained how, but it's too complicated for you.

Here, let me help you since you're so slow.

OTTTHHHHEEERRRR TEEEAAAAMMMMSSS TTTTRRRRAAAAADDDDEEEDDDD BBBEEETTTTTEEEERRR PPPLLLAAAAYYYEEERRRSSS FFFOOORRR LLLEEESSSS WWWHHHIIILLLLEEE RRRREEEETTTAAAIIINNNIIIINNNGGG MMMOOORRREEEE.

I didn't think someone would pass baseball coach for the lowest comprehension, but my God you've passed.

And got a 2nd, a 4th, Legare and Lindstrom.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Not if you give assets away for nothing.
Great rebuttal.

I clearly explained how, but it's too complicated for you.

Here, let me help you since you're so slow.

OTTTHHHHEEERRRR TEEEAAAAMMMMSSS TTTTRRRRAAAAADDDDEEEDDDD BBBEEETTTTTEEEERRR PPPLLLAAAAYYYEEERRRSSS FFFOOORRR LLLEEESSSS WWWHHHIIILLLLEEE RRRREEEETTTAAAIIINNNIIIINNNGGG MMMOOORRREEEE.

I didn't think someone would pass baseball coach for the lowest comprehension, but my God you've passed.

And got a 2nd, a 4th, Legare and Lindstrom.

more caps and more useless banter please. I haven’t had enough.

Do you have any proof that MTL is viewed as this no-sign place because it's toxic?
No, of course not. Cammalerri was traded mid game over a decade ago by a completely different management group, so it must be true!!

Reactions: Belial

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad