Who’s the better GM?

• Jeff Gorton

• Chris Drury

Results are only viewable after voting.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The $8 million/yr deal was bad the moment it was signed.
Trouba is not good at any one thing besides open ice hits. He's not a good overall defender. He's one of the leagues worst skaters. He's normally average offensively but he was really bad this season.

We've come to terms he will never be worth $8M but we need the last couple seasons Trouba over this one.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Not to be that guy but people act like every team in the league doesn’t trade for Trouba when Gorton did and gives him the exact same deal

The Rangers RD at that point was DeAngelo, Pionk who stunk and the soon to be bought out Shattenkirk.

Trouba has declined, idk if that’s a natural decline or the inevitable stink that comes with playing for this franchise where seemingly everyone gets worse when they come here

But alottttt revisionist history on that move

Anyone that was paying attention would have known Trouba had a lot of his flaws masked by playing in one of the most structured systems in all of hockey under Maurice. On a big strong physical team in a division that plays big physical strong hockey.

Of course Hughes, Barzal, Aho are going to skate circles around him.

and just so I don't get accused of "revisionist history" I was saying the same thing back in November 2020. Was just a bit off about the "adjustment" part.
Screenshot_20230516-192546_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
I personally liked the direction the Rangers were going in with Gorton more than with Drury.

With Gorton, they were still at least at first glance in rebuild mode. Then Drury stepped in and started shipping out young guys (Buch) and draft picks for deadline rentals, shipping out former 1st round pick players for a bag of pucks only to find out the bag of pucks has no pucks but is instead filled with poop stained jockeys tighty whities.

Drury has done nothing good for the future of this franchise. All he's done is abandon the rebuild way too early, and throw whatever eggs he had into the Trouba basket last deadline and then in the Panarin basket this deadline. After signing Trocheck for 7 years to also placate Panarin and it didn't work.

Can we get an official count of how many 1st and 2nd round picks and former first round picks Drury shipped out in the span of two seasons?

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I personally liked the direction the Rangers were going in with Gorton more than with Drury.

This is my take.

Though granted we can look back at many things Gorton did wrong, at this juncture.

With Gorton, they were still at least at first glance in rebuild mode. Then Drury stepped in and started shipping out young guys (Buch) and draft picks for deadline rentals, shipping out former 1st round pick players for a bag of pucks only to find out the bag of pucks has no pucks but is instead filled with poop stained jockeys tighty whities.

Yep, Drury has been the wrong approach since the beginning.

Drury has done nothing good for the future of this franchise. All he's done is abandon the rebuild way too early, and throw whatever eggs he had into the Trouba basket last deadline and then in the Panarin basket this deadline. After signing Trocheck for 7 years to also placate Panarin and it didn't work.

Can we get an official count of how many 1st and 2nd round picks and former first round picks Drury shipped out in the span of two seasons?
Preach.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

Former 1st round picks that were all busts under Gorton's terrible drafting and the basket that you are referring to, Drury inherited from Gorton.

Also that rebuild you claim Drury abandoned-- was done and done the second Panarin was signed. Weird ass post. Don't forget how the Rangers were playing right before COVID shut everything down. We'd easily have made the playoffs-- and probably done some serious damage.

Trocheck is also one of the only Rangers forwards this season that exceeded expectations.

Speaking of "placating" Panarin, who is the GM again that nickled and dimed the only winger that had any semblance of success alongside Panarin and ended up losing in free agency to a division rival thats about to host Game 1 of the ECF?

Of course you liked the direction the Rangers were headed in under Gorton. That phase that Gorton oversaw in 2018-2020 was the easy part. Tearing down a playoff caliber roster for futures. Any GM would look good in that situation. And yet, here we are with not much to show for any of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: PalmCoastRanger

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Former 1st round picks that were all busts under Gorton's terrible drafting and the basket that you are referring to, Drury inherited from Gorton.

Also that rebuild you claim Drury abandoned-- was done and done the second Panarin was signed. Weird ass post. Don't forget how the Rangers were playing right before COVID shut everything down. We'd easily have made the playoffs-- and probably done some serious damage.

Trocheck is also one of the only Rangers forwards this season that exceeded expectations.

Speaking of "placating" Panarin, who is the GM again that nickled and dimed the only winger that had any semblance of success alongside Panarin and ended up losing in free agency to a division rival thats about to host Game 1 of the ECF?

Of course you liked the direction the Rangers were headed in under Gorton. That phase that Gorton oversaw in 2018-2020 was the easy part. Tearing down a playoff caliber roster for futures. Any GM would look good in that situation. And yet, here we are with not much to show for any of it.
Rangers were still waiting on the draft picks to arrive and develop. It's not instantaneous. Rebuilds take years. Not like 1 and a half years. 5+ years. Rebuild. It's a rebuild of the entire system and you need to wait for those seeds in the system to grow and make impacts at the NHL level. Panarin was brought in to put butts in the seats in the meantime. Not to abandon the rebuild.

That said, the team you mentioned before Covid was relatively young and those young guys were playing hard and having fun. Then everyone or maybe two people (Dolan and Sather) overreacted to Wilson and they blew the entire thing up.

However, the chance to correct that course is right in their face. They still have a core of young players they can choose to build around. And a chance to cash-in in the form of futures, for some veterans if they play it right.

Reactions: mas0764

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I liked Gorton though he had a few (big?) missteps. It’s just really tough to say who takes the blame for what moves and what specific direction is being given by ownership which dictates said moves. Gorton inherited a pretty rough situation in 2015 after Slats cleared the cupboard trying to get a Cup. That being said, Gorton did negotiate the Staal and Girardi contracts but was he told by Slats to get it done at whatever the best price was he could? He was given a roster that was aging with no flexibility and a terrible prospect cupboard. I admired him recognizing the need to tear it down and replenishing things even if they didn’t pan out.

Drury was elevated with a clear win now command. Doesn’t excuse piss poor trades like the Buch one as well as the Kane trade (I don’t really want to hear about how little they gave up because throwing away the 9th overall pick they wouldn’t give a long run of ice time while also trading a 2nd and 4th when they’re already running low on picks for a guy with a busted hip is bad) but how much of this is dictated by ownerships desire to win and to win right this second?

I’ll go with Gorton personally but I think it’s just very tough to say without knowing the influence Sather and Dolan may have on day to day activity as well as the different objectives being set forth for each at the given times in their roles.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I would rather Gorton than Drury. I still am not sure what Drury’s plan or vision is , but he has been fleeced in a couple trades so far and even his FA signings havent been great. He grades draft picks too easily and seems to always pay the premium.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Sorry, don't have a specific favorite. Thought Gorton (and Davidson) did great, but look what that got them. Drury did what he could, (for PAPER hockey's sake) but seemed to have disrupted what they HAD. Ultimately it's on the players that screwed up.
My thoughts on breakup day videos.

Trochek......Learning experience? Really? What in the hell could they "learn" that they didn't know already?

Lindy......disappointed in game 7 shutout? Isn't that better than losing 3-2 in O.T.? Losing 5-0 proves they shit the bed. O.T. loss could be blamed for a "bad bounce". LOSING is the only thing that mattered here, IMO.

Foxy......"They" saw our best? Really? Came out short? NO, that would be really short. He also mentioned Game#3, where we might have taken our foot off the gas. Ya' think?

Zbad.......
looked super bummed and probably more disappointed in his and his teams play. The word "learn from it" was spoken again......makes me sick to my stomach.
That is similar to "wait till next year". Uggh.

Kane........My thought. Seemed he used past tense a bit. Words like "was" and "they'll", seemed to have been said with his "wondering" if he will be asked to be back next year.
He's NEVER been a free agent. We may be fooling ourselves into thinking he will take a discount to stay here, BUT if Buffalo offers a shit load of salary and willing to do the LTIR think, you don't think he'll accept the Sabres offer? Buffalo is up and coming and could really use Kane's leadership come stretch run and possibly PO's. They NEED that, we don't necessarily NEED him nearly as much.

Overall......many here are so funny. It's so easy to JUDGE "after the fact" a GM's job. (and during).
GM's have to look into the future, while we are looking at the past.
Not a GM out there that doesn't make a pathetic McDonough move. Theey all do. Hell he robbed Zbad from Ottawa's GM and that Nash trade was pretty fruitful.

Oh and WHY we lost imho.........because we didn't instill any FEAR into them. We didn't teach them what the PO's were all about (or, supposed to be about). Seemed we "feared" their speed and skill, gave them too much respect they didn't deserve.
The Canes did to them what we should have done. Just pepper their goalie, all night and all day. f*** respecting them. oh wait, it's too late now.

Last edited:
Reactions: gabevh3

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Drury’s body of work so far is good. He inherited the Buch situation and had no leverage. Slight overpay for Copp, but no-one’s complaining with where it got us last season. Great work on the Tank and Mikkola trade.

To me, the black mark is the Kane trade. And he actually managed the trade itself well in terms of the cost. But really just shouldn’t have done it at all - it messed up the chemistry.
the trade didn't work but he would have been skewered even harder if we didn't make the trade and wound up in the same position we are in.

He essentially had no choice since the price was so low.

I have a hard time blaming him for that one

even with that caveat i do agree that the Kane trade was a net negative for us.

Reactions: LannyMcdonald

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
The overall body of work: Drury.

I would say Gorton, but for the pure fact that he handed Panarin $12M, even if it was heavily influenced by JD and Dolan, he loses to Drury.

The Panarin contract, with the high salary and AAV, handicapped the Rangers severly, and still does. The next 3 years will be extremely long and repepetive in terms of making playoffs and losing in 1st&2nd rounds to Carolina/NJ when Panarin doesn't produce, unless the next coach has a crystal ball on how to light a fire under that fraud's arse.

I think when Patrick Kane made it clear he wanted to come to NY, if you had've placed any other of the 31 GM's and told them it was for a conditional 2nd, they would also do what Drury did.

Drury isn't by any means a win, he overpaid on Goodrow, traded Buch for nothing, and gave Reavo a premature extension. I would say each of his two deadlines were successes, as Kane and Tarasenko were far from at fault for the loss, which fell on the shoulders of the core of Zibanejad, Trrocheck and Panarin.

Gorton (pre-JD) > Drury. BUT, you can't just compartmentalize GM's tenures like that, so, Drury > Gorton

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
Sorry, don't have a specific favorite. Thought Gorton (and Davidson) did great, but look what that got them. Drury did what he could, (for PAPER hockey's sake) but seemed to have disrupted what they HAD. Ultimately it's on the players that screwed up.
My thoughts on breakup day videos.

Trochek......Learning experience? Really? What in the hell could they "learn" that they didn't know already?

Lindy......disappointed in game 7 shutout? Isn't that better than losing 3-2 in O.T.? Losing 5-0 proves they shit the bed. O.T. loss could be blamed for a "bad bounce". LOSING is the only thing that mattered here, IMO.

Foxy......"They" saw our best? Really? Came out short? NO, that would be really short. He also mentioned Game#3, where we might have taken our foot off the gas. Ya' think?

Zbad.......
looked super bummed and probably more disappointed in his and his teams play. The word "learn from it" was spoken again......makes me sick to my stomach.
That is similar to "wait till next year". Uggh.

Kane........My thought. Seemed he used past tense a bit. Words like "was" and "they'll", seemed to have been said with his "wondering" if he will be asked to be back next year.
He's NEVER been a free agent. We may be fooling ourselves into thinking he will take a discount to stay here, BUT if Buffalo offers a shit load of salary and willing to do the LTIR think, you don't think he'll accept the Sabres offer? Buffalo is up and coming and could really use Kane's leadership come stretch run and possibly PO's. They NEED that, we don't necessarily NEED him nearly as much.

Overall......many here are so funny. It's so easy to JUDGE "after the fact" a GM's job. (and during).
GM's have to look into the future, while we are looking at the past.
Not a GM out there that doesn't make a pathetic McDonough move. Theey all do. Hell he robbed Zbad from Ottawa's GM and that Nash trade was pretty fruitful.

Oh and WHY we lost imho.........because we didn't instill any FEAR into them. We didn't teach them what the PO's were all about (or, supposed to be about). Seemed we "feared" their speed and skill, gave them too much respect they didn't deserve.
The Canes did to them what we should have done. Just pepper their goalie, all night and all day. f*** respecting them. oh wait, it's too late now.
That's why i didn't want to face Devils or Isles. Nyr show them more respect than they show most teams. I didn't even think it would go to 7 games Because of that.

Reactions: Larrybiv

effen

Feb 3, 2018
That's why i didn't want to face Devils or Isles. Nyr show them more respect than they show most teams. I didn't even think it would go to 7 games Because of that.
The Rangers have acted like Barzal has a forcefield around him and gently orbited him instead of just skating at him in a straight line for years.

Same story with Hughes. Idiotic.

Hilariously, when Panarin is having great games it's because other teams are doing the same thing to him..might make a less cowardly team think. Hockeys different here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad