Confirmed with Link: Jeff Carter signs two-year extension with Penguins

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Vets are great, but I do not get why we seemingly insist on letting every vet play at least 15 more games than they should?
I'm more frustrated with them thinking every vet is Matt Cullen, a bloke that had a lot left in the tank vs the ones we've gotten since.

Can't play Carter 17+ a night on average then expect him to have any fuel left for the playoffs.

In Boyle's case the minutes weren't the issue it was the games. He went from a year off with a small tournament and no ahl contract to stay in shape to playing 66 games.

Bottom 6 depth in the Ahl we have in spades. The fact they felt they didn't want to use it is frustrating.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'm not even sure if Carter can play 7 good minutes/game, never mind 17.

I can understand giving him a one year deal, maybe. But 2 years? What was the risk? This guy said he would just retire rather than leave LA if traded, but then made an exception for Pittsburgh. So did they really think he was going to go to the open market and move again to another city? And also be offered 2 x > $3M by another team?

It's baffling. I felt at the time that it only made sense if Carter was so beloved by the other guys in the room that it would make it easier to re-sign Malking/Letang/Rust. Now it seems like this Carter contract is going to cost us one of those guys or Rakell. :mad:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
No, he didn't. He never said he'd retire if traded.

He did either threaten or hint at it in the few years prior to him being traded to us, 100%.

Either way, my point still stands — were we really that scared that another team would give him a 2 year deal worth > 3.5M or something that we had to lock him up early WITH a full no move clause? F**king ridiculous.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
He did either threaten or hint at it in the few years prior to him being traded to us, 100%.
From what I can see, this was entirely media speculation.

Either way, my point still stands — were we really that scared that another team would give him a 2 year deal worth > 3.5M or something that we had to lock him up early WITH a full no move clause? F**king ridiculous.
Possibly. If you want to say we locked him up early and shouldn't have, fine. I don't know that he'd have balked if we'd offered this deal or a similar one this offseason.
But would someone else have offered more if he'd gone into free agency? Yes. That championship pedigree plus him being 'Big Jeff Carter' goes a long way.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

I think in Hextall's mind, it was 3 things:
1) He and Carter are personally friends
2) An alternative to Malkin should we separate
3) Spiking the football on his successful acquisition and decision to protect at the ED (which admittedly I was 100% for)

Maybe I've just been in dysfunctional organizations too long and that is why I'm a little conspiratorial about this stuff. But time and again I see people doubling down rather than say "I might be wrong...let's give it some more time and find out."

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
3) Spiking the football on his successful acquisition and decision to protect at the ED (which admittedly I was 100% for)

Maybe I've just been in dysfunctional organizations too long and that is why I'm a little conspiratorial about this stuff. But time and again I see people doubling down rather than say "I might be wrong...let's give it some more time and find out."

Sure, those are all rationale thoughts, but it was still stupid lol.

A one year deal, sure, no problem. I could understand that even at that high salary with a NMC. But 2 years? F**k that -- particularly because we were already right up against the cap and knew we would be in a flat-cap environment for the next 2 seasons.

And I'm not just saying it now because of how he's performed, but there's ample precedent to go year-by-year with these guys and even when Carter was great at the time he signed the contract, he was still not nearly as valuable as Rust, Malkin, Letang or the other guys on the UFA market who may have been available.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Sure, those are all rationale thoughts, but it was still stupid lol.

A one year deal, sure, no problem. I could understand that even at that high salary with a NMC. But 2 years? F**k that -- particularly because we were already right up against the cap and knew we would be in a flat-cap environment for the next 2 seasons.

And I'm not just saying it now because of how he's performed, but there's ample precedent to go year-by-year with these guys and even when Carter was great at the time he signed the contract, he was still not nearly as valuable as Rust, Malkin, Letang or the other guys on the UFA market who may have been available.

You're just mad cuz he's DOC-blocking.

(and you're right)

• Love
Reactions: jmelm

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
From what I can see, this was entirely media speculation.

Possibly. If you want to say we locked him up early and shouldn't have, fine. I don't know that he'd have balked if we'd offered this deal or a similar one this offseason.
But would someone else have offered more if he'd gone into free agency? Yes. That championship pedigree plus him being 'Big Jeff Carter' goes a long way.

If Jeff Carter was offered a contract after the way he performed over the entirety of the season and thus far into the playoffs, it would be a 1 year deal closer to $2-2.5 million. He's overpaid by 1 year and by about 750K--1M. I think that's an absolutely fair and objective asssessment.

And from Carter's POV, and relative to a guy like fellow draftee Corey Perry, that is substantial value for him.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's almost like they should have waited until the end of the year to assess an old, limited player with multiple alternatives already in-system or something.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

I think you pretty much nailed it. I also wouldn't be surprised if Hextall loses his job and this is one of the big reasons why.

Edit.... Reason #1 is a fireable offense on it's own.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I think you pretty much nailed it. I also wouldn't be surprised if Hextall loses his job and this is one of the big reasons why.

Edit.... Reason #1 is a fireable offense on it's own.

I don't think this is a fireable offense or even like a top 3. It's for sure in the "L" column for Hextall though.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
If the Pens have any hope of recovering anything serviceable out of Carter over the next 2 seasons, they should force him to spend his offseason this year in St. Augustine FL....

I here it worked for a Spaniard named Ponce a while back

med2659

Dec 20, 2007
At times he does, but it's the lack of effort/desperation and creativity that concerns me more than anything else.
absolutely...his skating to me seem fine but my god if u watch him closely i swear, he loses the majority of his puck battles which really hurts in the playoffs...for a guy of his size and experience he should be much better at that and at times he looks confused for no reason and the puck just glides passed him and he either misses it or doesn't notice it

Reactions: jmelm

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
absolutely...his skating to me seem fine but my god if u watch him closely i swear, he loses the majority of his puck battles which really hurts in the playoffs...for a guy of his size and experience he should be much better at that and at times he looks confused for no reason and the puck just glides passed him and he either misses it or doesn't notice it

When your offensive creativity is less than ERod, and possibly on par with Brian Boyle, that's not wonderful when we're relying on you to win and have you signed for > $3M.

Hey Cartsy brah: please go work out with DOC and Kreider this summer with Ben Prentiss. Cut out all the gluten and whatever, sleep in a hyperbaric chamber, and do whatever else you have to do to turn back the clock.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
At times he does, but it's the lack of effort/desperation and creativity that concerns me more than anything else.

His shot was also pretty good. He was beating goalies from the top of the circle. Now it's completely dead.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Carter is pretty much one of our few big bodies out there, that can actually power his way around. So is Boyle, but Carter is much better.

Just need to use him appropriately and not lean on him so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad