Confirmed with Link: Jeff Carter signs two-year extension with Penguins

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Carter looks old out there. I don't even hate that part of it though. What I hate is his decisionmaking. He's making panicked plays with the puck constantly. It's fine to be old and slow. Bill Guerin was that in 2009. But you know what Billy never did? Never panicked with the puck, and almost always made a good decision and used his size effectively.

Carter could still do that. He just needs to play with some damned poise. He's a big guy with hands and size to shield pucks. Use that instead of just flinging pucks at the net from crap angles all the time and making hurried plays. Hold onto a damned puck!

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I no longer like this deal.

lXR8JhU.gif

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Who would’ve guess a player who got comfortable in LA after a few years would get comfortable here too…

Although, I think Sullivan’s usage of him is a little crazy.. nearly a minute more in the regular season and two minutes in the playoffs on average..

And the only guy who does PK and PP time (Rust does a tiny amount of PK)

Makes zero sense why he has such a hard on for Carter

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
And the only guy who does PK and PP time (Rust does a tiny amount of PK)

Makes zero sense why he has such a hard on for Carter
I think he has a hard on for who Carter was 5-10 years ago.

"Oooooo, he's a grizzled vet with some gas left in the tank! Just like Cullen".

And granted, he was a godsend last year...this year, he's turned into a pumpkin. His hit is manageable but the focus should be on his usage. I think the quicker we shift both Malkin and Carter to the wing and replace them with younger centers, the better off we will be.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The problem with Carter is that he should be getting paid like fellow 2003 draftee Corey Perry, but instead he's getting top 6 forward money like.....Kasperi Kapanen?

Oh shit....wait....:facepalm:

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Carter was a bad signing, Hextall should’ve known better.

It would be prudent to dump Carter and Zucker in the off-season and get some skilled wingers into the lineup.

Let’s get Kris “about to cash in” Letang out for Klingberg too, and a reliable backup in for CDS.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Carter better have a big game 6 because he sucked balls tonight.

Come on old man. Show some of that game 4 spirit and get us a big goal in game 6.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Is there an out clause? Conditional on him actually looking like a NHL player?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
My biggest issue with him right now is his lack of compete. He's always losing puck battles and just seems to be looping around out there.
Not just that but his puck decisions as well. I'm fine if he's just old and slow. Bill Guerin was old and slow in 2009.

Billy G still almost always made a good play with the puck. Carter is making crap decisions with it routinely. Get outskated? whatever. you're old. But make plays with the puck. You're a vet with multiple cups. You should not be making nervous plays out there.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The fact that Carter has turned to shit and we have 2 more years of him is such a bad look right now. Kind of has been since the half way point this season.

Not just that but his puck decisions as well. I'm fine if he's just old and slow. Bill Guerin was old and slow in 2009.

Billy G still almost always made a good play with the puck. Carter is making crap decisions with it routinely. Get outskated? whatever. you're old. But make plays with the puck. You're a vet with multiple cups. You should not be making nervous plays out there.
Billy still had a lethal shot. If he was a step behind he just knew where to be given that and still was useful. He scored 21 in his full season, 4 in that playoffs and had 7 in the playoffs the year before. Guerin was smarter with his decline.

Carter is also kind of being over used by Sullivan and that might be the bigger problem. I cited it over and over again that blokes like Carter and Boyle need to have their minutes managed because they will have nothing left in the tank come playoffs.

Literally what we're seeing now. Carter looks mentally done, Boyle is literally the slowest player in the league right now.

Reactions: Pancakes

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
So... why did they do this, again?

I don't know that Carter has been gassed out this year TBH. I think he was on a nice streak last season after being traded and coming into a new situation. Running on some adrenaline. I think he's always been a gambler and not terribly responsible with the puck so I don't get where this defensive stalwart stuff comes from. I don't think he has any consistent ability to elevate his linemates regardless of who they are or what style they play. When he gets plenty of time and space or an empty net he can still put it in. Huzzah.

I think this largely is who he is, in other words.

The Penguins got caught huffing their own farts and calling it fine perfume on this one.

Reactions: shadow1

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He does look like ass right now but he might also just be banged up or nursing an injury. Doesn't really look like he has the extra gear he did even around the mid-point of the regular season.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So... why did they do this, again?

I don't know that Carter has been gassed out this year TBH. I think he was on a nice streak last season after being traded and coming into a new situation. Running on some adrenaline. I think he's always been a gambler and not terribly responsible with the puck so I don't get where this defensive stalwart stuff comes from. I don't think he has any consistent ability to elevate his linemates regardless of who they are or what style they play. When he gets plenty of time and space or an empty net he can still put it in. Huzzah.

I think this largely is who he is, in other words.

The Penguins got caught huffing their own farts and calling it fine perfume on this one.
Bazinga

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He does look like ass right now but he might also just be banged up or nursing an injury. Doesn't really look like he has the extra gear he did even around the mid-point of the regular season.
He's just been over used. I never understood why we have so many lads in the ahl playing wing and center only to not use them when we had injuries and played Boyle and Carter way too much. They were zapped before they got to the Pens. They learned nothing with their usage.

I would have loved to see Bellerive as the 4c and then have ERod and Blueger rotate as C's when we needed to sit one or both of those old wankers.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sully's really gotta stop using Carter like he's Patrice Bergeron.

There's simply no need to use him on the PK. Blueger/McGinn the top unit, then some combination of E-Rod, Rust and Boyle on the second unit. Or, you know, utilize Kapanen now and then.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He's just been over used. I never understood why we have so many lads in the ahl playing wing and center only to not use them when we had injuries and played Boyle and Carter way too much. They were zapped before they got to the Pens. They learned nothing with their usage.

I would have loved to see Bellerive as the 4c and then have ERod and Blueger rotate as C's when we needed to sit one or both of those old wankers.
I kinda think we should run a lot more forwards on the PK too. Those can be taxing shifts plus you’re blocking shots. 1200 faceoffs probably takes its toll on a lot of body parts. No reason you can’t roll like 4 forward pairs of PK FWs in the dog days.

Definitely should’ve rested guys down the stretch too, yes. Give them a weekend off where they don’t even need to show up to the rink.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad