Confirmed with Link: Jeff Carter signs two-year extension with Penguins

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Hmmmm. Interesting I suppose. I'm... not really head over heels about it though TBH.

But hey he's done a good job here and obviously has bought in. Tough not to like Carter. I hope it all works out.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That is a really solid deal, I like it. Not any sort of steal, but $3 million for what Carter is at this point is a really solid use of money.

He's a righty center, which the Penguins are severely lacking in, and is very versatile in the kind of roles he can be used in. No complaints at all, especially at that cost.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
I really dig this. Complaining about term on an older player is moot.

Carter brings so much to this team and I easily see him continuing to be huge for us in both RS and Playoffs.

Last edited:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
As long as Sid and Geno stay healthy assuming Geno is extended which I think he will be then a third line center will be a TOI of 15 minutes which is not exausting. TB can play up as third line a Carter on RW as well.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I think a couple things could be at play here with this signing...

- The Penguins really like Crosby-Malkin-Carter-Blueger down the middle, with the ability to slot Carter and Blueger into different situations and keep them engaged
- At least one of ZAR, Rodrigues or Heinen won't be back, given the tight cap.
- The Penguins aren't expecting any high-end prospects to be ready for at least a year, especially any that can play center.
- If someone does emerge, there will be wiggle room to move Carter to wing.
- Carter won't bitch if he slides down the lineup due to performance or if other guys are playing better. He likes the situation and sees an opportunity to win in the tail end of his career.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Malkin, Letang, and Rust are set to be UFAs. Why are we handing out cap space before they are signed?
You can still do reasonable deals with those three plus Kapanen and still have plenty of space to fill out the roster. The only question is guys like Heinen and Rodrigues - what kind of raise will they be due? Likely only get one of those two.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Carter has been excellent in his time here. Still, his age is a concern. I'd prefer one year but certainly not too bad I guess.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Malkin, Letang, and Rust are set to be UFAs. Why are we handing out cap space before they are signed?
That 3.125 mil cap hit won't likely hinder those other guys from being retained. Carter is well liked, if anything this probably works in the teams favor. Knowing both Sid and Carter are gonna be here is likely only a good thing for stability moving forward.

Reactions: Giskard

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Excellent deal for the Pens. He has been solid here and slots in nicely as 3rd C. This signing isnt going to hinder Geno and Letang at all. They are just under 17mil combined, their new deals arent going to take more than that. Most likely Geno takes a minor paycut and Letang gets a small raise.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Handing Jeff Carter 3m to be our 3C does very little to change whether we can sign Letang, Malkin, and Rust. We were probably handing 3m to our 3C regardless; it was never the place we were looking to find cuts if we needed to hand out raises to those guys.

I'm just a little worried about whether he's still got it in him to tilt the ice as a 3C, and if so for how long. Dude will score and score - more than 3m normally buys at present rates - but that alone shouldn't be enough.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Rust is probably gone and locking up Carter isnt gona affect the Malkin and Letang deals. If anything, its proof to both of those players that this team isnt rebuilding.

This is a win now deal and showing Malkin and Letang you aren't starting a rebuild

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad