Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
tenor (9).gif

Reactions: NB613

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
And there it is.

Even the biggest JGP backers would have a problem with this, imo.

Love the player, but 6 years would be a mistake.

I don't know if 6 years would be a mistake, but I do think $5M is a mistake. That said, $5M isn't what it used to be in the NHL.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Exactly this
We're not ready to compete
And by the time Pageau will be declining at 5 per
And then we will cry because no money for Clarke or someone else
Norris or Abramov can be our Pageau in 3-4 years

Who is Clarke? MacArthur? We don't have to worry about paying him again.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The more i think about it, the more i think we need to sell high on Pageau. There's just too much coming. I like Pageau and he's certainly provided a couple of my top 5 memories of the past 10 years but we've got Brown Norris White, 1st rounders all of them and all of them will be able to play centre

I am starting to think of it this way

Signing Pageau could prove to be a mistake and a costly one too as a limited budget team

Getting a quality return for him - a 1st - buys time to see how the pipeline develops

Reactions: NB613 and Gesus

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
There has been some talk about Pageau being a candidate for the Selke... Thoughts?

Based on his high plus minus - for which he is a huge outlier on the team, as no one else on the Sens' roster even comes close to him - and his pace for a career year in scoring, he definitely could be a serious candidate for the Selke... provided his play rate doesn't falter too much. His goal scoring seems to have stalled a bit in the past few games, however he's mathematically on pace for around 40 goals at the moment, and even if his goal scoring drops by half for the remainder of the season he'd still finish with 30. If he keeps being out best forward on the PK and defensively in general like he has been, then I'd be surprised if he didn't at least finish among the top few in Selke votes.

But that said, it is a lot of "if's". 49 games left to go for him to either keep up his play, or to let his own stock fall.

As for the talk of trading him or not... I'd be sad to see him go, but I suppose that I'm in the camp of "depends what he'll sign for and what we could get for him". First round pick and a good prospect? Yeah, he's probably gone. No first/amazing prospect and he'll take less than $5M to stay? Probably keep him.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

No question!

Turn the page. He's a good player and appears to be an even nicer guy, but I think the right move here is to move on. Especially if there's any truth to these absurd 6years x $5m ballpark deals being talked about and a significant term commitment is required.

Are you a core, star player? No? then accept short term or leave because of the budget, simple as that imo. These are the kind of guys we need to replace cheaply and let the chips fall where they may, not the big guns.

For example...

Pageau - 5
Tierney - 4
Demelo - 4
Zaitsev - 4
White -4.5

That's 20 mil right there in role players imo. Gonna burn the budget quickly if we expect to keep them all. Hard choices have to be made even if in a bubble there is an argument for each one individually.

Reactions: Sweatred

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I would trade Pageau too for a 1st rder, but I would be more interested in getting a young potential top 9 forward or top 4 D for him even if Ottawa would need to add something to get that. This is a yr where the Sens have plenty of assets (UFAS, a couple of RFAs, picks & a few prospects) that they can use to target the players who could fit into their future plans & upgrade positions of weakness in this org. Pageau to Edm for Raphael Lavoie RW would be a good pickup for Ottawa given Ottawa is a little thin on RW.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
The time to make him an offer is now. If he is interested then sign him. If not let’s do it quickly and set the bar while he’s hot. He's our version of Bob Gainey from years ago. Extremely valuable, captains material. If not here, then in the right situation.
4 x 5M. Or make the trade.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
LOL

“I was actually surprised. I understand their point of view, but, at the same time, I think that something that happens every game and after every whistle. I understand that the game was over and there was no goal really behind that. It just happened. I’m just going to put it behind me, but there might be one less gift for my wife next year.

SNAPSHOTS: Senators centre Jean-Gabriel Pageau surprised he was fined by the NHL

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
LOL

“I was actually surprised. I understand their point of view, but, at the same time, I think that something that happens every game and after every whistle. I understand that the game was over and there was no goal really behind that. It just happened. I’m just going to put it behind me, but there might be one less gift for my wife next year.

SNAPSHOTS: Senators centre Jean-Gabriel Pageau surprised he was fined by the NHL

I am shocked there were fines for that... Maybe i missed something but from my recollection if that deserved fines every game should result in multiple fines.

Reactions: Variable26

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2