Jean Béliveau passes away at 83.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
That's actually my favourite church in Montreal. It stands out so much on Rene-Levesque st, next to hotels and office buildings.

I've walked in and just sat there quietly a few times.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That's actually my favourite church in Montreal. It stands out so much on Rene-Levesque st, next to hotels and office buildings.

I've walked in and just sat there quietly a few times.

I've been there for a concert. Accoustics quite good as I recall.

Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
Be honest, who hasn't teared up?

I had trouble fighting it. My coworkers noticed and left me alone which was really appreciated. I went through the same thing when the Rocket died, but this time there was something more. I mean come on, it's Mr Béliveau.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Keith Olbermann tribute on ESPN this evening

Thanks so much for posting that. Always enjoyed Olbermann -- few have the gift of gab and the ability to be such a signature wordsmith. He captured the essence of Béliveau and of what he meant to all of us. He offered an image of Canadians that is not always well represented within US media, unfortunately. Thanks again.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
If you were to show today's funeral to some one who's never heard of Jean Beliveau or watched hockey, he or she would ask you if this was funeral for a king and weather the bleu, blac, and rouge cloth over his casket was his sigil. The answer to both questions would of course be a resounding "yes."

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Man I just watched the eulogies and I think I swallowed something wrong when I was eating as I had this lump in my throat and it made my eyes water a lot. The Dryden and Road Runner comments really got me. I hope the current guys get a true appreciation for what it is to don the CH and how it changes someone.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
What a day to be Montreal Canadiens fan.

The beautiful funeral for the passing of a Hab giant.

The end of the heart of an era.

Very moving...

Last edited:

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I must say, the montage they replayed last night from the Bell Centre was very moving. The song was very emotional and very beautiful. I'm not sure who that was, but it was very fitting.

The images shown, again, very well done. What a life he lived.

We have lost an icon in this country.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
When my dad was a younger man years ago he was buying a case of Labatts in La Malbaie, as he was getting ready to pay for it this big man (Mr. Beliveau) says (in French) let me buy that for you, it is rare that I meet men my size! My father is 80 and he loves to tell that story!
When I was 10 he woke me up and says..Beliveau scored 3 goals including his 500th! I have never forgotten that! Jean Beliveau IS the reason my father became such a huge Habs fan and he passed that on to me and my brother!

realtalk11

Oct 7, 2013
When my dad was a younger man years ago he was buying a case of Labatts in La Malbaie, as he was getting ready to pay for it this big man (Mr. Beliveau) says (in French) let me buy that for you, it is rare that I meet men my size! My father is 80 and he loves to tell that story!
When I was 10 he woke me up and says..Beliveau scored 3 goals including his 500th! I have never forgotten that! Jean Beliveau IS the reason my father became such a huge Habs fan and he passed that on to me and my brother!

nice story :yo: how tall is your father ?

Davebo*

I must say, the montage they replayed last night from the Bell Centre was very moving. The song was very emotional and very beautiful. I'm not sure who that was, but it was very fitting.

The images shown, again, very well done. What a life he lived.

We have lost an icon in this country.

If it was the montage on the 'jumbotron' - I believe that was Ginette Reno. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone... :)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Claude Ruel was there but quietly made his way in and out -- he's been very sick and couldn't even be there for Pointu's number retirement. However, had to make an exception for Beliveau.

Saw Brulotte's social page in the Journal and he had one pic featuring Therrien, Markov, Pacioretty and ... Little Davey.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Runner 71-Is Henri Richard sick and Why was Wayne G not there or Bobby Orr just to show respect.And Where was Scotty Bowman-thanks

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I was a little surprised to see footage of Ruel at the funeral..didn't realize he was even still alive...thought he was older than 76.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
How about Lach in a wheel chair-the legend is 97 yrs old sad that so many dont remember him outside of Quebec

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Runner 71-Is Henri Richard sick and Why was Wayne G not there or Bobby Orr just to show respect.And Where was Scotty Bowman-thanks

Good questions. Ron Fournier was saying that reps from the Avalanche were trying to make it to the funeral but were held back at the airport. It is what it is. Let's be grateful for everything that was done right on that day and there was plenty. A day none of us will ever forget.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
How about Lach in a wheel chair-the legend is 97 yrs old sad that so many dont remember him outside of Quebec

I remember him from the first Hab game I ever saw. He played on the famous line with Blake and Richard. I didn't realize at the time that Blake was of Québécois descent and Lach wasn't. Of the three, only Richard would be a standout in today's game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad