Jean Béliveau passes away at 83.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
‏@BrandonPrust8
A true legend has passed away. Honoured to say I wore the same colours as the man.. Condolences to the Beliveau family

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bruins announcer Jack Edwards just gave Jean a wonderful eulogy on NESN.

As a Bruins fan he broke my heart so many times but there was never any hate, just respect.

My condolences to the Canadiens fans.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Rest in Peace Jean Béliveau. Hockey lost a great man tonight.

My heat goes out to all Canadiens fans tonight.

Alaix

I believe.
Mar 30, 2010
I never watched any of his games (shame on me), but he was one of my favorite all time Habs... R.I.P. Mr. Béliveau! :snow:

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
RIP Mr.Beliveau, I never got to watch him being a 1990 kid but I read his book and got to shake his hand a couple times at the Bell Center. It is very sad to see a habs legend go, he was a true gentleman, if there we such a thing as a perfect man it'd be him.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
He took time to write to every single fan.

tumblr_n3s7x2VT2Q1shr61qo1_1280.jpg

What's amazing is that he still did! He actually called a fan from another country once. That person was shocked.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Awful news.

Thoughts & prayers to him and his family.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
What a loss. Had a painting of Beliveau on my wall in my childhood bedroom. Sad loss for Canadiens and hockey.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
RIP.

As i am quite to young to have watched Beliveau play, my fondest memory of him was when he and Metropolit fist bumped in the lockeroom runway during that magical playoff run.

He looked so pumped, I will always remember that moment.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
:puppy:

Growing up you hear all the tales, you see snippets of the past greats, references, montages, pictures and statues. I never saw him play but somehow... I'm fiercely proud of him.

I guess that's what it means to be a true Montreal Canadien to a Montrealer. Some people call it living in the past but I think it's having heritage -- and Mr. Jean Beliveau was living proof of that class, that tradition, that dignity that never faded, but shone brightly every day he was around.

That clip of him pumping up Glen Metropolit and Maxim Lapierre in the 2011 playoff run was a particular favourite of mine. Beliveau personifies what it means to be a Montreal Canadien, and to be a sterling person. An all-around fantastic person, I know he will be revered and remembered and looked up to for decades to come.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Did RDS literally cut to commercial break as the narrator was speaking of Beliveau's life? REALLY!?!?!

That is reprehensible, unforgivable.

To be fair some broadcasts are automatic and sometimes the broadcast director (who is very, very stressed at all times) makes mistakes. There is no way it was purposeful or even negligent - must've been a slip of the finger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad