Sportsnet: JD Bunkis 590 "The days of Nick Robertson being a Maple Leaf are numbered"

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
another decentgame by Robertson, even given the low minutes because of the obscene amount of penalties.
that line crushed it 5 on 5 tonight .

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
another decentgame by Robertson, even given the low minutes because of the obscene amount of penalties.
that line crushed it 5 on 5 tonight .
Now they said that,Robertson will be perennial 30 goal guy for the Leafs for the next 10 seasons.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I feel like they've really mismanaged Robertson. This team has been so desperate for secondary scoring, that they've just been yo-yoing this young prospect up and down to the Leafs/Marlies for years.

Go look at how we developed Brown, Johnsson, Moore, Engvall, Hyman, etc (i.e. guys that we successfully developed). These guys weren't given a taste of NHL action until they had ~100+, and in some cases ~150-200+ games against men, whether that was in the AHL, SHL, NCAA, etc. They weren't brought up until they were ~23+ years old.

Robertson though? He's only 21 years old right now (i.e. younger than when any of those guys got their first taste of NHL action), and he's already been brought up to the NHL in each of the past 3 seasons. He should have zero NHL games under his belt right now. He's not ready today, and certainly wasn't ready when they rushed him into the lineup as a 19 year old. He should be focused on developing his game in the AHL right now.
With wingers you know right away if they can score or not .. a winger is ether a scorer and plays right away or he develops into a checker in minors .. you can't teach scoring

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
So do you think he's a scorer in the NHL or headed for a minor league career?

I haven't seen enough to know.
Good question ,, i liked his game earlier on in season when he looked real hungry to score and did have 1 great game .. but he also has had quite a few more games where he looks not ready as he was a big scorer in O .. i am not ready to give up on him yet but as part of a deal to strengthen our backend for playoffs I'm fine with that

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
As I said in the GDT he is half a step too slow and/or a bit too weak to play his game in the NHL. You can tell IF he can improve one of these areas the way he plays he will score lots of goals, likely 20-30 goal scorer.

The question for me is if he will get faster and stronger. Right now by the time he gets to the puck the gaps have vanished and he is being smothered by a defender he is too weak to push off the puck.

What makes Nylander, Matthews, Marner, etc so elite is their ability to take a step or two and have space all around them causing defense to either over commit to their shot or take the pass and let them get set for a shot.

Tavares is elite because he can push almost anyone off of the puck around the net.

Robertson needs to adapt his game to one of these styles. Preferably both

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I don't buy for one second Robertson is getting traded. No more than the 50,000 other rumours that didn't happen. Sure if the right top 6 forward to help us win a cup pops up but any team will look at it then. The Leafs need a top 6 winger. Is it Robertson? We will know by TD. Relax.

People forget, the Leafs are winning. Dubas has no reason to panic.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
I’ve noticed Justin Bourne is going out of his way to shit on Robertson just like he did with Lilly last year. Guy is such a 🤡.

Reactions: 81Leafs50

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't buy for one second Robertson is getting traded. No more than the 50,000 other rumours that didn't happen. Sure if the right top 6 forward to help us win a cup pops up but any team will look at it then. The Leafs need a top 6 winger. Is it Robertson? We will know by TD. Relax.

People forget, the Leafs are winning. Dubas has no reason to panic.

So far it doesn't look like it's Robertson

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad