Signing(s): Jays sign J.A. Happ - 3 years/36 M

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Ya he went from one of the worst starters in baseball to league average maybe. I just don't have much faith in guys who can't strike batters out and also walk a lot of batters, it tends to be a really really bad combination.
So you're happy to keep Sanchez in the pen? I think he needs more time in the rotation to see if he can work out the control and stuff. Might as well see what you got while you can before it's too late.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
So you're happy to keep Sanchez in the pen? I think he needs more time in the rotation to see if he can work out the control and stuff. Might as well see what you got while you can before it's too late.

I'm not against that I just don't think he should be working on that in the majors. If it was up to me he is either in the pen for the Jays or if they want to start him he is in AAA.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I am one of the few posters on the Blue Jays board who believes that Sanchez can be an effective starter long term. Before he got hurt he put up a streak of starts where he was limiting his walks and going deep into games. I'm okay with the low K totals, as long as he can keep the walks down. Out of the pen he showed flashes of being able to finally get his curveball down, as well as his cutter showing some promise. I'd like to see if he can continue that as a starter before making him a permanent reliever.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He needs to only be facing major league batters IMO.

Eh If the Jays want to compete I wouldn't be handing out a rotation spot for development purposes. Sanchez needs a lot of work to be a good starter still and as is I already think there are 5 maybe 6 options better then Sanchez for the opening day rotation. If you want to stretch him out send him to AAA hope he figures out how to not walk guys and maybe strike the odd person out and keep consistency with his off speed pitches. I don't hate Sanchez there is a lot of potential in his arm but there needs to be significant development for him to reach that and I just don't think letting him do that in the majors on a team that is supposed to be contending is smart.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Wasn't Sanchez starting to put it together a bit before he got injured last year, and then put in the pen? I know taking them out of the bullpen hurts the bullpen, but I'm just not sure if it's common practice to let a potential starter stay in the bullpen pitching an inning or two at most all year.

It may not be common practice but I'm not convinced that Sanchez has what it takes to be a SP. His minor league record is very average to say the least and doesn't inspire much confidence that he can move to the rotation. Osuna is definitely much closer but I'm not sure about giving him a SP job at 21, he's going to need to build strength and stamina to pitch at least a 5-inning game every 5 days.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Over reaction much..

If that is the starting rotation, then no, it is not an overreaction. The team:

- has several top offensive stars near the end of their prime
- has just come off an incredible second half of the season in which they made the playoffs for the first time in over two decades
- the fans and tv viewers responded accordingly pumping tens of millions of additional revenues into the team

The owners and management's response is to state that the team will have a payroll of $140 million for the 2016 season - the same season-ending payroll as 2015 - thereby negating any chance of signing a legit #1 or #2 pitcher for the starting rotation. Management then makes a horrible, nonsensical trade of a damn good reliever with 4 years control for a mediocre one who benefited from a pitcher's ballpark last season and will be lucky to pitch beyond 150 innings. They then follow this up by paying an enormous amount for a pitcher in half who pitched well with a very small sample size in Pittsburgh.

Maybe the Jays make some improvements to the bullpen to soften the blow of what is shaping up to be a mediocre starting rotation. They need to as what the bullpen displayed in the post season was clearly not good enough. As it stands right now, the starting staff may be marginally better than last year's at the beginning of the season.

IMO, the stage has been set. Unless pitchers like Estrada, Chavez and Happ continue to perform over and above their peripherals or continue to pitch extraordinary based on a small sample size, we will likely see a .500 team at the deadline. This time there will be no deep farm system to save them. It will give Shapiro the excuse to trade several veteran assets like Bautista, Encarnacion, possibly Dickey and maybe even the likes of Donaldson (probably not but who knows if the price is right) to begin a long and arduous rebuild with little guarantee of success given Shapiro's poor track record. Rogers will like it as they will have an excuse to have a payroll under $100 million. Wouldn't want the Blue Jays to have a top - 6 payroll in the major leagues would we?

Meanwhile Blue Jays fans across the country who were once again excited and engaged by the team's second half and post season will be resigned to once again cheering mediocrity for who knows how many years.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
one would argue that bautista or encarnacion should be expended in order to make the team better.

they went all in in 2015 and fell six wins short. there's no harm in that but history shows us that returning a team of older players and expecting them to pick up where they left off is misguided. i wouldn't doubt that shapiro is looking to deal bautista or encarnacion. bautista's 35, encarnacion is 32 and both are entering the final year of their contracts.

they have tulowitzki signed until the year before the end of time and donaldson is entering year 2 of arb and could get really expensive really quickly. this is a tough spot to be in if you're shapiro.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I am one of the few posters on the Blue Jays board who believes that Sanchez can be an effective starter long term. Before he got hurt he put up a streak of starts where he was limiting his walks and going deep into games. I'm okay with the low K totals, as long as he can keep the walks down. Out of the pen he showed flashes of being able to finally get his curveball down, as well as his cutter showing some promise. I'd like to see if he can continue that as a starter before making him a permanent reliever.

My line of thinking as well.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
one would argue that bautista or encarnacion should be expended in order to make the team better.

they went all in in 2015 and fell six wins short. there's no harm in that but history shows us that returning a team of older players and expecting them to pick up where they left off is misguided. i wouldn't doubt that shapiro is looking to deal bautista or encarnacion. bautista's 35, encarnacion is 32 and both are entering the final year of their contracts.

they have tulowitzki signed until the year before the end of time and donaldson is entering year 2 of arb and could get really expensive really quickly. this is a tough spot to be in if you're shapiro.

They'd be smart to trade Bautista and EE. Build around Donaldson and Tulo. Lot of people will disagree with this IMO.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
They'd be smart to trade Bautista and EE. Build around Donaldson and Tulo. Lot of people will disagree with this IMO.

I'm on board with this but they have veto rights so trades might be doubtful. I have no problem resigning EE or Bautista but it would have to be reasonable. That's why I think the Jays should push for Heyward. Then it gives them flexibility and helps rejuvenate the roster

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
5 and 10 rights, no chance they waive.

I wouldn't say there's no chance they waive. If they get traded to a team they feel has a legit chance to contend they will waive. I doubt Bautista invokes his no trade clause if it meant playing for the Dodgers or Angels for example.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Doesn't matter how anyone views Stroman, the Jays still need another #2 at least to be strong contenders.

They were an 891 run team with Travis out most of the year and Reyes instead of Tulowitzki. They might be the first team to break 1,000 since the '99 Indians.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad