Blue Jays Discussion: Jays quiet at deadline; Lester to A's, Price to Tigers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I like Gose's speed/defence and would be fine with handing him the CF job next season provided that an upgrade is made at 2nd. Say Gose's hit tool doesn't improve, Goins/Tolleson are at 2nd, and it's likely at least 1 of Reyes and Lawrie will miss significant time. That leaves too many black holes in the offense, without factoring in other injuries that may occur.

I'd also be OK with giving Colby another year and wait for Pompey, provided it doesn't preclude re-signing Melky. Colby is having a down year, and he's maddeningly inconsistent, but he's a solid defender in CF and has been an above average player overall for most of his career. Colby in any year except this one is a solid regular.

Not saying we shouldn't upgrade at 2b but I think a lot of us forget we have izturis coming back next year. Not sure we can count on much from him after missing a full year but he'll still be part of the team. His bat was actually looking good for a 2b before he got hurt

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Not saying we shouldn't upgrade at 2b but I think a lot of us forget we have izturis coming back next year. Not sure we can count on much from him after missing a full year but he'll still be part of the team. His bat was actually looking good for a 2b before he got hurt

Yeah he's definitely a consideration, but I don't know how much we can count on him to provide after missing a whole season (and being a borderline starter previously).

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
It would be nice to see the Orioles SPs come back down to earth, 16 out of their last 20 games they have allowed 3 ERs or less and pitching 6 innings or more for 14 out of 20 of those games. Makes it pretty easy for the BP to keep the wins intact when they're pitching such few innings and given good leads.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Yeah he's definitely a consideration, but I don't know how much we can count on him to provide after missing a whole season (and being a borderline starter previously).

Yeah just with his name being excluded from the discussion I thought it appropriate to put out the reminder because I generally forget we have him. With 3m guaranteed for next year he'll be on te team and maybe it's just as a bench option which isn't a bad thing either. But unless they upgrade at 2b it's his job and the others will be competing for a bench spot

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Offense isn't clicking, Sanchez is injured, bullpen sucks.

Tigers were probably counting on Verlander to go long in the ball game but he threw 40 pitches in the 1st inning.

Soria going down as well hurts them a lot. Really their best pen arm

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Verlander got pulled after one inning. I know he is struggling this year but I would think they would have left him in there longer.

Lets just say there may be a certain something... or should I say, someone being a bit of a... distraction to Verlander :naughty:

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Lets just say there may be a certain something... or should I say, someone being a bit of a... distraction to Verlander :naughty:

LOL. I think the core muscle injury he had in the off-season has affected him more than we know. That can be tough to recover from as a pitcher.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Should've taken Jose Canseco's advice and used steroids to improve the performance of said muscle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad