Blue Jays Discussion: Jays draft IF/OF Austin Martin at #5 overall. Time to celebrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
The video is here is people want to raise their blood pressure:

watching Volquez taunt Donaldson in that game passed me off.

They officiating against the Royals in the regular season and playoffs was awful.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Without seeing the list I thought I would be Colabello. But who they selected made sense but this player has some good years before his one year breakout.
Sonnanstine from the Rays? I remember that name.
Not related to the topic, but I remember Josh Towers. His issue was he refused to throw anything but strikes.

Last edited:

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
What I’d give to see a Jays game nowadays with spring officially upon us. I miss having 162 days worth of guaranteed sports over a 183-day period over the summer.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Here's a question...why do we have the 5th highest pick but only the 9th highest bonus pool?

The 6-9 teams in the draft order (Mariners, Pirates, Padres, Rockies) all got Competitive Balance picks which increase their pool amounts enough to leapfrog the Jays, who have no additional picks awarded (FA Compensation picks would do the same, but none of the relevant teams got any.)

The longer, more detailed look:
The pool order is:

BAL
DET
KC
MIA
PIT
SD
COL
SEA
TOR

And the pick order is:
DET
BAL
MIA
KC
TOR
SEA
PIT
SD
COL

So that means that Pittsburgh, San Diego, Colorado, and Seattle are jumping the Jays in the pool lineup.

Pittsburgh - Pick #31 (CBalA) worth $2.312m
San Diego - Pick #34 (CBalA) worth $2.148m
Colorado - Pick #35 (CBalA) worth $2.096m
Seattle - Pick #65 (CBalB) worth $1.025m

In each case the value of those picks is enough to vault them ahead of the Jays' pool amounts (with no CBal or FA Compo picks)

Reactions: Kurtz

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
8 Players I Can’t Wait to Watch in 2020

I can’t wait to watch the Kin 4 (Bichette, Vlad Jr., and these two) and honestly, the shortened season could benefit the Jays as the volatility of 75-100 games. I’d be down to draft any of the four, but Bichette and Vlad Jr. are a good bit more expensive than these two. I’ve mentioned this throughout the offseason, but Gurriel essentially has a full season of MLB team and he’s put up 31 HR, 85 RBI, 92 R, and 7 SB with a .279 AVG in 606 PA.

Biggio needs to be a bit more aggressive. His 29% K rate just didn’t make any sense. He only had a 9% swinging strike rate so it’s not about whiffing a ton. He’s definitely missing hittable pitches and needs to consider attacking earlier in counts. There’s some major power/speed upside and even with the heavy strikeout rate, we still saw it in his 100-game sample last year (16 HR/14 SB).

Pick 8 players he can’t wait to see out of all MLBers and 2 of them are Jays, none of them are Vladdy or Bichette.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I was just thinking about the upcoming draft if it happens. This year is going to be even more of a crap shoot with the draft. Scouts won’t be able to see guys progress and regress. The list at the start of the off season in always drastically different to draft day. High schoolers will be the hardest for them to judge

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
I was just thinking about the upcoming draft if it happens. This year is going to be even more of a crap shoot with the draft. Scouts won’t be able to see guys progress and regress. The list at the start of the off season in always drastically different to draft day. High schoolers will be the hardest for them to judge

Good Point

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
The good news if the draft even happens is the top 5 remains the same. Just different orders. But after that will be interesting

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Sonnanstine from the Rays? I remember that name.
Not related to the topic, but I remember Josh Towers. His issue was he refused to throw anything but strikes.
I will never forget the year Towers went 2-10 while the rest of the team was 85-65. That team mashed the hell out if the baseball that year and were a good starter away from making the playoffs in all likelyhood.

Reactions: Cold Cat

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The video is here is people want to raise their blood pressure:

I lost a lot of respect for Donaldson during this game. They were leaning into pitches so you have to pitch inside so getting upset at off speed pitches was a little much.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I haven't looked at the temporary draft rules, but is there anything in place to stop a team from taking 4 un-signable guys after the first round and offering them the minimum required to get 4 compensation picks (and the extra pool money) in what will presumably be a stacked draft class in 2021? This seems more viable if there is no minor league season of course, as we would still have to fill out rosters. But I mean how many good players will actually be signable from picks 2 through 5 without the extra bonus money from punted picks in rounds 6 through 10?

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
My current board for pick #5:

Slot
1) Torkelson
2) Martin
3) Hancock
4) Mitchell
5) Acy

Below slot
1) Veen
2) Meyer
3) Crochett
4) Hassell
5) Soderstrom

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
I haven't looked at the temporary draft rules, but is there anything in place to stop a team from taking 4 un-signable guys after the first round and offering them the minimum required to get 4 compensation picks (and the extra pool money) in what will presumably be a stacked draft class in 2021? This seems more viable if there is no minor league season of course, as we would still have to fill out rosters. But I mean how many good players will actually be signable from picks 2 through 5 without the extra bonus money from punted picks in rounds 6 through 10?

Only the first two rounds do you gain compensation picks for the next year if you don’t sign a player. You are right that there is likely going to be a lot of high-school players going to college compared to usual, especially if there is only four rounds.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
My current board for pick #5:

Slot
1) Torkelson
2) Martin
3) Hancock
4) Mitchell
5) Acy

Below slot
1) Veen
2) Meyer
3) Crochett
4) Hassell
5) Soderstrom

Honestly if I’m the Blue Jays, considering the lack of scouting opportunities this year, I’m picking whoever is left from the top five college players this year (Torkelson, Martin, Hancock, Lacy, or Gonzales). They seem to be in a tier of their own in the draft this year, and at least the couple weeks of play before the NCAA season ended gives teams an idea of where they stood before the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad