Player Discussion Jay Woodcroft

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Yep. There goes that posters whole argument. Then he says I'm on an acid trip. Another one for the ignore file. Every post he makes its some kind of flaming of others opinions, ironically on a discussion board.

Nobodies saying it is. But given an option between the best coach in the business and a guy learning the trade I know who I pick on a McDrai time clock. People are making a big deal about getting past weak Pacific division opponents I expected to beat. That said we got by LA without Doughty by the slimmest of margins. One could look at that as success or critique it took all of 7 games and getting some breaks.

The other way to look at it, and its hard not to, is the Oilers are doing no better against the AV's than the first round fodder Predators did. Really the Oil have been ordinary in two rounds and were good against the Flames who ALWAYS lie down in the playoffs. But living a charmed life too of playing Kings without Doughty and Calgary without Tanev (most of series).
There's a few posts/posters starting to pin the tail on Woodcroft over the past page or three. Maybe you have those posters on ignore or didn't see them but they're there, or they're how they read to me anyways. I like Trotz alot but Woodcroft brought this team back from the dead with just under half the season left. In my opinion, the Oilers are about 2-3 years away from being unanimous cup contenders and by then Woodcroft will be well experienced. This year, they're playing with house money at this point. I expected them to beat LA and Calgary but not Colorado or St.Louis. I hate to say it but eliminating Calgary was my "Stanley Cup" for this season up to winning the actual cup, which I knew was a very tall task. Colorado looks poised to possibly end Tampa's reign. Against LA, yes they barely got by them without Doughty but Quick was within a whisker of stealing that series. He had two bad games and five where he was the better goalie on the ice.

No one will ever convince me otherwise but goaltending wins you Cups. Let me put it this way: If the 2006 Oilers were to play the 2022 Oilers, I'd put my money on the 06 Oilers. That team just had "it" that spring. This version is close but they are missing some key components yet. One of those components is elite goaltending, which Roli was giving. I would trade anyone on the current roster not named McDavid or Draisaitl for Hellebuyck. In the history of the Conn Smythe trophy, goalies are in second with most wins at 17. Defensemen are a distant third at 11 wins (centers have 19 and wingers 7).

Markstrom let the Oilers into his head and set up shop. He was not his usual self against the Oilers but I think the Oilers invested so much focus on eliminating the heathen Flames, they've lost the hunger and are playing "just happy to be here" hockey.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There's a few posts/posters starting to pin the tail on Woodcroft over the past page or three. Maybe you have those posters on ignore or didn't see them but they're there, or they're how they read to me anyways. I like Trotz alot but Woodcroft brought this team back from the dead with just under half the season left. In my opinion, the Oilers are about 2-3 years away from being unanimous cup contenders and by then Woodcroft will be well experienced. This year, they're playing with house money at this point. I expected them to beat LA and Calgary but not Colorado or St.Louis. I hate to say it but eliminating Calgary was my "Stanley Cup" for this season up to winning the actual cup, which I knew was a very tall task. Colorado looks poised to possibly end Tampa's reign. Against LA, yes they barely got by them without Doughty but Quick was within a whisker of stealing that series. He had two bad games and five where he was the better goalie on the ice.

No one will ever convince me otherwise but goaltending wins you Cups. Let me put it this way: If the 2006 Oilers were to play the 2022 Oilers, I'd put my money on the 06 Oilers. That team just had "it" that spring. This version is close but they are missing some key components yet. One of those components is elite goaltending, which Roli was giving. I would trade anyone on the current roster not named McDavid or Draisaitl for Hellebuyck. In the history of the Conn Smythe trophy, goalies are in second with most wins at 17. Defensemen are a distant third at 11 wins (centers have 19 and wingers 7).

Markstrom let the Oilers into his head and set up shop. He was not his usual self against the Oilers but I think the Oilers invested so much focus on eliminating the heathen Flames, they've lost the hunger and are playing "just happy to be here" hockey.
To be clear I would continue with Woodcroft unless a Trotz is willing and available. Provided the team wants this which seems to be the case. So I'm not calling for firing or anything. I am sometimes responding to what I see as blanket approval of Woodcroft and even as he's made a lot of mistakes as well. I've detailed those in other posts. I tend to push back on collective mindsets, just what I'm like. I'm skeptical in nature and tend to need more corroborating evidence.

Next, you say that Woodcroft "Brought the team back from the dead" I don't subscribe to that. The team was +5 games over .500 when he took over. Even a modest continuance was going to have the club in range of a WC spot. That they got there handily is nice. In anycase it becomes a matter of attribution. Several factors exist for the team improving, and here's some, not all factors, no particular order:

Kane Acquisition
Kulak Acquisition
McDavid late season heater (happens every season lately)
Woodcroft promotion
Player performance bump of playing for any new coach.
The general Carrot of the club being able to envision playing in front of fans in playoffs this year.
Return from Covid infections, sickness, injury, to the team being more healthy.

I could also add that the last 25 games or so is often a grab bag of easier games because of teams that are out of playoffs, tanking, teams that are already a lock and not playing hard, and others that are in a playoff battle and that are holding sticks tight. A competent club that needs pts in last third of season can often get them. Especially with a coaching change, and especially with players like McDrai/Kane getting redhot.

But the bullet points above give you an idea of where I assign attribution for improvement, and that several factors, not just coaching, are involved in the change. I think even if we didn't get a quality coach in, but basically any competent coach, we still make playoffs. The team had tired of Tippett, and this much is clear.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
To be clear I would continue with Woodcroft unless a Trotz is willing and available. Provided the team wants this which seems to be the case. So I'm not calling for firing or anything. I am sometimes responding to what I see as blanket approval of Woodcroft and even as he's made a lot of mistakes as well. I've detailed those in other posts. I tend to push back on collective mindsets, just what I'm like. I'm skeptical in nature and tend to need more corroborating evidence.

Next, you say that Woodcroft "Brought the team back from the dead" I don't subscribe to that. The team was +5 games over .500 when he took over. Even a modest continuance was going to have the club in range of a WC spot. That they got there handily is nice. In anycase it becomes a matter of attribution. Several factors exist for the team improving, and here's some, not all factors, no particular order:

Kane Acquisition
Kulak Acquisition
McDavid late season heater (happens every season lately)
Woodcroft promotion
Player performance bump of playing for any new coach.
The general Carrot of the club being able to envision playing in front of fans in playoffs this year.
Return from Covid infections, sickness, injury, to the team being more healthy.

I could also add that the last 25 games or so is often a grab bag of easier games because of teams that are out of playoffs, tanking, teams that are already a lock and not playing hard, and others that are in a playoff battle and that are holding sticks tight. A competent club that needs pts in last third of season can often get them. Especially with a coaching change, and especially with players like McDrai/Kane getting redhot.

But the bullet points above give you an idea of where I assign attribution for improvement, and that several factors, not just coaching, are involved in the change. I think even if we didn't get a quality coach in, but basically any competent coach, we still make playoffs. The team had tired of Tippett, and this much is clear.
First bolded: Honestly, I'm tired of the coaching changes. I really like Trotz but in the grand scheme of things, his coaching resume- especially in the playoffs, is not all that spectacular. Granted, he started off with an expansion team under the old rules but over the years, Poile gave him a ton of talent to work with and they never got out of the second round. The same thing with Washington...could not get them out of the second round until the year they won the cup and he was on an expiring deal. He had better success with the Islanders but two of those "Conference finals" losses were Covid cup/shortened seasons. Woodcroft has taken this team from out of the playoffs to the Conference finals with 37 career games coached. It took Trotz two decades to get that far.

Second bolded: When Tippett was finally canned, the Oilers were 5th in the Pacific and out of the playoffs by 5 points. This is year 6 or 7 with the dynamic duo. They should not be fighting for a wild card spot at this juncture. They should be competing for tops in the league. Settling for a wild card is not good enough for me anymore. The team looked awful on the ice. Had Holland rode the season out with Tippett, we'd be be discussing draft picks. Woodcroft and Manson absolutely brought them back them back from the dead. When the players are taking subtle shots at the previous coaching staff (Ryan, RNH to name a couple), that should tell you all you need to know what the temperature was in that locker room. In that 7-13-3 stretch, they had 7 losses to non-playoff teams.

No question Kane and Kulak have huge been additions but with Kane, not a lot of teams were knocking his door down. I think it was Serevalli who said of 31 teams, 5 were seriously looking but just two were doing more than hard kicks at the tires (Caps and Oilers).

I definitely agree it's not all on coaching why it was such a huge turnaround but you cannot deny it was a major contributor/catalyst. The players have bought in to his program. You're only going to see Woodcroft improve.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just gonna mention this here, because its such a head scratcher, and it should be looked at. Why were none of the taxi squad players or Holloway pulled in earlier? Why the hell did Malone get two playoff games when we have other guys that have played the season, like Shore just sitting. I can't imagine thats a very positive message. Its not attractive either because its nepotism. Woody playing his own guy. That Malone was the guy that ended up drawing is was such a weird look. Out of nowhere. No reason to do it, and Malone is old, there is no future or reason to give him that look. You give it to either one of the guys that played this season or one of the prospect forwards.

Not only that but Woody puts Malone out there in 2nd shift of OT to lose the faceoff, he has Bouchard and Keith out there who have been horrible, and thats the OT winning goal. Game, series, season over. That is brutal deployment, nobody mentioning it.

I mean this even backfired on Malone. His last memory in the NHL will be losing a faceoff that ended a season. I'm not blaming him but what a shitty way to go. No way he should have been even in there taking that draw. Just strange stuff Woody does.

I mean I said before OT don't start the 4th line in OT. I thought I was joking. IN all our org Malone is the extra that you dress and put out there. f***.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Just gonna mention this here, because its such a head scratcher, and it should be looked at. Why were none of the taxi squad players or Holloway pulled in earlier? Why the hell did Malone get two playoff games when we have other guys that have played the season, like Shore just sitting. I can't imagine thats a very positive message. Its not attractive either because its nepotism. Woody playing his own guy. That Malone was the guy that ended up drawing is was such a weird look. Out of nowhere. No reason to do it, and Malone is old, there is no future or reason to give him that look. You give it to either one of the guys that played this season or one of the prospect forwards.

Not only that but Woody puts Malone out there in 2nd shift of OT to lose the faceoff, he has Bouchard and Nurse out there who have been horrible, and thats the OT winning goal. Game, series, season over. That is brutal deployment, nobody mentioning it.

I mean this even backfired on Malone. His last memory in the NHL will be losing a faceoff that ended a season. I'm not blaming him but what a shitty way to go. No way he should have been even in there taking that draw. Just strange stuff Woody does.

I mean I said before OT don't start the 4th line in OT. I thought I was joking. IN all our org Malone is the extra that you dress and put out there. f***.
Woody showed some warts this series no doubt. Still it took the best team in the conference in the 3rd round to bring them out. He will learn from this.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Woody showed some warts this series no doubt. Still it took the best team in the conference in the 3rd round to bring them out. He will learn from this.
Well, lots of warts were seen in the first round as well. The Calgary round was good execution, the other two series not so much. I expect he gets the job, but I still have questions. Really unusual use of roster, not inserting players, riding with players that are hella struggling. I dunno, seems like too much of the time Woody was focused on not making waves with any players than taking stronger direction and sitting hurt or struggling players. We had other guys that could draw in.

Like any other coach he plays favorites and he rides too much on the status quo. But the draw ins being Archibald and Malone. Just bizarre. Right out of left field. he opted to insert two guys in playoffs that hadn't played the season, and both players on the outs anyway. Why do it?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Well, lots of warts were seen in the first round as well. The Calgary round was good execution, the other two series not so much. I expect he gets the job, but I still have questions. Really unusual use of roster, not inserting players, riding with players that are hella struggling. I dunno, seems like too much of the time Woody was focused on not making waves with any players than taking stronger direction and sitting hurt or struggling players. We had other guys that could draw in.

Like any other coach he plays favorites and he rides too much on the status quo. But the draw ins being Archibald and Malone. Just bizarre.
He was the interim coach so he probably didn’t want to shake things up to much until he had a contract. Malone being a draw in wasn’t odd as Malone can PK well and isn’t afraid to be physical. Archibald being in so much was definitely odd though.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007

Like any other coach he plays favorites and he rides too much on the status quo. But the draw ins being Archibald and Malone. Just bizarre. Right out of left field. he opted to insert two guys in playoffs that hadn't played the season, and both players on the outs anyway. Why do it?
11-7 was less about our d than about not having 12 fwds that the coach trusted. My take is if 10 and 11 only play 5 minutes they may as well be shit disturbers like Arch and Malone

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He was the interim coach so he probably didn’t want to shake things up to much until he had a contract. Malone being a draw in wasn’t odd as Malone can PK well and isn’t afraid to be physical. Archibald being in so much was definitely odd though.
Malone at his age is not an NHL player. He can't play minutes, he can't be used, he shouldn't be dressed. it was nepotism.

I mean the guy has 30 NHL games played through the last 5 seasons and HE is the player that draws in in the biggest homestand of the biggest series in 16yrs? its mind boggling.

Malone hadn't played in the NHL in years. The only one that thinks he's even remotely an NHL player at age 33 is Woody. Before Woody got here the last NHL game Malone played in was 3 seasons ago. Its more than a headscratcher.

Then he plays that guy in OT to take the faceoff OWNZONE at HOME and the Oilers get burned. Sorry, season done,

I mean at least give that draw to Drai, McD, Nuge, Ryan. (or Shore who wasn't even dressed) but to give that to Malone and have it blow up in your face. Inexplicable. its not isolated either.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Malone at his age is not an NHL player. He can't play minutes, he can't be used, he shouldn't be dressed. it was nepotism.

I mean the guy has 30 NHL games played through the last 5 seasons and HE is the player that draws in in the biggest homestand of the biggest series in 16yrs? its mind boggling.

Malone hadn't played in the NHL in years. The only one that thinks he's even remotely an NHL player at age 33 is Woody. Before Woody got here the last NHL game Malone played in was 3 seasons ago. Its more than a headscratcher.

Then he plays that guy in OT to take the faceoff OWNZONE at HOME and the Oilers get burned. Sorry, season done,

I mean at least give that draw to Drai, McD, Nuge, Ryan. (or Shore who wasn't even dressed) but to give that to Malone and have it blow up in your face. Inexplicable. its not isolated either.
Malone was a guy Woody knew well. At least. Malone played better these 2 games than Archibald played all playoffs

It’s either Woodcroft or Trotz. None of the other names are at all enticing.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
11-7 was less about our d than about not having 12 fwds that the coach trusted. My take is if 10 and 11 only play 5 minutes they may as well be shit disturbers like Arch and Malone
Thats fine. But shorten the bench in the season deciding OT in an elimination game. Again this was 2nd shift of OT, Faceoff ownzone. he puts Malone out there for the draw with our weakest current pairing of Nurse Bouchard out there. Tempting fate repeatedly apparently.

Only around 8-9forwards should have seen the ice in OT. you go with your guns as along as you can and with these two clubs you know the OT will be short.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Malone was a guy Woody knew well. At least. Malone played better these 2 games than Archibald played all playoffs

It’s either Woodcroft or Trotz. None of the other names are at all enticing.
Maybe Woody could know that Malone had not been an NHL player for 3yrs before he tried to resurrect his career in the strangest of callups in the reg season, and now in the playoffs. Pure nepotism. Not a good look.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
A great start for Woodcroft, but him sticking with Smith till the end is strange and IMO a clear minus. I wonder if the order came from a higher level and/or maybe Smith gave him pressure by showing he'd take it badly if Koskinen played. A conspiracy theory warning, but I even thought to myself maybe there was a secret deal that Smith will retire after this year if he gets to start all the games till the end.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Fixed this team up 5 v 5 which is badly what they needed.

Mind boggling decisions with going 12 6 instead of 11 7. Didn't Scratch Archibald quickly. Refused to give Holloway minutes in a game he was in.

Stuck with Smith when he cost the team game after game.

Trotz should get an interview at the very least.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Fixed this team up 5 v 5 which is badly what they needed.

Mind boggling decisions with going 12 6 instead of 11 7. Didn't Scratch Archibald quickly. Refused to give Holloway minutes in a game he was in.

Stuck with Smith when he cost the team game after game.

Trotz should get an interview at the very least.
Coaching for job security. He has no contract, he's not going to stick his neck out playing rookies in must win games, same with Smith. He probably realizes that Kosk is not any kind of upgrade and part of it is going with the guy that will both - be here next year/is a leader and the guy your GM gave a contract to.

This is his first chance to be a HC in the show and as much as we can analyze these other players maybe giving us a slight edge I doubt anyone here thinks we realistically win this series if those other minor decisions are made. He already tossed our deadline brassard pickup, he's not going to add 3-4 other rogue decisions against the way his extremely veteran GM built the team.

I know it does suck, because you want your coach to maximize the roster and do whatever it takes to win, but if it doesn't work out and he doesn't get extended then he potentially torpedoes his career on long shot galaxy brain coaching decisions, then his family has to live with that. Not us. A coaching extension sets this guy up and that's what he's worked his whole life for, there will be other playoff opportunities. I think he will get extended, but how much of that is the regular season bump and going two rounds, and how much of that is playing ball with his GM? If he doesn't get extended, at least he coached the team in a way he can explain in job interviews to the dinosaurs of the league.

The entire NHL system in an archaic OBC, we know that from watching our org for the last decade. I have trouble blaming a rookie interim HC for not going 'balls out play all the rookies' in do or die playoff games. At the end of the day, the McDavids, Keiths, Smiths, and Nurses of the team are the ones going to go into the year end GM interview and say - bring this guy back next year. That's how he gets rehired. If playing them more than he should have when they were failing accomplishes that, then so be it.

Do I find it a bit disappointing, yes. But the reality is you have to play the political games. He's not a Barry Trotz where he can come in and tell players to do it his way or hit the bricks, he doesn't have that kind of juice yet.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'd think giving an interview to Trotz would be pretty insulting to Woodcroft. It's not about feelings necessarily, but if that happens then maybe Woodcroft looks elsewhere as well. It'd just be fair.

And btw, Woodcroft would be signed very quickly.

Reactions: oilers'72 and ujju2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'd think giving an interview to Trotz would be pretty insulting to Woodcroft. It's not about feelings necessarily, but if that happens then maybe Woodcroft looks elsewhere as well. It'd just be fair.

Interviewing the best candidate available, the best coach in the world, if, he's available, would be insulting? I don't get that, and its that kind of thinking that had the team hire Chia, and not even go on a talent hunt, or hire Nicholson, and not even go on a talent hunt, or Hire Eakins as HC on a whim when MacT was statedly only looking for an assistant coach.

A professional diligent org interviews various people for the job, which is available, to get the best candidate possible in the position.

For this org to be thinking about optics anyway is off to me because they do a lot of things where the optics are awful. Like calling their own fans 2nd or 3rd tier.

If Trotz is available and willing you take him. He's the ready to unpack premium coach that has transformed teams quickly. We don't have a lot of time for Woody to learn the ropes and be making mistakes.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

Well then someone needs to ask woodcroft these same tough questions in the exit interview why he made the decisions he made. A lot of the correct ones he made too late. A lot of the bad ones like smith he refused to change.

The sad part is if we won thst OT game he'd still give Smith the next start.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Have to feel he has got the job. We talk about interviewing other coaches but how would that show they are any better than we just saw.

I have a feeling they liked Smith in the net for the same reason he can be scary. His puck handling is helpful for a quick team. I can't see Koksi being a improvement goaltending wise and if it is true he is heading overseas i bet they thought his head wasn't in it. Goaltending was a issue but the answer wasn't on the roster.

Take it as a learning opportunity and move on.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Coaching for job security. He has no contract, he's not going to stick his neck out playing rookies in must win games, same with Smith. He probably realizes that Kosk is not any kind of upgrade and part of it is going with the guy that will both - be here next year/is a leader and the guy your GM gave a contract to.

This is his first chance to be a HC in the show and as much as we can analyze these other players maybe giving us a slight edge I doubt anyone here thinks we realistically win this series if those other minor decisions are made. He already tossed our deadline brassard pickup, he's not going to add 3-4 other rogue decisions against the way his extremely veteran GM built the team.

I know it does suck, because you want your coach to maximize the roster and do whatever it takes to win, but if it doesn't work out and he doesn't get extended then he potentially torpedoes his career on long shot galaxy brain coaching decisions, then his family has to live with that. Not us. A coaching extension sets this guy up and that's what he's worked his whole life for, there will be other playoff opportunities. I think he will get extended, but how much of that is the regular season bump and going two rounds, and how much of that is playing ball with his GM? If he doesn't get extended, at least he coached the team in a way he can explain in job interviews to the dinosaurs of the league.

The entire NHL system in an archaic OBC, we know that from watching our org for the last decade. I have trouble blaming a rookie interim HC for not going 'balls out play all the rookies' in do or die playoff games. At the end of the day, the McDavids, Keiths, Smiths, and Nurses of the team are the ones going to go into the year end GM interview and say - bring this guy back next year. That's how he gets rehired. If playing them more than he should have when they were failing accomplishes that, then so be it.

Do I find it a bit disappointing, yes. But the reality is you have to play the political games. He's not a Barry Trotz where he can come in and tell players to do it his way or hit the bricks, he doesn't have that kind of juice yet.
Good post. Nice to get other well formulated views like this. What sticks with me though is that theres some problems with even the above theory. If the object is playing it safe and not upsetting apple cart then its odd, real odd, that veteran Brassard, who the GM just went out and got wasn't used. Played a few games and was parked. Played one playoff game and was parked. Its odd as well that the other TDL, Kulak, had his minutes reduced in multiple playoff games despite him being one of our more reliable defenders. It was also odd that Russel wasn't inserted more as Bouchard was not yet ready and was struggling throughout the playoffs in own end or in ill advised pinches.

Not everything adds up to playing it safe. The Malone call up is also bizarre. This being done before multiple players that Holland acquired didn't even see the ice in playoffs. That wasn't playing it safe. That was Woody rewarding the guy that he knew. Instead of the players that Holland obtained.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Woody yesterday in pregame availability;

"We have so many players within the org we can put in, that can play, we will make the right player decisions"

Puts in Brad Malone (who?) the last 2 games and in OT on the game winner. Never calls up Nemo who would have helped, didn't play Russel much who would have helped. Put in Holloway to embarrass the kid giving him only 3mins and stapling him to the bench. Even while Oilers forwards are dropping like flies. Starts Mike Smith. Never calls up Skinner in reg season or playoffs.

"But we we will make the right player decisions" Well you didn't.

Reactions: Messrules11

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Woody yesterday in pregame availability;

"We have so many players within the org we can put in, that can play, we will make the right player decisions"

Puts in Brad Malone (who?) the last 2 games and in OT on the game winner. Never calls up Nemo who would have helped, didn't play Russel much who would have helped. Put in Holloway to embarrass the kid giving him only 3mins and stapling him to the bench. Even while Oilers forwards are dropping like flies. Starts Mike Smith. Never calls up Skinner in reg season or playoffs.

"But we we will make the right player decisions" Well you didn't.

Avs would have skated circles around Nemo. I love the player, andI wish we got to see him crush some Flames, but there's no reason for him to be playing against the Avs in the playoffs.

Holloway was very likely nervous. Can you imagine your 1st NHL game being a WCF elimination game, with the crowd going crazy the whole time? Though that's why personally I would have had simply sooner.

Overall, I'm not complaining about Woody. The guy not only resurrected our regular season but brought us closer to the cup than we have been since '06. And as a Caps fan and someone who has followed Trotz closely, I honestly think Woody's a better fit on this team.

Reactions: oilers'72 and TB12

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I’d give Woody a pass right up to the Colorado series. He went absolutely brain dead these last 4 games and we lost every one. If Trotz is available you definitely give him an interview.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Interviewing the best candidate available, the best coach in the world, if, he's available, would be insulting? I don't get that, and its that kind of thinking that had the team hire Chia, and not even go on a talent hunt, or hire Nicholson, and not even go on a talent hunt, or Hire Eakins as HC on a whim when MacT was statedly only looking for an assistant coach.

A professional diligent org interviews various people for the job, which is available, to get the best candidate possible in the position.

For this org to be thinking about optics anyway is off to me because they do a lot of things where the optics are awful. Like calling their own fans 2nd or 3rd tier.

If Trotz is available and willing you take him. He's the ready to unpack premium coach that has transformed teams quickly. We don't have a lot of time for Woody to learn the ropes and be making mistakes.
Most teams who would have had a great coach in the season would just sign him earlier. Even the Isles who fired Trotz knew who their guy was and committed to him right after, and didn't go through some search just to put on an appearance of due diligence.

Honestly, despite Trotz' reputation, I don't see the point. Woody earned the job before the playoffs even started. If there are issues, the lucky thing about Woodcroft is that he is young and has room to grow.

As for the lineup opinions, I don't know if you're right about them. As fans, I don't think any of us really know better.

Reactions: oilers'72 and ujju2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad