Player Discussion Jay Beagle

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I predict that Beagle will be far worse than everyone is expecting, and we will want to buy him out after his first season but be unable to because of his asinine bonus-laden contract.

Same.

And it will be amusing to see the pro-Benning/anti-Gaunce crowd try to spin it when this guy shows himself to be an old, softer Gaunce at 5x the price.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Same.

And it will be amusing to see the pro-Benning/anti-Gaunce crowd try to spin it when this guy shows himself to be an old, softer Gaunce at 5x the price.

Not sure where the tough player Beagle thing comes from. He had 16 PIMs last year and doesn’t hit that much.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not sure where the tough player Beagle thing comes from. He had 16 PIMs last year and doesn’t hit that much.

I don't know either but he's being sold as 'making us tougher and grittier' and 'protecting the kids'. And it's absurd.

He has no physical game at all. He's a big, slowish, high-IQ/low-event, positional defensive center.

He's had 1 fight in his career and got knocked unconscious.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Same.

i like gaunce but at the nhl level he's still an energy winger. he has showed brief signs of being more than that but he also gets hurt. no way would i pencil him in as a 4th line centre, although i hope he will be one.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I don't know either but he's being sold as 'making us tougher and grittier' and 'protecting the kids'. And it's absurd.

He has no physical game at all. He's a big, slowish, high-IQ/low-event, positional defensive center.

He's had 1 fight in his career and got knocked unconscious.
And the other guy signed is essentially an agitator. He'll start fights that a guy like Guds will have to finish (that is, if the other is healthy). More grit!

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I still can't understand the idea of signing a depth player until he's nearly 37 years old. There were only 22 regular forwards who were 35 or older last season and only 2 of them (Mackenzie and Hendricks) have never cracked 40+ points.

Or to put it another way, in 15-16 there were 23 forwards who were 32 years old like Beagle is now and who played 40+ games. 2 years later only 7 of those 22 were still in the league at age 34 and a few of those guys (Jokinen, Stajan, maybe Upshall, etc.) look like they're done. The population of 35+ year old players who can still take a regular shift in the NHL is almost exclusively made up of former top 6 players and Beagle certainly doesn't fit that bill.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
And the other guy signed is essentially an agitator. He'll start fights that a guy like Guds will have to finish (that is, if the other is healthy). More grit!

Of the 3 guys that we signed yesterday that management is hyping as 'protecting the kids':

- one had 16 PIM last year and was knocked out in his only NHL fight.

- one had 42 PIM last year, has 3 career NHL fights and probably shouldn't fight again after major hand surgery last month.

- the other one is a Cooke/Marchand type escalator who targets star players and creates more trouble for his own skill players, and isn't remotely a 'protector'.

But then it's pretty consistent that what Jim Benning thinks a player is has nothing to do with what they really are, so nobody should be surprised.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Tyler Dellow has an article in The Athletic analyzing what he considers the mistake bad teams make in pursuing certain kinds of players in free agency. He looks at two examples: Detroit signing Green and Vancouver signing Beagle:

"One wonders what Jim Benning thinks the Canucks are likely to do next year with Beagle and what they’d be likely to do without him but with the best player available who would sign a one-year contract. I can’t really imagine that the difference is even as much as a win and yet Vancouver made a four-year commitment."

For those with a subscription:
Dellow: The futility of bad teams doing anything on July 1

Reactions: geebaan and MS

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I predict that Beagle will be far worse than everyone is expecting, and we will want to buy him out after his first season but be unable to because of his asinine bonus-laden contract.

I have a different prediction. I think - in year one, at least - Beagle will fill his roll admirably. The real problem that is going to raise the ire of Canuck faithful, myself included, is that his success there will mean the return of the "Sutter in an offensive role" experiment which will be predictably terrible to behold.

Reactions: lindgren

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Btw, for those saying Beagle will help 'protect' Pettersson and Boeser, he hasn't had a fight since the 11/12 season.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
The thing about Sutter is he is our 2nd C by default. We don't have the assets to trade to get a legit #2 C and we didn't chase someone on the FA market, which I agreed with. It's not a perfect situation at all, but it is way better than some alternatives.

DekeyPete

Dec 18, 2002
pg bc
He'll mentor a couple young centers on faceoff techniques , provide much needed leadership in the dressing room, and might even contribute on the ice by keeping the puck out of our net. I'm fine with it. It is what it is. I don't exect miracles for our bottom feeding team. Now let's try hard and land the other Hughes!

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Same.

Clearly this is what you and your ilk are hoping. Sad really...

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Gaunce - Beagle on the 4th line is fine I suppose

You sprinkle a LW Leipsic ... C/RW Schaller, Kero on to the Gaunce-Beagle combination .. you get to assign & rotate a player at the faceoff start position

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I have a different prediction. I think - in year one, at least - Beagle will fill his roll admirably. The real problem that is going to raise the ire of Canuck faithful, myself included, is that his success there will mean the return of the "Sutter in an offensive role" experiment which will be predictably terrible to behold.
If that happens, I'm fairly sure Beagle will be heavily exposed. This is a guy who played behind Kuznetsov, Backstrom and Eller in Washington. If he gets more heavily relied upon here, and planted to the role that Sutter player last year with significantly more minutes and responsibility than he has had previously, I think it's safe to say he's going struggle and look bad. And then the casual fans will be all flabbergasted as to why he is playing so much worse than he did in Cup finals, not understanding a major shift in role and deployment.

Reactions: MS

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
On what's a shoe-in to be the league's worst team.

I could see us finishing around 25th. The Sedins weren't particularly good players last yr. If we get above average results on special teams and goaltending is ok, we'll be a similar team. Not saying 31st would be surprising, just think 24th is about as likely.

Reactions: Nomobo

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Btw, for those saying Beagle will help 'protect' Pettersson and Boeser, he hasn't had a fight since the 11/12 season.

Think it's more take d zone faceoffs penalty kill play tough minutes and guys who do that well are huge factors now it's wait see how well it works.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Gaunce - Beagle on the 4th line is fine I suppose

You sprinkle a LW Leipsic ... C/RW Schaller, Kero on to the Gaunce-Beagle combination .. you get to assign & rotate a player at the faceoff start position

Unless the Canucks make some moves before the start of the season, or they begin with injuries, there's currently no room for Leipsic and certainly not Kero in the starting line-up.

Agent007

Mar 22, 2006
Sounds like he is going to be a $2m dead cap space hit if and when they eventually send him down to the minors.

I wonder how much dead cap space we will have in 2-3 years with all these deals for bottom 6 plugs.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Sounds like he is going to be a $2m dead cap space hit if and when they eventually send him down to the minors.

I wonder how much dead cap space we will have in 2-3 years with all these deals for bottom 6 plugs.

We're going to need every retained salary slot possible over the next 5 years.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
If that happens, I'm fairly sure Beagle will be heavily exposed. This is a guy who played behind Kuznetsov, Backstrom and Eller in Washington. If he gets more heavily relied upon here, and planted to the role that Sutter player last year with significantly more minutes and responsibility than he has had previously, I think it's safe to say he's going struggle and look bad. And then the casual fans will be all flabbergasted as to why he is playing so much worse than he did in Cup finals, not understanding a major shift in role and deployment.

I actually just noticed that he had the worst shot differential in the entire league last season.

This is quite the dream team Jim is assembling.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
beagle's agent says canucks were in the mix with 8-9 teams. not sure what "considered" means.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Not an effin chance

so a third of the NHL was considering signing Beagle for 4 years, while younger better centers got less term.
His agent bluffed Benning with fake offers.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2