Confirmed with Link: Jason Zucker Re-Signs 5 years $5.5m AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
id play Nino 3rd line RW in this scenario just because Parise/Koivu/Coyle have had solid chemistry in the past.

There is something to be said for having 2 younger sets of legs with each of the older guys:

Zucker - Staal - Granlund
Nino - Koivu - Kunin (if healthy)
Parise - Eriksson Ek - Coyle

Younger players each get insulated by 2 veterans, every plays their correct side, can still play Koivu's line in a defensive role and feel ok about it. I'd want both Kunin and Greenway in Iowa, but it's pretty clear right now that one of them is going to be up.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
$5.5 x 5 is where I had Zucker for my estimates. I would have preferred less term.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
There is something to be said for having 2 younger sets of legs with each of the older guys:

Zucker - Staal - Granlund
Nino - Koivu - Kunin (if healthy)
Parise - Eriksson Ek - Coyle

Younger players each get insulated by 2 veterans, every plays their correct side, can still play Koivu's line in a defensive role and feel ok about it. I'd want both Kunin and Greenway in Iowa, but it's pretty clear right now that one of them is going to be up.

I dont hate that lineup by any means. I do agree id like to see Kunin and Greenway actually dominate in Iowa a bit. Kunin looked good but didnt flash dominance quite yet.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
$5.5 x 5 is where I had Zucker for my estimates. I would have preferred less term.

Not sure why. 38 year old Patrick Marleau is making 6.25 this season and next still. I do think Zucker probably just had a career year but 55-60 points seems safe and he's only 26. I think he signed a hometown discount deal here. Obviously there will be better bargains in this league but it's fair and if he hits 40 we'll jump for joy.

3 points in 16 playoffs games is disgraceful but arbitrators look at more than that, he knows it, and those have been team-wise failures.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
Love it. I’d say Fenton did well between this signing and Dumba’s.

11.5 million combined for the next 5 years is damn good. Gives us some wiggle room in the future.
The Wild have their most dynamic players locked up for 5 more years at reasonable rates. I see nothing bad here

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
Zucker is the definition of dynamic.

The adjective I'd choose for Granlund would be ... smart.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Yep it's good to see that our young core that we drafted and or traded for are being kept on the team. There's not really anything else to do at the moment. Just hope they improve and stay healthy. Hopefully they can have a sort of 'everything goes right' run in the next two years. Keep drafting 1st and 2nd rounders, keep drafting smart players later in the draft, wait for Kaprizov, and just hope that we can kind of make something happen.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Not sure why. 38 year old Patrick Marleau is making 6.25 this season and next still. I do think Zucker probably just had a career year but 55-60 points seems safe and he's only 26. I think he signed a hometown discount deal here. Obviously there will be better bargains in this league but it's fair and if he hits 40 we'll jump for joy.

3 points in 16 playoffs games is disgraceful but arbitrators look at more than that, he knows it, and those have been team-wise failures.

I just think Zucker is a 1 trick pony (speed) and average at everything else. I don't think he's going to have a long "prime." I hope he proves me wrong and this turns out to be a great signing.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think the term is great for the team, so-so for Zucker...he'll be fine.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I just think Zucker is a 1 trick pony (speed) and average at everything else. I don't think he's going to have a long "prime." I hope he proves me wrong and this turns out to be a great signing.
His ability to shoot and score is well above average, his forechecking is very good, and he is an underrated passer. I also think he has a decent hockey IQ...he meshes very well with linemates. He also isn't just a fast skater, but a good skater, and is able to carry the puck at full speed. He and Skinner are two of the best at doing Mohawks in the NHL.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
His ability to shoot and score is well above average, his forechecking is very good, and he is an underrated passer. I also think he has a decent hockey IQ...he meshes very well with linemates. He also isn't just a fast skater, but a good skater, and is able to carry the puck at full speed. He and Skinner are two of the best at doing Mohawks in the NHL.

I'd really like to see what Zucker's s% is if breakaways weren't included, and what his s% on breakaways even is. He seems to get a lot of breakaways, but doesn't score as often as he should if he was a high quality shooter. More of a curiosity thing, than trying to read anything into it.

I don't think his passing is anything special. When he plays like Parise on the forecheck it's great, but it's not consistent thing.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dynamic - energetic, forceful, exciting, ability to go from slow to fast quickly( my words).

If that isn't Zucker, then I don't know what is. Granlund is a different type player. He will never generate the same amount of breakaways, get in the forecheck as quickly, and is unlikely to have as good of a shot.
I don't see the problem in having both types of player on the team:huh:. Zucker was the best player on the ice many times for us last year, and is one of those "shot in the arm" guys who can get the team going. he is, essentially, the forward version of Dumba.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Zucker is the definition of dynamic.

The adjective I'd choose for Granlund would be ... smart.
Dynamic means unpredictable, can do multiple things when the puck is on their stick...

Zucker is a speed guy. If he doesn't beat you with speed, he's not going to beat you.

Granlund can beat you in multiple ways, and you don't know what he's going to do when he's coming at you... is he going to stick handle around you? Is he going to pass it through a space you thought you closed but he sees an opening? Is he going to shoot?

That's dynamic... not static.

Another way to describe a dynamic player, is a player who is a game changer... that is also Granlund and Dumba on our team. Players who have the ability to take over and change the game itself. We've seen both players do so multiple times.

I've never seen Zucker take over a game like that. Sure, I've seen him make a couple key plays in games that make an impact, but Granlund and Dumba have both dominated entire games.

Last edited:

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I have never liked Coyle with Parise. Coyle is better when he feels he needsto take on a leadership role on his line.

I loved coyle staal Nino line combo but idk if that will happen again. I think coyle just needs to be more selfish and shoot the dude is good just seems to be indecisive.

Reactions: 2Pair

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Nonsense. Zucker has good moves, can shoot, and his Mohawk at the Blue line is as good as it gets.That isn't just speed..that's skating technique, something at which he excels. He also wins pucks in corners.

Granlund can have all the moves in the world, but he's not going to outskate many players on a break. He needs to be a great passer because of his lack of speed and strength. His lack of skating dynamics(ability to go from slow to fast) limits his game. What is special about him is his ability to handle the puck, and his vision.

Zucker reminds me of Yvan Cournoyer. Lots to like about that.

If you haven't seen Zucker take over a game then I don't know where you were last year.

Reactions: Monkeypox

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
It’s an NHL caliber shot. It ain’t Kucherov or anything, but it’s better than a lot.

I think his shooting % bears this out. It will be interesting to see if he can maintain that 14% range because I agree with Wabit that he gets lots of high-danger chances and could probably finish even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad