Confirmed with Link: Jason Zucker Re-Signs 5 years $5.5m AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Nonsense. Zucker has good moves, can shoot, and his Mohawk at the Blue line is as good as it gets.That isn't just speed..that's skating technique, something at which he excels. He also wins pucks in corners.

Granlund can have all the moves in the world, but he's not going to outskate many players on a break. He needs to be a great passer because of his lack of speed and strength. His lack of skating dynamics(ability to go from slow to fast) limits his game. What is special about him is his ability to handle the puck, and his vision.

Zucker reminds me of Yvan Cournoyer. Lots to like about that.

If you haven't seen Zucker take over a game then I don't know where you were last year.
Gaborik was the fastest skater I've ever seen live... very dynamic player, but the breakaway was his lowest of his scoring chances. He scored on very few of them actually. What made him dynamic was that he could handle the puck so well and shoot itin so many ways from so many locations, with a Joe Sakic like release.

Granlund is dynamic not because of any one thing, but because of all of them combined creating situations like this where defenders are clearly left flat footed because they don't know what's going to happen...

THAT is dynamic personified.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Zucker's speed and skill changes the way the other team's defence plays when he is on the ice. I also like his feistiness. He takes the odd stupid penalty, but you never have to worry about Zucker having a pulse out there, unlike say, Coyle. Granlund tried playing that way in a doomed attempt to become a Yeobot, but he just isn't that kind of player.

At this point we are arguing semantics. No point in going any further...especially because I'm right.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Zucker's speed and skill changes the way the other team's defence plays when he is on the ice. I also like his feistiness. He takes the odd stupid penalty, but you never have to worry about Zucker having a pulse out there, unlike say, Coyle. Granlund tried playing that way in a doomed attempt to become a Yeobot, but he just isn't that kind of player.

At this point we are arguing semantics. No point in going any further...especially because I'm right.
Nuh-uh! I'm right!

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
TkH9j.gif

(In case you didn't get it... Artoo!)

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Gaborik was the fastest skater I've ever seen live... very dynamic player, but the breakaway was his lowest of his scoring chances. He scored on very few of them actually. What made him dynamic was that he could handle the puck so well and shoot itin so many ways from so many locations, with a Joe Sakic like release.

Granlund is dynamic not because of any one thing, but because of all of them combined creating situations like this where defenders are clearly left flat footed because they don't know what's going to happen...

I agree with both your Gaborik and Granlund assessments. But, this type of highlight goal is not typical for Granlund and it should be noted that this was a 3-3 goal. Granlund doesn't have very good breakaway speed so he needs to rely on his creativity and sneakiness.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I agree with both your Gaborik and Granlund assessments. But, this type of highlight goal is not typical for Granlund and it should be noted that this was a 3-3 goal. Granlund doesn't have very good breakaway speed so he needs to rely on his creativity and sneakiness.
That's one of my bigger knocks on Granlund, is he can do this type of stuff but he so rarely does. He's generally more conservative in taking guys on, and where the takes risks is with his passing. If he had a side to his game where he picks his head up and drives the net more instead of often choosing to pass he could be a one man highlight real.

Reactions: a79krgm

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Love the signing and he is more than worth it IMO. He is the only player with a "shoot first" mentality on this team 90% of the time.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Never said it was a typical goal for Granlund, just that his dynamic ability is what made that goal possible. The defenders know he could attack in multiple ways, and they were caught flat footed because they were in a state of indecision.

And yes, I know that was 3 on 3 as well, that doesn't take away it's value as an example.

His dynamic ability also allows him to do this...

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Fair deal, was hoping the Wild could walk away from both Zucker and Dumbas deals clear winners but we just don't ever seem to have that type of leverage.

Now that the roster is fairly set... my only question is how serious was Bruce when he stated he wanted Coyle potentially back at center this season?

Parise - Staal - Granlund
Zucker - Coyle - Nino
Ek - Koivu - Anas/Kunin/Greenway

?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see how they can't play Ek at C. It would mess up his head to shift him back and forth between positions...we've done that enough with Coyle, let's not do it with him.

Reactions: grN1g

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Fair deal, was hoping the Wild could walk away from both Zucker and Dumbas deals clear winners but we just don't ever seem to have that type of leverage.
I wouldn't read that far into it. Wild have done well with their RFAs. The timing and term of extending certain players are where our mgmt dropped the ball in the past. Dumba was a good gamble IMO and Zucker was probably a little discounted because of his ties to the city at this point.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
57 I can see that. I do however see the value in having Bruce be able to tell Ek to focus more on offense and fill in for faceoffs, and smart enough to be on top of covering high if his center is low.

I guess i just dont buy into the whole swap back and forth thing from wing to center. Feel like we should get more out of him if we tell him to not let his offense development slip because hes so worried about being more focused on defense every shift. Like Koivu for example. He never really takes a risk and never cheats. Thats great and all but i dont want to develop our young players thinking that way and being scared to read offensive plays and make the reward play vs the safe play.

Feel like the Coyle example is more of Charlie just is what he is and the whole back and forth at center thing didn't really hurt anything with his development.

Last edited:

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014

I really don't understand this mentality. The way this is written, and many of the appraisals of deals on the main board, it seems that the fans want the management to pay their players as little as possible. Personally, I am a fan of the players, like to see them excel and they should get compensated accordingly. Pay the players what they're worth (i.e. fair deals). Don't try to screw them over so you can have more cap room.

Reactions: FVM and Drewcifer

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
I really don't understand this mentality. The way this is written, and many of the appraisals of deals on the main board, it seems that the fans want the management to pay their players as little as possible. Personally, I am a fan of the players, like to see them excel and they should get compensated accordingly. Pay the players what they're worth (i.e. fair deals). Don't try to screw them over so you can have more cap room.

We had this wiener on the team last year that was right up your alley.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011

I don't really give a shit what someone thinks is "dynamic". Is it speed? Is it flair?
Granlund can make unbelievable plays out of nowhere and I think that makes him pretty dynamic. We've all seen the the absurd passes that he can do and they're usually right on tape, too.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Dynamic to me is about making things happen. Fits both Zucker and Granlund. And guess what...even more so when they play together.

Reactions: FVM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad