Value of: Jason Spezza + 13th OVR Pick

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
What would Dallas be looking for in return for spezza and the 13th OVR Pick?
I'd do

Spezza (7.5 x 1) + 13

for

Martin (2.5 x 2) + 25

I know some Leafs fans will say they need the cap but the Leafs won't make a play on JT or Carlson and Matthews/Marner won't re-up until next summer.

Frees up enough cap for the Stars to make a play on one of the many offensive UFA's this year (JVR?)

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Yea ok! Spezza has averaged 50+ points over is past 5 seasons and he is all of a sudden garbage? Nobody is saying he is going to return a hefty return by any means but to say "Nobody wants him" is a load of crap. Get your head out of the sand.
Resorting to a 5 year average for a 35 year old player to pump his value is the load of crap. Lol

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
What would Dallas be looking for in return for spezza and the 13th OVR Pick?
We aren't desperate to move his salary and in fact management seems to think there might actually be a market for Spezza at a retained rate if we chose to trade him. However it kind of sounds like Monty wants a crack at unHitching Spezza to see if we can he him back to who he was before this season.

So to every non Dallas fan in this thread... Dallas will not put these 2 in a trade unless it's seen as a package that is more valuable than the 13th pick alone because we aren't in a crush were we need to pay to move Spezza

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Nobody wants Spezza
Dallas wants Spezza because until Hitchcock killed the creativity for damn near every stars forward he was a 60 point 2C for us. His underlying numbers still suggest he should be racking up assists if not for playing with a couple plugs in a system that is about as anti Spezza as possible.

Is he over paid? Yes but who cares we don't need his cap hit this year

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
23g/76pts/-30 combined the last 2 seasons. 60 is a very lofty goal.
I think 40-50 is a safer target, but still 7.5 is a lot for a guy who played like a 1mil dollar player last year

Why the he'll are you wrapping his Hitch year with his performance 2 years ago. He scored 50 actual points and was scoring at a 60 point pace 2 years ago. That is very far from bad. He had a rough year last year but it's not nearly as bad if you bother to look at more than the points...

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Resorting to a 5 year average for a 35 year old player to pump his value is the load of crap. Lol
Not it is not, so by your comment i guess Pacioretty is not worth much since he had a bad season this past year. You have to look at a sample size not just the most recent season.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I think Blues would be interested in Spezza with salary retained. I doubt Dallas trades him within the division in the offseason. At the TDL, all bets are off.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Dallas doesn't need the cap space as they have over 15M. Like others said Spezza should have a better season this season anyways

At least if Dallas struggles next year they should be able to get something decent for him at the deadline. Assuming he has a better season

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Had a borderline hall of fame career and I think he bounces back.

I agree with this. Let the season finish out, and draft conclude for teams to figure out their roster for next season. Spezza will be needed somewhere and I can see em bouncing back as well.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Had a borderline hall of fame career and I think he bounces back.

Dead cat bounce? I doubt that, even.

Here's his career trajectory:

crash22.jpg

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I'd do

Spezza (7.5 x 1) + 13

for

Martin (2.5 x 2) + 25

I know some Leafs fans will say they need the cap but the Leafs won't make a play on JT or Carlson and Matthews/Marner won't re-up until next summer.

Frees up enough cap for the Stars to make a play on one of the many offensive UFA's this year (JVR?)
Good Lord that is bad. Dallas doesn't need to pay to move Spezza. Even with his bad year he is still at worst double the player Martin is

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I'd do

Spezza (7.5 x 1) + 13

for

Martin (2.5 x 2) + 25

Even if Dallas was desperate to get rid of Spezza they wouldn't do this deal in a million years.

2.5/2 is the exact same cost as a Spezza buyout and they wouldn't have to drop 12 spots in the first round.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Tanev for 13th OA+Spezza+2nd 2019

Last year it was Tanev for 3rd overall and now it's for 13th + a 2nd. Can I just wait 1 more year and get him for a late first/early second?

Realistically Dallas has no need to add a defensemen. At least they shouldn't be paying the 13th pick for a D when they much more pressing needs

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
This past season his shooting percentage was less than half his career average and the worst of his career. If he'd shot the same percentage as the year before (still less than career average) he'd have had almost 20 goals and almost 40 points despite not playing with anyone that could get him many assists. I think there's a good chance he can still score 50 points in a suitable role for him.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Not interested in paying anyone to take Spezza. I'm not concerned about his situation at all. If he bounces back then great, if not then oh well. Monty is going to work with him way more than Hitchcock did thats for sure. Let's see where it goes

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Even if Dallas was desperate to get rid of Spezza they wouldn't do this deal in a million years.

2.5/2 is the exact same cost as a Spezza buyout and they wouldn't have to drop 12 spots in the first round.
If it does come to that. Martin for Spezza straight up might work. A body that can play at an NHL level that can be traded or buried for another extra mil worth of cap space may be more desirable than dead cap space.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
If it does come to that. Martin for Spezza straight up might work. A body that can play at an NHL level that can be traded or buried for another extra mil worth of cap space may be more desirable than dead cap space.

I guess if we sent him to the AHL the cap hit would be 1.5M/2Y instead of 2.5M/2 years so that might be doable.

I'd rather keep Spezza to see if he'll bounce back. If not we can scratch him then move on next year.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Salty Sens fan here

You have no idea just how laughable that is- but what's there to be salty about anyway?

Hitchcock leaving will certainly help, but he's never been a well-conditioned athlete who is about to turn 35, and the game has passed him by.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd do

Spezza (7.5 x 1) + 13

for

Martin (2.5 x 2) + 25

I'm sure they make an offer on both guys because every team will and if a team doesn't at least try then that team has a lazy GM that needs to be fired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad