Value of: Jason Spezza + 13th OVR Pick

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Can’t see Dallas being so desperate to get rid of Spezza they’d deal a first. He only has one more year. Just ride it out or buy him out.

Reactions: Dave Karp

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It won't take a first to move Spezza. There are teams looking for quality centers and Spezza is a guy who could potentially bounce back. I think if Dallas was willing to take back a useful player on a small cap hit with perhaps a year or two extra left on their deals, they could make it work. Does Dallas really need the cap space that badly this year?

Reactions: Kcb12345

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If Islanders can't sign Tavares, I will take Spezza for a bag of pucks

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I still believe Spezza can contribute with Monty behind the bench. It was painfully obvious to anyone that watched his season that he still has stuff left in his hands and shot, he was just in the worst possible situation coach/depth-chart wise.

With only one year left on his contract + the PP help and world class hands he still possesses, he’s far from negative value in my book. I’ll be shocked and disappointed if the Stars move him.

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
It won't take a first to move Spezza. There are teams looking for quality centers and Spezza is a guy who could potentially bounce back. I think if Dallas was willing to take back a useful player on a small cap hit with perhaps a year or two extra left on their deals, they could make it work. Does Dallas really need the cap space that badly this year?
I’m not saying it would, and I’m not a Dallas fan so I’m not sure if they need the space, I should’ve formed this as a proposal thread.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com

I don't know about that, $7.5M on a almost 35 year old center who scored 26pts last season? If the Stars want someone like Stastny they are probably gonna have to pay up a decent prospect or pick to shed Spezza and his contract.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't know about that, $7.5M on a almost 35 year old center who scored 26pts last season? If the Stars want someone like Stastny they are probably gonna have to pay up a decent prospect or pick to shed Spezza and his contract.
Did you read the whole post? They'd probably have to take a smaller contract back that may have a year or so extra on the term.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Not interested in paying to move him unless we acquire a centre who's better than him. I could see him bouncing back to 45 points if we use him correctly.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Canucks could use Spezza actually. They have the cap space to take him on if they don't spend it all at the deadline. Would have to be sweetened for the Canucks because they already have a glut of forwards, but Spezza is a veteran they could use. Spezza is still good at faceoffs, too.

LordJamieBenn

Feb 26, 2015
Dallas/Pittsburgh
Leafs are in a good spot to take him on, what do the Stars need?
They need some secondary scoring, Nichushkin is supposedly coming back this year and I hope I'm wrong but I don't see him being more than a 30-40 point guy. So if they were to trade Spezza they'd need probably a few players who could play alongside Janmark on the 2nd line.

LordJamieBenn

Feb 26, 2015
Dallas/Pittsburgh
Canucks could use Spezza actually. They have the cap space to take him on if they don't spend it all at the deadline. Would have to be sweetened for the Canucks because they already have a glut of forwards, but Spezza is a veteran they could use. Spezza is still good at faceoffs, too.
The Stars wouldn't sweeten the pot whatsoever, he only has one year left on his contract and will most likely bounce back under a different coach. He didn't get along with Hitch at all and was bounced around the lineup nonstop and was playing on the 4th most of the season. I don't see him putting up crazy numbers but I don't think 50-60 points with actual 2nd line wingers is out of the realm of possibilities. I personally think they should have him ride out the last year because not having Hitch will be huge for him this season.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
They need some secondary scoring, Nichushkin is supposedly coming back this year and I hope I'm wrong but I don't see him being more than a 30-40 point guy. So if they were to trade Spezza they'd need probably a few players who could play alongside Janmark on the 2nd line.

Spezza would be a cap dump. unlikely they get anything useful back. 7.5 mil cap space to make a run at a key frey agent would be the return

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
The Stars wouldn't sweeten the pot whatsoever, he only has one year left on his contract and will most likely bounce back under a different coach. He didn't get along with Hitch at all and was bounced around the lineup nonstop and was playing on the 4th most of the season. I don't see him putting up crazy numbers but I don't think 50-60 points with actual 2nd line wingers is out of the realm of possibilities. I personally think they should have him ride out the last year because not having Hitch will be huge for him this season.

23g/76pts/-30 combined the last 2 seasons. 60 is a very lofty goal.
I think 40-50 is a safer target, but still 7.5 is a lot for a guy who played like a 1mil dollar player last year

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

LordJamieBenn

Feb 26, 2015
Dallas/Pittsburgh
Spezza would be a cap dump. unlikely they get anything useful back. 7.5 mil cap space to make a run at a key frey agent would be the return
That's the thing though, they have plenty of cap space to fill their needs. Getting Spezza's contract off the books gives them more to work with but it's not necessary for their needs. I can assure if he gets traded it won't be get just get rid of his contract, it would be an actual hockey trade with an actual asset coming back to Dallas. If that happens that's when the Stars will actually sweeten the pot.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
That's the thing though, they have plenty of cap space to fill their needs. Getting Spezza's contract off the books gives them more to work with but it's not necessary for their needs. I can assure if he gets traded it won't be get just get rid of his contract, it would be an actual hockey trade with an actual asset coming back to Dallas. If that happens that's when the Stars will actually sweeten the pot.

i dont see another team kicking in much for a 7.5mil C coming off an awful 26pt season to be honest.
cap space is just too valuable these days. If the stars actually view him as an asset with solid value, i think other teams politely decline and he stays in dallas.

I could see the leafs with a bit of interest if Tavares/Thornton fall through, and they decide to wait a year to move Nylander to C. They could take his whole cap hit too, but the offer would be something like Leivo + conditional 3rd that can become a 2nd. or something like that

LordJamieBenn

Feb 26, 2015
Dallas/Pittsburgh
23g/76pts/-30 combined the last 2 seasons. 60 is a very lofty goal.
I think 40-50 is a safer target, but still 7.5 is a lot for a guy who played like a 1mil dollar player last year
I mean 2 seasons ago he put up 50 points in 68 games, which is not bad at all for a second line centre. Last season was not good at all, but this is coming from someone who watched every Stars game last year, Hitch did not use him well whatsoever. He spent a majority of the season in a 4th line role playing in literally the worst situations you could of put him in during those games. Spezza's style of play doesn't fit the 4th line grinder role and that's what he was stuck in under Hitch. They have a new coach now who's has a puck possession system and not a the Hitch dump and chase. Spezza has been a phenomenal offensive player his entire career and only has one year left on his contract. Once he gets put back in the right role the chances of him bouncing back are fairly high, especially if the Stars get at least one actual second line winger to play with him and Janmark. By no means am I saying he'll find his old 70+ point form but if you watched how Hitch actually used him last year you wouldn't judge him solely off his numbers from last season. Bottom line is no team is getting him so the Stars can get some more cap space for one season.

Reactions: WhatWhat

LordJamieBenn

Feb 26, 2015
Dallas/Pittsburgh
i dont see another team kicking in much for a 7.5mil C coming off an awful 26pt season to be honest.
cap space is just too valuable these days. If the stars actually view him as an asset with solid value, i think other teams politely decline and he stays in dallas.

I could see the leafs with a bit of interest if Tavares/Thornton fall through, and they decide to wait a year to move Nylander to C. They could take his whole cap hit too, but the offer would be something like Leivo + conditional 3rd that can become a 2nd. or something like that
Realistically the Stars really don't need to trade him, I personally want him to ride out the last year under Monty's system. Unless some team is overvaluing getting a 2nd/3rd line center and overpays for him I really don't see a need to trade him. I'd at least like to keep him until Hintz is ready to take over as 2nd line center as the season progresses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad