Player Discussion Jason Pominville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Played his best game of... 2 seasons(?) last night against Dallas. Probably our 2nd best forward behind Zucker.

He had lots of good games to end last year, also good games in the Playoffs.

Granny was better than Pommer last night too. 6 more mins ToI makes a big difference, and played in OT.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Game 52 and he gets his 10th goal and 30th point. He's always been a streaky scorer. So what's the expectations for his points totals now?

15 goals, and 40 points (5v5) as a 3rd liner wouldn't be a bad season. Any PK or PP points would just be icing on the cake.

Not worth the money he's being paid, but not an anchor of a player either.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Actually, if he only gets 10 more points it would be a disappointment. I can see him getting 45. Those are second line point totals, especially for a guy who isn't getting the PP time he used to. He is part of the successful puzzle that is this team. If one line gets shut down or slumps, another pops up and takes it's place.

I had lost hope of him ever getting back to relevance as a player, but he is showing he still has something left. A smart vet like him can be a real asset to a team.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Getting Poms back in the swing of things would be like picking up a player at the TDL for free. That's how ineffective he was and how important it would be should he continue progressing in the right direction.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Actually, if he only gets 10 more points it would be a disappointment. I can see him getting 45. Those are second line point totals, especially for a guy who isn't getting the PP time he used to. He is part of the successful puzzle that is this team. If one line gets shut down or slumps, another pops up and takes it's place.

I had lost hope of him ever getting back to relevance as a player, but he is showing he still has something left. A smart vet like him can be a real asset to a team.

~45p is about what I was thinking with PPP included. His PP time is so limited/questionable I went 5v5 points. 50p would be top end of points for him playing on the 3rd line, but he'd have to stay hot.

He's at 27p 5v5 now, so we're in the same ballpark.

Getting Poms back in the swing of things would be like picking up a player at the TDL for free. That's how ineffective he was and how important it would be should he continue progressing in the right direction.

What's nice is he got hot after their win streak ended. He added almost nothing for points during the streak.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Players are always streaking one way or another Very nice that they are taking turns this year. Many saviors, not just one or two.

Before this season I was almost ready to give up with DJ Pomenade, Zugar Jay, Grand Master Mighail, Kap K, Paradise Z.. at least in the big picture.

I'm so glad I'm wrong in most things in this life :D

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Pominville's two year shooting percentage funk finally over?!?!?! Upto 9% and climbing. Let's hope he can maintain that atleast a minimum the rest of the way.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Pommer has 25 5v5 points. 29th in league for FWDs; tied with Seguin, Kessel, Panarin, Carter, and J. Williams. According to http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com

It's not Zucker type numbers, but still pretty good overall.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Now has 33 points in 54 games. For reference, Eberle has 32 points in 56 games.

Poms is not only scoring, but looking better than I've seen him for 3 years. When he is on, he is a player that has excellent decision making offensively. Not too bad defensively, either, though he'll never be a stalwart in that area.

I thought he was completely done. Nice to be proven wrong. I don't know if he just feels better physically, or he has made adjustments to his game that have made him be effective once again.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yah, me too, but that's true of most forwards playing the point. They just aren't used to being there. Just like Dmen aen't very good below the Red line in the Ozone. Lack of training and familiarity in both cases.

MoeTheHobo

Jan 24, 2017
Didn't Pominville have a similar season last year? I remember him struggling to find the net but was one of our better players in the second half

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Didn't Pominville have a similar season last year? I remember him struggling to find the net but was one of our better players in the second half

He caught fire when he was played with Haula and Nino, and was good in the PO's last year. This year is a different level of good, though.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

He started off the season okay for points; he just couldn't buy a goal; 19p in 33 games to start the year. Huge slump of 2p in 23 games between Xmas and Yeo firing. 15p in 19 games to end the year.

This year he's had a couple of 8 game stretches with only a point or two, but he was on a line with some other ice cold players Parise and/or Haula.

The biggest difference seems to be his hands are back this year. His passes are consistently cleaner, he's not missing the net every other shot, he's hitting posts or just missing the corners.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
This thread's a rollercoaster of emotions. :laugh:

1. Universal happiness post-signing
  2. Hoping he'll waive his NMC
  3. NHL's 1st Start of the week

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
We're pretty lucky he's expansion draft protected, right guys? :sarcasm: :laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad