Player Discussion Jason Pominville

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Don't look now, but Poms is tied for 34th in points for RW'ers. That makes him a second liner, if you go by points. He's not physical, and he's not a great defensive player, but he's OK( used on the PK now), and he's smart. He also is very durable.

I know he's not what he once was, but is it possible that he is now underrated, and not the drag on the team he is made out to be? I've said he's been an average third liner...maybe I've been spoiled by the play of the team.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Don't look now, but Poms is tied for 34th in points for RW'ers. That makes him a second liner, if you go by points. He's not physical, and he's not a great defensive player, but he's OK( used on the PK now), and he's smart. He also is very durable.

I know he's not what he once was, but is it possible that he is now underrated, and not the drag on the team he is made out to be? I've said he's been an average third liner...maybe I've been spoiled by the play of the team.

True, average 3rd lines don't score at a 0.5 PPG and provide good defense while shooting only 6.5%. That's average 2nd line production with projected 40ish points and that shooting % should also pick up.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Actually he didn't get his contract for lucky secondary assists but for goalscoring.
And in goals he ranks around 60th place for RW.
The Wild being a high scoring (sounds crazy, right?) he is a 3rd liner. An overpaid one.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Actually he didn't get his contract for lucky secondary assists but for goalscoring.
And in goals he ranks around 60th place for RW.
The Wild being a high scoring (sounds crazy, right?) he is a 3rd liner. An overpaid one.

Nobody is disagreeing that Pommer is overpaid, but he produces points like a 2nd liner.

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I hope Pominville's production doesn't make him (or his agent) to think he is worth a protection slot. Wouldn't want to buy out his contract

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
A second liner on a low scoring team...sure. not the team that leads the league in goals.

Before I say my point, I want to say that Pominville is vastly overpaid for what he brings at this point in his career. He's paid like a complimentary 1st liner, and that is something he no longer is.

That said, I think someone could make a strong argument that this team is as high scoring as it is because they're able to put someone like Pominville in the bottom 6. We don't have anyone even at a point per game right now, yet we're one of the highest scoring teams in the league. Typically teams that score as much as the Wild are right now have at least one, often times multiple point per game players, so the fact that we're still scoring so much speaks to our teams depth, and Pominville is great as a depth player.

It's semantics, but if he's producing like a 2nd liner, I think it's fair to call him one, even though he's on our 3rd line. You could argue that he wouldn't put these numbers up elsewhere, but you don't know who his line-mates would be, or what exactly his utilization would look like, so maybe he wouldn't. Or maybe he would. All I really know for sure is that I'm glad we can put him on our 3rd line and have that line produce like it is!

yes!
yes!

Not worth buying out unless he won't waive.
100% agree.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Every time he's in the top 6 this year, he looks terrible...he's not a second liner, but he's better than a typical 3rd and 4th liner.

He excels against weak competition is all.

Yes, we are deep in scoring, that is obvious...we lead the league with 6 players with at least 30 points. One more player is just a point shy... (Suter has 29pts)

I'm happy with Pominville's play in the bottom 6, but he still is no 2nd line player.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Every time he's in the top 6 this year, he looks terrible...he's not a second liner, but he's better than a typical 3rd and 4th liner.

He excels against weak competition is all.

Yes, we are deep in scoring, that is obvious...we lead the league with 6 players with at least 30 points. One more player is just a point shy... (Suter has 29pts)

I'm happy with Pominville's play in the bottom 6, but he still is no 2nd line player.

He's in an odd situation. He's been up and down the lineup, but usually he's on a line with Parise or Haula. As soon as he gets away from them his play is better.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yeah just looked it up. Really unortuante cause we're definitely going to need space with the way Nino and Granny are playing.

That's why it was pretty imperative that Scandella's $4m was taken in the expo draft; Zucker or Dumba's $2m does very little for us financially, aside from losing someone that we really don't want to.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Until you sign a guy to replace him.

That would be a league min for the $900k savings. Kemps is ~$1.5m this year. Wild are going to have to sign a qualified goalie before the expansion draft (Kemps/Stalock) to meet the draft requirements (or expose Dub).

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Pommer is in the doghouse. Last few games his butt is stapled to the bench for any mistake.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

Yeah, I noticed that. Weak pass/ giveaway by Poms, at a time when you can't do that. The downside to offensive creativity at the other team's Blueline...if the pass isn't there you dump it in.

Certainly don't want to make Poms the scapegoat....plenty of blame to go around.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Way to go, Poms! Those shots on both your goals were BA!

Last edited:

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
From the STRIB

Boudreau on Pominville, who has 10 points in his past 10 games and six in his past four: “I thought this was his best game in awhile. His minutes were down a little bit the last few games bit he was still picking up points. But today he was pretty solid everywhere.â€

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Played his best game of... 2 seasons(?) last night against Dallas. Probably our 2nd best forward behind Zucker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad