Signing(s): Jason Heyward signs with the Cubs (8 years/184 M)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Honest question, who was the last WS winner to have been the favorite coming out of spring training? Not trolling, I just can't remember who...Yanks in '09?

Giants in 2011, 2013, 2015. Especially the latter two, since they had won multiple titles by that point.

Lot of people thought the Red Sox were going to win it all after signing Crawford and trading for Gonzo in 2010.

Royals this year would have been pretty close. They would have been AL favorites, although the Nationals were the overall favorites.

If they had kept Shields, yes, but everyone thought they'd regress without him.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
i don't think you understood that question as the giants didn't win in any of those years but were the defending champions.

i'd say that the last one i can think of off the top of my head was the 1999 or 2000 yankees.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Good lord. @BestFansStLouis is awful.
Hahaha.

> @BestFansStLouis

get-a-brain-morans.jpg

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I hope this is sarcasm, or you have amnesia and don't know who Mike Trout or Bryce Harper are.

I meant defensively. Heyward has more than double the number of runs saved of the next closest RF and the only player in baseball with more runs saved is Andrelton Simmons.

Obviously not in terms of overall player.

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
I think the question was 'when was the last time a team won the world series and then were the favourite to repeat (or right up there in contention at least)?'

The question asked when the last time a team was deemed the World Series favorite in the offseason and then actually won it the following season. It's the 2009 Yankees.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I meant defensively. Heyward has more than double the number of runs saved of the next closest RF and the only player in baseball with more runs saved is Andrelton Simmons.

Obviously not in terms of overall player.

Huh? Kiermaier had almost twice as many as the 2nd ranked player this season.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
The question asked when the last time a team was deemed the World Series favorite in the offseason and then actually won it the following season. It's the 2009 Yankees.

Oh, I get it now. Are we going by vegas odds or just general consensus because then it's definitely 2014 Giants. Everyone was saying "it's an even numbered year" but then they did actually win it.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Let's see the breakdown on the contract first. If it's frontloaded like crazy like everyone expects and he's making 30 mil per year it's an overpayment. Plain and simple. Just because he can opt out and the Cubs piss liquid gold doesn't make it not an overpayment.
Honestly, I don't think the Cubs really care how they affect the msrket. They want to win now.

Also, a deal like this just raised the price for what their rivals will pay for Gordon, Cespedes etc.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Huh? Kiermaier had almost twice as many as the 2nd ranked player this season.

Im really bad at this.

Since Heyward entered the league, he has the second most defensive runs saved to only Simmons and double the number of runs saved of any other RF.

Regardless, the point is, he's outstanding defensively along with just okay offensively. He's getting paid the way he is in large part because of his defense.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Never really cared for this guy. Underachiever. He's atleast athletic though I guess.

He's an underachiever in the sense that he was deemed a phenom before he entered the league. He's still a very good player and makes the Cubs a better team (especially if they trade Soler for pitcher).

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
St. Louis = Alex Gordon.

The rumour mill is going crazy right now with that, he's actually a perfect fit for them IMO.

One of them will end up in SF, imo.

Hopefully.... Would love me some Gordon or Upton.

O's really like Upton and they already meet with the agent. O's, Tigers, Angels and Giants need OF.

If Angelos opens up his chequebook for once I will be shocked, considering the biggest deal he's ever handed out if 82 million for Jones and Upton is going to cost at least 100 million.

I wouldn't be shocked if they miss playoffs. Injuries happen plus they play in the best division in baseball.

Regression, sophomore slumps.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
St. Louis = Alex Gordon.

He'd have to play RF for them.

I would love for them to trade for Blackmon instead as he can play all 3 OF spots and add a speed element they will sorely lack with Heyward gone. Plus for whatever reason from the Tweets I've seen, the asking price for CarGo is insanely higher than for the other 2 OFers, but that could be nonsense. I don't want CarGo near this team anyway. I'd also like to get Cueto on a 5 year deal even if his arm scares me a bit. But they'll probably overpay for Leake's innings and end up signing Parra as a 10th OFer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad