Signing(s): Jason Heyward signs with the Cubs (8 years/184 M)

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Honest question, who was the last WS winner to have been the favorite coming out of spring training? Not trolling, I just can't remember who...Yanks in '09?

Last edited:

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
So much hype for an overrated player. Terrific defensively. Ordinary offensively.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
@BestFansStLouis is what it is. Same outpouring from every single fanbase when something like this happens.

Just other fanbases don't have the media pumping the "best fans in baseball" crap every time they are on national TV. I can't watch the Cardinals on national broadcasts, I'm surprised the Cardinals are more hated than they are because of it.

People still cry about the Red Wings using "Hockeytown" as a marketing slogan in 2015. It happens.

I'm not a Cardinals fan and there was no way I expected them to resign Heyward. That's just their modus operandi. I expect they will try to sign Alex Gordon now though.

This deal is a win-win for the Cubs. Overpaid? Maybe...but it's under 200 and there are opt out clauses.

Improves their defense(which wasn't that great), won't be relied on as the major offense guy and more importantly hurts the Cardinals.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Ordinary offensively?

He provides decent production for an outfielder. He does get on base at a good clip mostly from walks and is pretty good on the basepaths. Overall though he's nothing special at the plate. There's probably at least 15 other outfielders I'd rather have at the plate over Heyward.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
but then he's one of the best defensive players in the game so the fact that he "only" "gets on base at a decent clip" only adds to that value.

with the amount of money that teams have right now, players of heyward's caliber are not getting to free agency any more. when a team has the opportunity to add elite level anything at the cost of no assets but simply cash they're going to jump on it. heyward punches a lot of holes for teams, he can play in either right or centerfield, he has a great arm and his biggest shortcoming is that he's not a dynamo offensively. players of heyward's level cost money.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
i guess he probably still can improve his offensive game. the deal is good.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
This is nothing to the Cubs. They're loaded with money.

Best part is, he'll be 34 when the deal ends. Odds are he won't be a total and utter albatross like Pooholes.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
oh and then he can opt out at age 29 or age 30 and reenter free agency and the cubs could not be on the hook for the last of his prime.

you're signing a 26 year old as he enters his prime. but he "only gets on base at a good clip" and plays elite defense. what are the cubs thinking?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
oh and then he can opt out at age 29 or age 30 and reenter free agency and the cubs could not be on the hook for the last of his prime.

you're signing a 26 year old as he enters his prime. but he "only gets on base at a good clip" and plays elite defense. what are the cubs thinking?

Let's see the breakdown on the contract first. If it's frontloaded like crazy like everyone expects and he's making 30 mil per year it's an overpayment. Plain and simple. Just because he can opt out and the Cubs piss liquid gold doesn't make it not an overpayment.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan
Source: Jason Heyward turned down three offers higher than the $184M he took from the Cubs, including two of $200M+.

4:50pm*- 11 Dec 15

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad