Jason Botterill Discussion 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I also don't think people give Botterill enough credit for how he's handled contracts for Reinhart, Larsson, and Girgensons.

Gus and Larry were qualifying offers. Reinhart bridged is, as the others have pointed out, saving now when not needed to pay later when needed.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
You think the bridge for Reinhart was a good idea?

I mean I don't know what Reinhart was looking for on a long term deal, but right now the bridge is saving us cap space for when the Sabres don't need it/aren't using it and I don't see the Sabres getting a "better" long term deal after next season compared to the end of his ELC.

Reports were Reinhart was asking for $5.75M probably for 5 years.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I also don't think people give Botterill enough credit for how he's handled contracts for Reinhart, Larsson, and Girgensons.

Larsson and Girgensons? I can't recall too many people thinking we should give those guys long-term deals. I know I wasn't.

As for Reinhart, I disagree. I would've much rather locked in a 7- or 8-year deal that included four RFA years last summer. If he makes a modest improvement in counting numbers to around 70 pts next season, that decision is going to cost us a substantial sum of money in the short, mid and long-term.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
That 5.75 number was for a shorter contract, not one that bought UFA seasons.

Botterill's problem is that none of his moves have any semblance of cohesion or provide momentum the franchise. Everything he's done to this point is one step forward two steps back. Instead of properly identifying that Ristolainen should have been the player traded last Summer he sold off RoR which created a huge hole on the team. So what will be his next move? Likely to trade Ristolainen to patch up some of the mess he made by trading RoR. But at best you're getting a center who is 50% as valuable as RoR. He's done nothing but rob Peter to pay Paul when it comes to building the roster. Essentially turning Tim Murray's acquisitions that he over paid for into Brandon Montour, Tage Thompson and the last pick in the 1st round.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Yes, I thought it was a good idea at the time, and I still think it was a good approach. I wanted to see more out of him prior to them locking him up long term, and so did the Sabres. I have no problem with them having to pay him a little more for that privileged.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Yes, I thought it was a good idea at the time, and I still think it was a good approach. I wanted to see more out of him prior to them locking him up long term, and so did the Sabres. I have no problem with them having to pay him a little more for that privileged.

What exactly did you need to see out of him prior to this season?

Reactions: Sabre the Win

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Waiting for his counting stats to catch up with his on-ice value was always a losing proposition.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
What exactly did you need to see out of him prior to this season?

Assuming you mean 2018-19 (last season). I already noted what I thought. I understand his play in 2018/19 was very satisfying for those who wanted to skip the bridge contract, but it also validated the 'show me' and pay him later position. There is plenty of time to rehash this down the road if and when they don't have the cap space to sign Carrier as an UFA. For now, I think it's good management.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
They're going to pay him more because they weren't smart enough.
I'm not a fly on the wall if neither the Sabres management office nor Reinharts agent, but I would imagine both are pretty happy with how things turned out. Now they still need to work out a long term deal, so there is plenty of time for that to change.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm not a fly on the wall if neither the Sabres management office nor Reinharts agent, but I would imagine both are pretty happy with how things turned out. Now they still need to work out a long term deal, so there is plenty of time for that to change.

Agreed on that. It would be great if they get an extension taken care of this summer. And we can hope that it comes in as a bit of a long-term value deal too, thinking ahead to future roster construction.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
It's not that he couldn't make ANY better moves at all. It's that ANY GM in Buffalo doesn't get the same opportunities to sign better vet UFAs or undrafted FAs.

Nonsense.

Even if he did, he would have to play ALL his cards right to have a playoff contender on the ice right now. Now the exception is getting a good HC, because I think a better HC can make a bigger difference than any FA fodder signings. That's been addressed, and I'm not sure how much to criticize a Sabres GM about HC hires when no big-name guys ever seem to be banging on their door.

That's a ridiculous exception. He inherited an 80 point team whose best player was 19-20 years old at the time. Improvement was on the way by default. The only thing he had to get right was the coaching hire, and not f***ing up the roster that was in place. And he blew the coaching hire, and f***ed up the roster....

I also don't expect a Sabres GM to go full out draft and development, as if he can't ever trade a pick or prospect, just to go heavy in that route. Still though, what "quality" futures do you mean? A late 1st in the Montour trade did in fact improve the team with a PMRHD under team control. What other quality futures are you referencing? Guhle doesn't count IMO, but I'm sure you'll say he does (that's fine, opinions and all). The 2nd and 3rd in the Skinner trade doesn't count unless Skinner walks. Bellow all you want if he does...I won't be happy about it either. It's a Kane-esque trade (which I clearly hated), but for a player a I have a slightly better opinion of that didn't seem guaranteed to leave when he hit UFA...we'll see...

It's not really worth a semantics debate about the definition of quality assets, right? You know the components of all the moves Botts made, and so do I.... I really don't think listing them out serves any purpose.

Reactions: sabremike

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
If the Blues win the Cup does Botts get to ride in the parade and what does he do with Cup on his day? Asking for a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad