Jason Botterill Discussion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Its not fun getting roundabout answers, but anyone have an ideas of what Botts should have said that would have been both accurate and not alienating half of his players/staff for being bad at their jobs?

That is the biggest problem. Why are you putting yourself in that position for no reason?

I get it if you have to do something because of a trade or firing.

But how many brains does it take to know that there are no good answers to the media when your team has been in full collapse mode?

There was no upside to this media chat. Botts played this situation much like Tage Thompson attacks the nhl, a little wobbly and surprised that people might challenge him.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
That is the biggest problem. Why are you putting yourself in that position for no reason?

But how many brains does it take to know that there are no good answers to the media when your team has been in full collapse mode?

There was no upside to this media chat. Botts played this situation much like Tage Thompson attacks the nhl, a little wobbly and surprised that people might challenge him.
As others have mentioned, someone else requested it and he opened it up.

Anyway, the media (Harrington) had an episode when pegula wasn't readily available. Hiding from the media won't lead to anything good. The team's been struggling, fans have been calling for the coach to be fired. It was a matter of time before he was demanded to make an appearance.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
As others have mentioned, someone else requested it and he opened it up.

Anyway, the media (Harrington) had an episode when pegula wasn't readily available. Hiding from the media won't lead to anything good. The team's been struggling, fans have been calling for the coach to be fired. It was a matter of time before he was demanded to make an appearance.

Much like his team and coach, he made the most of his appearance.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Botterill's answers today were absurd. Just absurd. I know he has an MBA, so he's been conditioned to talk like this, but oh my god. He's mixed MBA non-speak with Sean McDermott folksy OneBuffalo non-speak and it is some of the most ridiculous, awful bullshit I've ever heard in my life. "It's a situation where we are putting ourselves in situations where we have the opportunity to compete to win games in third periods."

Oh my god. To think that this team is somehow "developing" by "being in positions to compete to win games in third periods" - when they are NOT WINNING THEM - is ridiculous and stupid. They are getting their doors blown off in third periods. They are doing nothing other than being consistently bad, and losing a lot. But, I guess, congrats on being tied going into the third period, guys! Nevermind that you lost 6-2. It was close after the 2nd intermission! Tage Thompson learned a lot from that!

I mean, the biggest problem is that Botterill basically gave off the vibe that, "This is all part of the plan. It's supposed to be like this." That's what the execrable Bills management sounds like. It's insulting. Do these people think we're that stupid? I guess they do.

The perpetual rebuild. Never question it.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Who are all the guys developing in Rochester?

Because by my eye, the only realistic nhl guys are Asplund, Nylander, Olofsson, Guhle and Borgen.

Olofsson is the only one who has looked like a stud all year.

I hope they all turn out, but experience says we would be lucky if one or two guys become solid nhlers out of that group.
Guys are still going to be migrating to Roch like ukko and guys from last years draft plus 3 more first rounders next year. He wants to fill the pipeline and that takes time. It should have been done already but Murray thought otherwise.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Botts has lost the plot. No longer supporting him if he is going to keep the baffoon and already sat on his hands for a month when he should have made his moves.. Fire them all, this is atrocious decision making. Utter stupidity everywhere in this organization

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
People forget that according to Tage Thompson when the ROR trade was made Botterill told him he'd play in the Sabres top 6 this season. WTF!!! Thompson had proved nothing in the NHL and the AHL. I've never heard a GM do this with a B prospect.

That continues to stick in my craw - not only because of how mediocre Thompson has played but more importantly because it was a blatant and hypocritical contradiction of the mantra Botterill has preached since he arrived from Pittsburgh: develop the prospects in the minors, slowly and patiently and allow them to learn the pro game, gain confidence and earn an NHL job through hard work. Thompson had 2 preseason games where he scored on his toe-drag move and was no better in training camp than either C.J. Smith or Nylander - so him being exempt from the minors while two other prospects were sent down set such a precedent for a lack of credibility by the GM. It also has the frustrating optics of making such a promise to save face, knowing that the trade return for O'Reilly was a mockery and would look even worse if the "highlight" of the package Buffalo got was in the minors.

The hypocrisy also was mimicked by Housley, preaching from the start about players being held accountable for their play yet cherry-picking some role players to be benched or scratched while gifting others for prominent roles despite their recurring mistakes............

Last edited:

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Botts has lost the plot. No longer supporting him if he is going to keep the baffoon and already sat on his hands for a month when he should have made his moves.. Fire them all, this is atrocious decision making. Utter stupidity everywhere in this organization

Right now, it feels like we're destined to relive another 'Regier-like' tenure of ineptitude, contradictions and indecisiveness that perpetually extends the "next year" promise to its fan base.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
That continues to stick in my craw - not only because of how mediocre Thompson has played but more importantly because it was a blatant and hypocritical contradiction of the mantra Botterill has preached since he arrived from Pittsburgh: develop the prospects in the minors, slowly and patiently and allow them to learn the pro game, gain confidence and earn an NHL job through hard work. Thompson had 2 preseason games where he scored on his toe-drag move and was no better in training camp than either C.J. Smith or Nylander - so him being exempt from the minors while two other prospects were sent down set such a precedent for a lack of credibility by the GM. The hypocrisy also was mimicked by Housley, preaching from the start about players being held accountable for their play yet cherry-picking some role players to be benched or scratched while gifting others for prominent roles despite their recurring mistakes............

*standing ovation*

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Are you suggesting he just not field questions from the fans and media? That’s a big part of his job - another aspect of his job that he has largely not done a noticeably good job at.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Right now, it feels like we're destined to relive another 'Regier-like' tenure of ineptitude, contradictions and indecisiveness that perpetually extends the "next year" promise to its fan base.

...without even the perennial first round playoff exits that Darcy gave us, when he had much fewer resources. Let’s be honest - Botterill might not even be at Darcy’s level. At least not yet.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Not worried about a guy who has turned over the roster in double digits each season he’s had the team to make moves.

He just might think the off season is the more appropriate time to do it. How many smug posters are usually bragging that their team wasn’t ripped off with deadline prices?

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
You're just going to get generic cliches from the GM talking to the media.

One thing that seemed genuine though was his shock when told the fans want a coaching change. And then he followed with a very defiant flat "No."

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
i don't often agree with Jeremy White but he just asked if Skinner isn't re-signed what does Botterill have to show for his 2 years as GM other than trading away an elite all round C in ROR? He finished dead effing last and won a lottery, that's an accomplishment to be proud of?

that performance by him yesterday was absurd, what it was is gaslighting. the reporters did a good job but I wish they would have brought up the ROR trade just so we could hear him stammer his way through a ridiculous defense of a trade that is truly indefensible.

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017

I'd be ecstatic if Botterill was "Regier-like". Darcy was GM from 1997-2013 with 8 playoff appearances, 4 ECF appearances, 1 SC appearance, 1 presidents trophy.

If you want to pretend 1997-2007 didn't happen, then yea, Darcy wasn't a good GM.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'd be ecstatic if Botterill was "Regier-like". Darcy was GM from 1997-2013 with 8 playoff appearances, 4 ECF appearances, 1 SC appearance, 1 presidents trophy.

If you want to pretend 1997-2007 didn't happen, then yea, Darcy wasn't a good GM.

Regier wasn't perfect. But, he looks like a HHOFer when compared to Murray and Botterill at this point.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Botterill's answers today were absurd. Just absurd. I know he has an MBA, so he's been conditioned to talk like this, but oh my god. He's mixed MBA non-speak with Sean McDermott folksy OneBuffalo non-speak and it is some of the most ridiculous, awful bull**** I've ever heard in my life. "It's a situation where we are putting ourselves in situations where we have the opportunity to compete to win games in third periods."

Oh my god. To think that this team is somehow "developing" by "being in positions to compete to win games in third periods" - when they are NOT WINNING THEM - is ridiculous and stupid. They are getting their doors blown off in third periods. They are doing nothing other than being consistently bad, and losing a lot. But, I guess, congrats on being tied going into the third period, guys! Nevermind that you lost 6-2. It was close after the 2nd intermission! Tage Thompson learned a lot from that!

I mean, the biggest problem is that Botterill basically gave off the vibe that, "This is all part of the plan. It's supposed to be like this." That's what the execrable Bills management sounds like. It's insulting. Do these people think we're that stupid? I guess they do.

The perpetual rebuild. Never question it.
There is much truth in this statement right here.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Are you suggesting he just not field questions from the fans and media? That’s a big part of his job - another aspect of his job that he has largely not done a noticeably good job at.

I’m suggesting don’t talk to the media unless you need to or when you have something good to say.

He already will have to talk to them after the deadline.

Why do this? Unless you just don’t realize that you will sound, less than impressive...

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Guys are still going to be migrating to Roch like ukko and guys from last years draft plus 3 more first rounders next year. He wants to fill the pipeline and that takes time. It should have been done already but Murray thought otherwise.

So you are counting on more prospects with multiple years of development for the grand plan?

How many years of Eichel and Dahlin are you comfortable with wasting for the pipeline?

Btw, the players that are a big part of their pipeline and currently on the team were Murray pickups. Asplund, Olofsson, Guhle, Borgen, Nylander, Nelson,etc.

I don’t bring that up to defend Murray, I bring it up to say why the hell are we acting like Botts got a barren wasteland?

He got to take over with Eichel, Reinhart, Risto, Kane, O’Reilly and pretty much every useful player on this team not named Skinner.

Let’s stop acting like Botts is the little Dutch girl with her finger in the dyke.

He has spent two years, in one year dropping badly in the standings from his predecessor on the strength of his own signings and in year two.... we shall see.

But for Christ’s sakes, since Botts took this job, the islanders have fired a coach, lost a player better than anyonevwe have for nothing, and are a much better team than us.

But Murray left the pipeline empty. It’s always a question for me, do you think Botts is a genius for “re-stocking” the pipeline, or could it be that the pipeline was never emptied and it’s just a talking point, because wow, Botts fixed that in a year and a half. Only needed a last place finish and to trade a great player for peanuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad