Jason Bonsignore interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I will also say this about Deveraux and Marchant and Weight and others. It's not that the team wanted to give up on these guys but it was a dollars issue. We didn't qualify Deveraux because he had head issues and being a small market team we couldn't afford the risk.

Oilerdiehard

Aug 9, 2005
Pennsylvania
- "I wasn't a bust".... "I worked hard".... "It wasn't having fun so it was hard to be motivated..." "It wasn't about the money"... "All my confidence went out the window when I first step into the NHL".

Well that is good to know and of he was vindicated later on. As with his big heart and determination he went on to the Tampa Bay Lightning and ripped up the league on his way to a successful NHL career. :sarcasm:

You know he had to be sucking pretty bad. Usually top 4 skilled offensive forward draft picks with good size get a half dozen chances with different organizations (hoping he will finally break out) before they get labeled bust and have go off to Europe. Bonsignore went to Tampa where he played 35 games one season, then 23 games the next season in the NHL. Then it was off to the minors and Europe permanently.

HermanMunster

GRAMPA SIMPSON!
Sep 10, 2009
Wow. Just wow.

Jason Bonsignore was before my time as an Oilers fan so I can't claim to know anything about the situation (aside from the bare bones bust story), but that interview was tough to listen to. He poured his heart out. If even half of what he said was true then I'm amazed Glen Sather is still in hockey.

Come to think of it, I'm amazed Glen Sather is still in hockey anyways (I'm looking at you, Redden, etc).

You've got to feel bad for the guy. He admits he didn't have teh right attitude, but it certainly sounded as if he was handled poorly and the treatment bordered on mental abuse.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Wow. Just wow.

Jason Bonsignore was before my time as an Oilers fan so I can't claim to know anything about the situation (aside from the bare bones bust story), but that interview was tough to listen to. He poured his heart out. If even half of what he said was true then I'm amazed Glen Sather is still in hockey.

Come to think of it, I'm amazed Glen Sather is still in hockey anyways (I'm looking at you, Redden, etc).

You've got to feel bad for the guy. He admits he didn't have teh right attitude, but it certainly sounded as if he was handled poorly and the treatment bordered on mental abuse.

Read the quotes I provided a page back for the other side of the story. Bonsignore's problems started well before the Oilers had anything to do with him.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Just want to say that his draft report on THN at the time said "Great hands, no heart" This is when Bob Mckenzie was still on their staff and a major contributer to the draft day preview.

He was noted for having a "sense of entitlement"

Not wanting to take what he says with a grain of salt, but his issues were widely known at the time.

Sather is the same guy that Messier and Gretzky and many other Oilers give major credit too, so perhaps I do take his words with a grain of salt.
Well to be fair Bob Mckenzie did say Daigle had the "heart of a lion" but maybe he meant the cowardly lion.

HermanMunster

GRAMPA SIMPSON!
Sep 10, 2009
Read the quotes I provided a page back for the other side of the story. Bonsignore's problems started well before the Oilers had anything to do with him.

I've read a lot about Bonsignore (I said I didn't know much about it basically because I have no first hand memories of seeing him play) so I know the quotes about him that are out there. I seem to recall reading a Jeff O'Neill quote from his draft when asked who he played like, something along the lines of "I'm like Bonsignore only I'm not a chicken'.

Maybe what Bonsignore said isn't true or is greatly exaggerated, but the way he was treated still obviously bothers him. If any of what he said was true, it sounds like Slats was playing some very vicious and cruel head games with a teenager which is not okay.

In any case, it's food for thought.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
After reading Gary Joyce's scout book, Jason here had a lot of red flags.

When asked for scouts, they had to divide five points in three different categories, I think it was skill, attitude, and work ethic. They put five in skill, and none in the others.

After I think, the world juniors, players actually took his jersey and burned it. He would always talk about opening a go kart track, and how his dad was big on that.

I have a hard time feeling bad for a guy like that. He had the skills, for sure. But he had a lot of red flags, and I feel resentment because it was another Sather beauty.

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
what a freaking baby

what he described wasnt so horrible, its almost like what professionals do... ya know

people sometimes think guys just show up and play. its never that simple to be a professional athlete, no matter what you sport it is

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Shocker. Principe didn't confront him on any points. Then once Jason is off the line, refers to him as a bust. Say it to his face and grow a pair. That is gutless and unprofessional.

sundog

Jun 17, 2007
In Bonsignore's defence:

He said at least twice during the interview that his failed career wasn't simply the Oilers fault; and that alot of it was his own fault.

He said that he enjoyed the fans in Edmonton, called them great/knowledgable.

He apologized to the Oilers org and their fans for not being what they wanted him to be

I thought Bonsignore showed alot of dignity by talking about this episode in his life. Did he sound bitter at times? Sure, but who wouldn't? He was supposed to be a great NHL'er and instead barely played in the big leagues and is going down in history as a bust. That has to hurt.

I'm sure his version of the events aren't the exact truth, anymore than Sather's version would be the exact truth.
But I do believe that he felt he was treated poorly by Sather.

He was open and honest and spoke from the heart. Good for him.
I wish him well.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
After reading Gary Joyce's scout book, Jason here had a lot of red flags.

When asked for scouts, they had to divide five points in three different categories, I think it was skill, attitude, and work ethic. They put five in skill, and none in the others.

After I think, the world juniors, players actually took his jersey and burned it. He would always talk about opening a go kart track, and how his dad was big on that.

I have a hard time feeling bad for a guy like that. He had the skills, for sure. But he had a lot of red flags, and I feel resentment because it was another Sather beauty.

Denis Bonvie could've wrote that book years ago and when it was happening. Bonvie was outspoken about Bonsignores lack of drive and criticized him in the org soundly. Some of the comments were public.

Oct 15, 2008
First off Gagner had his best offensive season last year.

Dan Cleary also played two years elsewhere between Edmonton and Detroit and before he went there he made changes in his life. He realized he was done if he didn't change his ways.

What does drafting have to do? Well you were talking about 20 1st round busts.

Dan Cleary was not happy with his time in Edmonton. If you are using him as an example of how everything is/was the player's fault, you should stop right now.

Oct 15, 2008

Ive read the quotes and the book, it still doesnt explain why such a head case was taken fourth overall. If this was common knowledge, then why would he be drafted that high?

Oct 15, 2008
Shocker. Principe didn't confront him on any points. Then once Jason is off the line, refers to him as a bust. Say it to his face and grow a pair. That is gutless and unprofessional.

I think you are a bit out of line here. Gene may be a lot of things but he is a pretty nice guy. If he referred to him as a bust, Im sure it wasnt in a malicious or cowardly way. It is pretty much the first thing people think about when "Bonsignore" is brought up.

Oct 15, 2008
I think you are a bit out of line here. Gene may be a lot of things but he is a pretty nice guy. If he referred to him as a bust, Im sure it wasnt in a malicious or cowardly way. It is pretty much the first thing people think about when "Bonsignore" is brought up.

Sorry I cant edit my posts, but I believe you may have a better idea about Gene than I do. I seem to remember that you are in the "industry" some how. It just seems to me that Gene is fairly harmless and means well. At least that is how he comes off.

Giant Moo

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
The timing of this interview seems a little odd. Why is it newsworthy for Jason Bonsignore to be reminiscing on the radio? The whole thing screams "slow summer time radio filler" to me. Cripes.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I'll clarify, I think nils and cogs did. Gags, Ill retract however, im sure you remember when everybody was hyping him as a perenial 90 point player.

I guess what I meant was from what he was going to be.

There isn't a development system in the world that would make Gagner a 90 point player.

Davare*

Shocker. Some nobody on the internet takes shots at a media person who is very likely never going to see the comments. Grow a pair and say it to his face. etc...

Giant Moo

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Shocker. Some nobody on the internet takes shots at a media person who is very likely never going to see the comments. Grow a pair and say it to his face. etc...

What a bizarre comment.

The media are fair game here, especially when they make public comments. Usually there is very little opportunity for plebs like us to talk to any of them "to their face".

As for the main thrust of your comment, various media members have accounts here on HFBoards, and are free to respond if and when they wish. While most choose to cast aspersions from the safety of their radio shows, some do take the time to discuss topics here; Principe is free to respond whenever he wishes.

HermanMunster

GRAMPA SIMPSON!
Sep 10, 2009
Sorry I cant edit my posts, but I believe you may have a better idea about Gene than I do. I seem to remember that you are in the "industry" some how. It just seems to me that Gene is fairly harmless and means well. At least that is how he comes off.

It just seemed like an odd thing for Gene to say when he said it. Everyone knows Bonsignore was a bust. Why bother saying it after thanking him for sharing his feelings on what are undoubtedly some of his unhappiest memories? Memories that are unhappy because he feels he was never given a fair chance to shake the "bust" tag.

Obviously Bonsignore didn't have the right stuff to play in the NHL, but calling him a bust when Gene did just sort of seemed like kicking a man when he was down.

Just my two cents.

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
I think the thing alot of us are forgetting is that he was just a kid, and every kid matures at a different age..Obviously he wasnt mentally ready for the NHL at the time..
I am sure there are many young recently drafted players who have a ton of skill but just dont have the drive to physically push themselves in the gym ¨yet¨
Not everyone is born with the same temperament..for some it takes alot longer to develope a strong work ethic..
What happened with Chris Pronger when he first got drafted? Being called lazy...how long before he matured?
What about Jason Arnott?

Sather and the rest of the Oilers management just wasnt patient enough for his type at the time..they wanted him to be the saviour of the franchise..they messed with the kid..permanently destroyed his confidence as a hockey player..
Some of us are stronger mentally than others..
How many here are still having nightmares about their junior high school days?
**** happens..sometimes its almost impossible to deal with it..especially when your supposed to be the next great thing.

Having said that..I have not heard Sathers side of the story..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad