Confirmed with Link: Jason Arnott fails physical; Deal with NYR off

truebluegoalie

Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Well, if Moore starts by losing eight of his first ten fo's I guess he won't be out there to take a lot of them them either. Halpern was supposed to help on faceoffs but he's sucked on them (small sample size, but still that is pretty bad).

Edit: A little better after the first game. Still only 8 for 23, though.

I had a hard time finding faceoff stats, where did you get them?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers gave Arnott a standard physical. They looked at his previous injuries. If Arnott couldn't pass the Rangers physical,he will have a hard time passing another physical.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Players are allowed to leave a team over money--I don't see what that has to do with anything. The problem with Ortmeyer is that even in his prime, he's a marginal player who would not fit in with this team or make them any better. People are just throwing names out there because of the slow start.

The problem with Ortmeyer is that he isn't quick anymore. His speed has declined, and with his limited skill package being slow isn't going to cut it.

I loved Jed when he was here, still proudly wear his Jersey, but that time has passed.

Last edited:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'd be interested in Brendan Morrison if they're set on getting another warm body. Can play all forward positions, can PK. Playoff tested. Not sure if he's kept himself in shape over the lockout.

frankthefrowner

Jan 13, 2007
Dvorak makes the most sense. Superb PKer, tons of speed, good forechecker. The Rangers actually need more PKers

Dvorak might the most under the radar players ever... every time we played the cats and i heard his name I went "Huh? hes still around?". Dude has been in the league over 10 years, hes solid but i figured he'd be some where in europe by now.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I always get a little leery when Slats says something like that to the media. :laugh:

That whole Arnott situation is a bit strange. If I had to guess, I'd say hes relatively healthy, but showed up to the physical fat/out of shape and the Rangers said thanks but no thanks.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I haven't seen any one say that it does.

Go get Dvorak.

Go get Moore.

Trade for Subban.

Get Brendan Morrison.

Sign Sykora.

Trade for Ryan O'Reilly.

Etc......

For a team that made a run to the CF, there was a fair bit of turnover this past offseason. Its too soon to add more new guys when I don't feel we know what this team is. Or what their needs really are.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Go get Dvorak.

Go get Moore.

Trade for Subban.

Get Brendan Morrison.

Sign Sykora.

Trade for Ryan O'Reilly.

Etc......

I think theres just a ton of people who like the ideas of trades and prospects rather than the true value and end result they'd bring to the team.

The Subban stuff, especially, is mindblowing. Theres so many people willing to hand multiple assets to Montreal and overpay Subban....why? Especially considering the cap implications this team faces next year.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Go get Dvorak.

Go get Moore.

Trade for Subban.

Get Brendan Morrison.

Sign Sykora.

Trade for Ryan O'Reilly.

Etc......
So what is the case for not improving the team at this stage of the game? Do wins in January/February not count the same?

Wanting to see some minor tweaks now is not the same as demanding a finished product immediately. That's quite the leap.

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
I read he was skating with some of the Stars players during the lockout.

But that wasnt enough I guess.

I would suggest he didn't have a full range of motion for his leg when docs asked to flex it. It could be overlooked once he got the strenght back and had no problem skating.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
So what is the case for not improving the team at this stage of the game? Do wins in January/February not count the same?

What are the real needs this team has? I don't feel like I really know. And saying "depth" is not an answer. What exactly needs "improving"?

Wanting to see some minor tweaks now is not the same as demanding a finished product immediately. That's quite the leap.

Minor tweaks on top of a lot of changes this offseason makes for a lot of change. Can't we just see what this team is before tweaking?

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I think theres just a ton of people who like the ideas of trades and prospects rather than the true value and end result they'd bring to the team.

The Subban stuff, especially, is mindblowing. Theres so many people willing to hand multiple assets to Montreal and overpay Subban....why? Especially considering the cap implications this team faces next year.

I get that. And I enjoy talking trades as much as the next guy. I'm just not sure how anyone can have a strong grasp on what this team is, what their strengths and weaknesses are, and what they might need five games in. Especially with the schedule they've had to date.

tjs252

Feb 10, 2007
I think the team needs depth, that's a no-brainer. Where that depth is needed depends on a few things:

Does Hagelin ever return to form? Does Kreider improve? If the answer to either or both is no, then we need help on the wings, no question.

Does Stepan fit better on the wing? Does Boyle? If the answer to either of those is yes, we need help at center.

I think, no question, we need help on the PP, but that's been a recurring theme for the last several seasons (which is crazy).

An ideal fit would be Weiss, but I doubt the Panthers trade him for a number of reasons, chief among them the fact that they're relevant for the first time in over a decade.

Beyond that, I think we need another 5 games or so to really see where the needs develop, but with the condensed schedule, we really shouldn't wait too long to make a move, especially one that may allow Torts to use four lines and not wear down our top-6.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I get that. And I enjoy talking trades as much as the next guy. I'm just not sure how anyone can have a strong grasp on what this team is, what their strengths and weaknesses are, and what they might need five games in. Especially with the schedule they've had to date.

I think the framework is there. In its most basic form, the team could use another depth forward and a cheap defenseman capable of taking a regular shift.

But it is too early to target particular players.

Radek Dvorak, for instance, is someone who I dont really think would help this team in any tangible way. The strongest case for him is "Hey, that guy has an awesome name and I sort of remember him from 12 years ago."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad