Player Discussion Jaroslav Halák

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I'd like Bruins chances with Halak a lot more than I would with Dan Vladar or Maxime Lagace

Well, sure. But we're still talking about a 0.5% chance of winning vs a 2% chance of winning.

Our chances are best though with rask and a scoring RW for krejci that perhaps halak could help bring.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Well, sure. But we're still talking about a 0.5% chance of winning vs a 2% chance of winning.

Our chances are best though with rask and a scoring RW for krejci that perhaps halak could help bring.

I appreciate the sentiment. I would be too worried about something happening to Tuukka and then seeing poor Dan Vladar get shelled as a starter for his NHL career. I don't think Halak gets moved, though, do you?

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I appreciate the sentiment. I would be too worried about something happening to Tuukka and then seeing poor Dan Vladar get shelled as a starter for his NHL career. I don't think Halak gets moved, though, do you?

I don't think so either, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Halak is the best 1B goalie we have had in awhile, no problem with him holding the fort. We are blessed to have 2 good goalies, try being a fan of the Leafs the last few years, they have not found a decent back up yet.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Halak is the best 1B goalie we have had in awhile, no problem with him holding the fort. We are blessed to have 2 good goalies, try being a fan of the Leafs the last few years, they have not found a decent back up yet.

What's interesting is how good Dobby has been in Dallas, we could probably have kept him and been fine, but Bruins goaltending past three season has been fantastic either way.

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
If rask gets hurt, they're not winning the cup either way. Halak is great in small doses. We've seen what can happen when he is "the guy".
But this assumes it's all or nothing with a Rask injury. Say he gets injured for 2-4 games in a series - Halak still gives them a very good chance to still win that series. Vlader making his NHL debut in the NHL playoffs? Yikes.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
But this assumes it's all or nothing with a Rask injury. Say he gets injured for 2-4 games in a series - Halak still gives them a very good chance to still win that series. Vlader making his NHL debut in the NHL playoffs? Yikes.

You really want to argue over the exact odds of the Bruins winning without rask? Of course they change depending on how many games we'd need out of the backup. They're still not good. And that's the real point.

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
You really want to argue over the exact odds of the Bruins winning without rask? Of course they change depending on how many games we'd need out of the backup. They're still not good. And that's the real point.
But my point is that missing Rask for a few games with/without Halak could be a huge difference between winning and losing a series. Whatever we could get for Halak (2nd round pick maybe?) isn't worth that risk IMO with this being an "all-in" year. I agree if Rask is injured for the rest of the playoffs then the chance of a Cup go very low, but most injuries tend to be short-term.

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara

Trading away a position of strength which is probably the best goal tending tandem in the NHL is not a smart move. I have no problem with Halak taking over. He is more of a 1B then a back up, just look at his stats since coming here. He routinely is in the top stats off and on. Where we have options is on dee and we should move Miller if we follow your idea of guys on expiring contracts and his 2.5 million. Getting a 2nd round pick or 3rd pick for Halak does not help us for a long cup drive this year. Teams will just wait till summer. We will not find a better option in net to over come losing him.

Last edited:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Halak is much more important to Boston's success
than given credit for. His direct impact when playing
is substantial and his impact on Rask is significant.

Question is how much are you willing to overpay him
and what term?

Does the fact that the team has the most Czech/Slovaks on any contender impact his decision making and the fact they should be legit contenders if he stays next year also?

I would offer him $3.5-3.75 for next year. IMO the most impactful money they could offer any UFA for that price.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Halak to me is like Krejci in the sense that while they are still contributing players, at some point you need their spots to see what the young guys can do.

Vlader will be 23 at the start of next season and going into his 5th professional season. By most reports he's having a very good year in Providence and has gotten better every year. I think you need to at least see what you have there at some point. Might be worthwhile to do it before Rask's contract expires, not afterwards.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Halak to me is like Krejci in the sense that while they are still contributing players, at some point you need their spots to see what the young guys can do.

Vlader will be 23 at the start of next season and going into his 5th professional season. By most reports he's having a very good year in Providence and has gotten better every year. I think you need to at least see what you have there at some point. Might be worthwhile to do it before Rask's contract expires, not afterwards.

That works for a bubble team with a fairly young #1
like Anaheim. On a true Cup contender I don't want
riding with an untested rook.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Ideally they can sign Halak for another year, but I wonder if he would do that. I probably wouldn't if I were him and knew I could get two or three somewhere else. Valdar is looking good this season, but he needs a playoff run in Providence and another year of being the man down there, I think. Spot starts in Boston next season possibly too.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Ideally they can sign Halak for another year, but I wonder if he would do that. I probably wouldn't if I were him and knew I could get two or three somewhere else. Valdar is looking good this season, but he needs a playoff run in Providence and another year of being the man down there, I think. Spot starts in Boston next season possibly too.

Honestly though, who is giving Halak a 2-3 year deal at this point? Two years maybe, I can't see any team offering 3.

He'll be 36 after next year. I can't see team's looking at Halak and wanting to invest in him even in the medium term at this point. You can be sure some teams also believe a lot of his success is due to Boston's defensive system. This is the same goalie that a few years ago couldn't stop a beach-ball with the Islanders and cleared waivers.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Honestly though, who is giving Halak a 2-3 year deal at this point? Two years maybe, I can't see any team offering 3.

He'll be 36 after next year. I can't see team's looking at Halak and wanting to invest in him even in the medium term at this point. You can be sure some teams also believe a lot of his success is due to Boston's defensive system. This is the same goalie that a few years ago couldn't stop a beach-ball with the Islanders and cleared waivers.

Well if he is good with a one year extension, that is what I would like to have him back at till Vladar can be gotten ready

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Well if he is good with a one year extension, that is what I would like to have him back at till Vladar can be gotten ready

That would be the better solution for the Bruins. Although it runs some risk of having Rask and Halak both gone come 2021-22 and no idea if Vlader is capable of NHL competition. Which is why a Vlader apprenticeship might be the better way to go for next year. A lot of this comes down to Rask. He'll be entering his Age 34 season at the start of his next contract. I think he'll still be capable for a couple years after that, but we are closer to the end than the beginning of the Rask era.

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara

Isles fans said Halak was not the problem and he actually kept them in most games. That team had no idea how to play team defense up until the last few years. Halak could have taken the #1 spot in Montreal over Price and probably should have. Rask also benefiting from being within the Bruins defensive system all his career and as we hear that a lot, it goes both ways. Rask playing on a weaker team would surely not have the same career stats.

Will Halak get extended, who knows but maybe it is time to see if Vlader can take over. Rask is not getting any younger, time to groom the next ones and save some money over an older guy like Halak. Rask has a lot of mileage on him with all the Bruin success it also means a lot of games and short off season's. I say let him walk at the end of his contract, same with a few other older guys that have been great but it is time, like Miller and Krech after his contract. Replenish, rejuvenate, rinse and repeat.

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
A huge reason why Rask is playing at the level he is, is because we have Halak. He allows Rask to play at the elite level he is capable of by allowing Rask to be well-rested. A well-rested, elite playing Rask, is something that may win us a Stanley Cup. Halak is the perfect 1B and Sweeney is a genius for signing him. I hope he comes back with the Bruins.

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

halak is gonna have a hard time getting 2 years. that 35+ contract thing usually
scares teams off from term. i'd give him 1 year for $3M. unless he wants to
go chase a #1 job, i don't see why he'd leave.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad