Player Discussion Jaroslav Halák

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
The weird thing is Halak will make some crazy stops on shots you think he has no chance on, then let in 3 consecutive soft wristers from just inside the blue line.

it's maddening really.

That is nothing new. He was know for this also in Islanders and even in St. Louis. Still hope, he will bounce back. He has strong march and april, so lets wait.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Steady and alarming decline as the season goes on for him.

Oct: 4-0-2, .947, 1.51
Nov: 4-3-0, .928, 2.53
Dec: 4-3-0, .910, 2.74
Jan: 1-2-0, .857, 3.73

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Halak was not his best last night. he could have saved face as he made some fine saves after the 1st goal. The 3rd and 4th he had no chance. But that 4th goal has to be stopped.

He has done pretty well in as a Bruin and we need a tender to push Tuukka so I hope he is able to shake it off going forward.

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
Frustrating since he really was pushing Tuukka early on. After his last game, one would have thought he would have been more composed, especially against Philly.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
So just like every other backup we bring in... There's a push to make him the starter early in the year. Then the lustre wears off.

Khudobin. Svedberg. Chad Johnson. Teeth are gnashed over Martin Jones and Malcolm Subban and Hutchinson. Rask was/is better than any and all of 'em.

Halak is great and has been a great addition to the team. Tuukka is our number one.

There is no controversy and there never was.

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I'm a big Halak fan, but man he can be so frustrating to watch at times :eek:

and we get more clue why hes been on 5 teams in the last 6 years... plus spent around half a year in the ahl

his ahl time was a result of a contract no one wanted... but this isn't someone anyone has viewed at their answer in quite some time. his numbers were great in st louis and they moved him out without having anyone better to replace him with. he can have good numbers... his career numbers don't suck... but when you watch this guy play more than a month or two... you will get frustrated.

hes 33. this was never some kid coming in here that we unearthed. hes a well grizzled vet with a career of history we can look at and realize what we are getting

we paid him top backup money because hes a top backup. hes an adequate split starter. when hes on a hot streak he can handle half the games and look outstanding.

if he happens to get on a hot streak at playoff time... freaking awesome

hes MILES better than khubodin but he will go through stretches like now where his flaws show through and we can be reminded no one wants him as their starter

Reactions: france62

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
So just like every other backup we bring in... There's a push to make him the starter early in the year. Then the lustre wears off.

Halak is great. Tuukka is our number one.

There is no controversy and there never was.

the controversy probably was more about rask showing signs of concern to us... I posted earlier in this thread that if playoffs were starting on that day, halak would be my starter

last year Washington didn't start holtby… so not sure that counts as a controversy. I think the bigger controversy would come if we decided to trade rask to freshen up our mix here.

I mean when Thomas was shown the door for rask… was that more about rask demanding to take the job or more about us seeing the signs on the wall that it was time for Thomas to hit the road?

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
the controversy probably was more about rask showing signs of concern to us... I posted earlier in this thread that if playoffs were starting on that day, halak would be my starter

last year Washington didn't start holtby… so not sure that counts as a controversy. I think the bigger controversy would come if we decided to trade rask to freshen up our mix here.

I mean when Thomas was shown the door for rask… was that more about rask demanding to take the job or more about us seeing the signs on the wall that it was time for Thomas to hit the road?
You can be immune to my criticism about this issue, as you fought against this in the past, most notably with Dobby. It's not a cycle for you and you call it like you see it.

Same can't be said for so many other folks who sound the alarm two games in.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
You can be immune to my criticism about this issue, as you fought against this in the past, most notably with Dobby. It's not a cycle for you and you call it like you see it.

Same can't be said for so many other folks who sound the alarm two games in.

I guess for those other posters/and media people... I chalk it up to the same thing that happens to the local backup qb. I cant even take it seriously 90% of the time because of the 'underdog' mentality some fans have... or the desire to try that new flavor of icecream

but yeah... I do see how youd lose some patience in a way with these 'try the new guy' posters.

honestly I think if we go back 20 years or more here... the backup 'numbers' have usually been pretty damn close to the starters. Im even thinking about the days of moog/lemelin. im thinking when we brought in manny Fernandez. our team has coached defense first for as long as I can remember and when you have guys like chara and Bergeron focused on protecting you... most backups should be able to post some good results

ive had this theory about goalies for at least 20 years... that they are ALL GOOD. I mean they are athletic... their equipment is fantastic... and they are coached how to play the %

I see very few goalies that cant look outstanding at times. im never surprised when a cam Talbot finishes top 3 in vezina one year and then looks like waiver wire guy the next. I actually expect it

when brian boucher runs together 4 shutouts in a row... it doesn't surprise me

when Andrew Hammond becomes a local Ottawa hero... it doesn't surprise me

at the same time when hannu toivonen is our goalie of the future one second... and basically out of the league the next... that doesn't surprise me

when Andrew raycroft can win roty… and then be on the fast train to no where... doesn't surprise me

I think goaltending is a crazy whacky thing and the number of guys you can count on to be good this year and next numbers less than 20. the guys capable of being good number more than 50. betting on any of these 50 goalies to be the ONE is just really hard

rask has been good many years in a row so he deserves more respect than we give him... but I just fear that the fans are ruining him with all this booing crap. that's basically why bobrovsky wants out of Columbus. hes upset the fans boo him for his playoff performance. goalies are tempermental beasts at the best of times.

if we do intend to keep rask here... lets start showing our support for this guy. his numbers for his career have been freaking outstanding

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
"William Nylander still has yet to surpass Jaroslav Halak in points this season. " They have both 3 points. Halak played 25 games, Nylander 18 games, though. But still, interesting fact.

Reactions: Faterson

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
I will never understand this need to have a clearly defined "no.1"! Surely the "starter" on any given night is the guy who is playing better. Especially in a sport like hockey where come playoff time it is not a one off game situation. During the start of the season Halak was clearly playing better and at that point in time was "no.1". Now the tables have turned and Rask is "no.1". It is an ever evolving situation. There is no need whatsoever to have a set in stone "no.1". Play the in form goalie at any given time. Simples.

Both Halak and Rask have both had their dips in form this season but overall both have been pretty good. I still think it is the best tandem in the league and this whole "goalie controversy" does nothing but a disservice to both guys. Thankfully it seems to be nothing but a fan made controversy as Halak and Rask seem to have a good relationship with eachother and Cassidy has given the majority of starts to whomever is in form regardless of who fans view as the "no.1".

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
I guess for those other posters/and media people... I chalk it up to the same thing that happens to the local backup qb. I cant even take it seriously 90% of the time because of the 'underdog' mentality some fans have... or the desire to try that new flavor of icecream

but yeah... I do see how youd lose some patience in a way with these 'try the new guy' posters.

honestly I think if we go back 20 years or more here... the backup 'numbers' have usually been pretty damn close to the starters. Im even thinking about the days of moog/lemelin. im thinking when we brought in manny Fernandez. our team has coached defense first for as long as I can remember and when you have guys like chara and Bergeron focused on protecting you... most backups should be able to post some good results

ive had this theory about goalies for at least 20 years... that they are ALL GOOD. I mean they are athletic... their equipment is fantastic... and they are coached how to play the %

I see very few goalies that cant look outstanding at times. im never surprised when a cam Talbot finishes top 3 in vezina one year and then looks like waiver wire guy the next. I actually expect it

when brian boucher runs together 4 shutouts in a row... it doesn't surprise me

when Andrew Hammond becomes a local Ottawa hero... it doesn't surprise me

at the same time when hannu toivonen is our goalie of the future one second... and basically out of the league the next... that doesn't surprise me

when Andrew raycroft can win roty… and then be on the fast train to no where... doesn't surprise me

I think goaltending is a crazy whacky thing and the number of guys you can count on to be good this year and next numbers less than 20. the guys capable of being good number more than 50. betting on any of these 50 goalies to be the ONE is just really hard

rask has been good many years in a row so he deserves more respect than we give him... but I just fear that the fans are ruining him with all this booing crap. that's basically why bobrovsky wants out of Columbus. hes upset the fans boo him for his playoff performance. goalies are tempermental beasts at the best of times.

if we do intend to keep rask here... lets start showing our support for this guy. his numbers for his career have been freaking outstanding
I just .... like this post from top to bottom. It is so right. Rask ain’t perfect and neither is Halak. With both, i really beleive that Boston is in good shape in net and both are good. Rask numbers are impressive. We can conclude he did better along the time than some might say. We as fans ar extremely daily basis and small samples size view.

Regarding Halak, he does struggle right now. Rask time. At the beginnig of the season, Rask was struggling, it was Halak time. When a player is having a hard time but still working hard, i dislike when the player is thrown under the bus with a total lack of respect. Earning 7 million a season does not implicite the guy will be perfect all the time... Because that is basically impossible. 7 millions is a market value, not a confirmation that the player will be great on every night!

Reactions: Faterson

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
From the start people who have followed Halak were saying this would happen. It's his MO. Same as people who follow Rask know not to get down on the guy early, because he will pull things together and be awesome. I'm not worried about Halak. He is having a rough stretch. He will be fine. He didnt forget how to play goalie. He was a league leader earlier this season. Still very happy with the Bs tandem.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Halak confirmed to start tonight vs. the Rangers.

He needs a big performance vs. a team he's very familiar with. He's basically had just three good performances in his last 13 games.

The team is coming off a big and emotional win last night vs. the Islanders and they need to keep the momentum going and valuable points coming in.

A stinker by Halak is not acceptable tonight IMO.

Reactions: 13Hockey

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Halak confirmed to start tonight vs. the Rangers.

He needs a big performance vs. a team he's very familiar with. He's basically had just three good performances in his last 13 games.

The team is coming off a big and emotional win last night vs. the Islanders and they need to keep the momentum going and valuable points coming in.

A stinker by Halak is not acceptable tonight IMO.

So, any issues with his last game? Im asking, didnt see it.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
So, any issues with his last game? Im asking, didnt see it.

I saw the last 10 minutes of the 2nd and all of the 3rd.

I’m no goalie expert, but he appears to be overcommitting on some plays, getting out of position, and then he’s unable to make the adjustment/save when the puck bounces or is passed in a different direction.

He continues to be inconsistent. Thought he was a little out of position on goals 2 and 3, then lights out in the OT.

I wouldn’t say he was bad, but if he was as dialed in during regulation as he was in OT, the game never gets to extra time.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia

I’m no goalie expert, but he appears to be overcommitting on some plays, getting out of position, and then he’s unable to make the adjustment/save when the puck bounces or is passed in a different direction.

He continues to be inconsistent. Thought he was a little out of position on goals 2 and 3, then lights out in the OT.

I wouldn’t say he was bad, but if he was as dialed in during regulation as he was in OT, the game never gets to extra time.

I'd have to agree, he had a good 1st, 2nd and OT, but a stretch in the third that wasn't very good, the game tying specifically seemed way too easy for the Rangers.

False Start

May 8, 2018

I agree. But that 2nd goal I think literally every one of our players was out of position and it took a 2nd/3rd chance for Hayes to bury it.

Someone got behind Carlo initially, Frederic was bad on the initial backcheck. Nordstrom lost the eventual goal scorer. Carlo was out of position.

Just a bad overall defensive breakdown. Unfortunate bounces that allowed the Rangers to keep the puck, but it happens.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->