Confirmed with Link: Jarmo Fired, JD (& staff) named interim GM

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
On Thursday's edition of "The Jeff Marek Show,"NHL insider Elliotte Friedman said the situation in Columbus was simmering before the regular season even kicked off.

"After the Babcock situation, and the statement the ownership put out at the time, everybody was on red alert," Friedman said. "If this season didn't go well, I think they knew we were coming to the end (of Kekalainen's tenure). A lot more (scrutiny from ownership) was being made into Kekalainen's decisions, and there were some things he thought about or looked at that (ownership had) pushback on that might not have been there in previous years.""At the end of the day, they knew they were going to be making a change," Friedman said. "And (the Blue Jackets) said, we might as well make it now...the decisions we might make now might not be what the knew regime (wants to do)."

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
SO as I've had a moment to sit and think about this, what do we think was the last straw?

Was it the handling of the 3 goalie situation blowing up? it's obviously been building up over time but there had to be something that made them realize it is time.

Losing Liam Foudy on waivers.

11 conference finals in that period, two teams per final. Thus, 22 chances to make at least one appearance.

Over half the teams in the Conference made the ECF during Jarmo's tenure (guess we're discounting 2013 in the WCF). 9 out of 16.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Losing Liam Foudy on waivers.

Over half the teams in the Conference made the ECF during Jarmo's tenure (guess we're discounting 2013 in the WCF). 9 out of 16.
So basically you've decided that everything he ever did ever was unredeemable horrible failure with no upside and no bright spots and nothing that could ever be considered good... because of a coin toss. Cool. G-d forbid you ever have management power.

Reactions: Fred Glover

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Reactions: Toe Pick

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Granted I haven’t listened but I find that a stretch. if there was a Jenner deal blocked, I’d like to see the deal to know which side I’d be on.

I hate the thought of ownership not making a trade that could make the team better because they like a guy.

But in the flip side, the deal could have been a desperation move by jarmo and terrible on paper.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Granted I haven’t listened but I find that a stretch. if there was a Jenner deal blocked, I’d like to see the deal to know which side I’d be on.

I hate the thought of ownership not making a trade that could make the team better because they like a guy.

But in the flip side, the deal could have been a desperation move by jarmo and terrible on paper.
The question is whether it would make the team better.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
JD thinks we'll get a lot of calls for the job ("in fact, I've already had a couple").
Points out that we're not starting from the bottom, and so there should be lots of interest.

Will look for "energy, smarts, a player evaluator, someone who understands analytics, everybody from A-Z".
Figures that "someone's going to pop right out for us" when discussing with Priest. (They've not even discussed replacements yet?
If JD can't step back and let a hockey GM do hockey things he'll NEVER get an experienced guy here. If he hires a ventriloquist dummy to sit on his lap there'll be no change seen.

Time will tell how this goes down...

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
If JD can't step back and let a hockey GM do hockey things he'll NEVER get an experienced guy here. If he hires a ventriloquist dummy to sit on his lap there'll be no change seen.

Time will tell how this goes down...
Thats how Toronto does it and atleast they are good in the regular season :laugh:

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I still find it absolutely crazy that Jarmo gambled his job on of Babcock of all the people in the world.
All he had to do was pick literally any average coach out there, and he would have had a safe job until 2025. Maybe even further depending on how the team develops into the 24-25 season.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I still find it absolutely crazy that Jarmo gambled his job on of Babcock of all the people in the world.
All he had to do was pick literally any average coach out there, and he would have had a safe job until 2025. Maybe even further depending on how the team develops into the 24-25 season.

I really want to hear Jarmo asked about who actually brought Babcock into the conversation. Was it him or someone above him. Because that matters.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
What a terrible mindset. I don’t even think Jarmo would agree with this nonsense.

Does Hedger want the Jackets to win a cup, or win “enough?” I’m glad the org isn’t quite that stupid.
I mean if you truly haven't gotten past the first round of the playoffs more than once in franchise history I'm pretty sure you haven't won enough.

Reactions: 3074326

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I was wondering what was up with Nash since we used to hear how he'd be a future GM

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
So basically you've decided that everything he ever did ever was unredeemable horrible failure with no upside and no bright spots and nothing that could ever be considered good... because of a coin toss. Cool. G-d forbid you ever have management power.

Holy hyperbole batman lmao

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I'm just summing up what your argument here amounts to. If that's inaccurate, perhaps you should give specifics.

Yeah, you didn't sum it up, at all. You just made up a narrative because I dared to not fully agree with your viewpoint.

Kind of wild and childish, tbh.

It would be like me saying, "oh so you think Jarmo was the best GM in league history and should have been made PHOPs and gotten a statue."

See how hyperbole doesn't really add anything? And all this because I merely stated a fact that over half the Conference made the ECF during Jarmo's tenure lol

Reactions: Toe Pick

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeah, you didn't sum it up, at all. You just made up a narrative because I dared to not fully agree with your viewpoint.

Kind of wild and childish, tbh.

It would be like me saying, "oh so you think Jarmo was the best GM in league history and should have been made PHOPs and gotten a statue."

See how hyperbole doesn't really add anything? And all this because I merely stated a fact that over half the Conference made the ECF during Jarmo's tenure lol
Did so in a context in which failure to make the ECF supposedly invalidated everything he ever did. All you "everything is forever terrible" folks are starting to blur together for me anyways and I don't give a f*** anymore. I'm getting enough unreasonable "nuhuh all is fail" garbage from the system recovery I've been working on for most of the day as is and I'm tired of y'all's petty rationalizations.

Reactions: Indy18

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
I really want to hear Jarmo asked about who actually brought Babcock into the conversation. Was it him or someone above him. Because that matters.
That would be interesting to know, but I'm not sure the Babcock mess was a huge sea change in Jarmo's performance ratings.

I have to think it was the constant accretion of "small things" - contracts that proved slightly too expensive, free agents that never produced at expected levels, prospects that developed (at best) erratically, coaches who showed signs of competence but couldn't make sustainable progress. More about erosion than cataclysm.

Either way, I wish him well going forward. As a person with an inexplicable fondness for all things Finnish I was excited to see him arrive and am sad he had to go. But I do think it was necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad