Confirmed with Link: Jarmo Fired, JD (& staff) named interim GM

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I mean he wasn’t paralyzed or in a coma. Picking up a phone and talking is all he needed to do, so the surgery is just another excuse from this regime.
I'm assuming he was heavily sedated during his recovery(and he's still recovering )This wasn't a minor thing, it's something he's been dealing with.

And it's probably not the best to mix opioids and major franchise altering decisions.

From 1982

John Davidson, the injury-plagued goaltender for the Rangers, underwent successful spinal surgery yesterday at Lenox Hill Hospital. Davidson had two disks removed to alleviate pressure they were putting on nearby nerves.

''Both disks were in pretty bad shape, all in pieces,'' said Dr. Norman Scott, the team physician, who observed the surgery performed by Dr. Patrick O'Leary. ''It's amazing he was able to play this long, and a tribute to his dedication. He must have had considerable discomfort that he didn't tell us about.''

Reactions: Viqsi

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Funny how people talk like JD should still do his job while dealing with surgery would probably complain to their company’s HR department if their Boss called them if they were on medical leave.

Having managed people in the past, HR is the only people who deal with someone out of the office on medical leave.
Big difference is that JD is on top of the food chain. If he was unable to make decisions during that time then his responsibilities should have been designated to someone else while he was disabled.

AndBoomGoesTheCannon

Feb 21, 2019
Cleveland, OH
Funny how people talk like JD should still do his job while dealing with surgery would probably complain to their company’s HR department if their Boss called them if they were on medical leave.

Having managed people in the past, HR is the only people who deal with someone out of the office on medical leave.
Other front office leadership members should take over his tasks. The organization shouldn’t be put on hold because someone needs surgery.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Big difference is that JD is on top of the food chain. If he was unable to make decisions during that time then his responsibilities should have been designated to someone else while he was disabled.

Other front office leadership members should take over his tasks. The organization shouldn’t be put on hold because someone needs surgery.

Ok let's say they did give someone an acting president role, who would that be? Jarmo?

Jarmo do you think Jarmo should be fired?

Ok let's say they put like Basil Mcrae or someone on that level in the role for a month. Do you fire the GM while you're acting team president?

The more I think about it, there's no way around the problem.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Ok let's say they did give someone an acting president role, who would that be? Jarmo?

Ok let's say they put like Basil Mcrae or someone on that level in the role for a month. Do you fire the GM while you're acting team president?

Could have named Mike Priest the interim POHOP. But Priest doesn't know what he's doing which is a big part of the overall problem.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Could have named Mike Priest the interim POHOP. But Priest doesn't know what he's doing which is a big part of the overall problem.

Really in any organization I don't think you can take someone from the non-hockey side of the operation and have them cover for the hockey President for a month and fire the GM while they're there. That's just not going to happen. Anyone covering for JD would not fire the GM in that situation.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
JD and the rest have been here for several years.
Do they not have enough insights to know what is going on isn't working? Has JD just been cruising Indeed ads for better jobs since he has been back and hasn't been paying attention to the team he worked for? Oh that's right Brick by Brick, it will take another 10 years to be competitive..
Totally fair and I get that. I differ in that I don't feel the trade deadline is the best time to be remaking your team, plus I'd prefer a new voice to be a large part of that process that, to me, begins in the offseason.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

I would think that Priest would have taken the reigns. But he wouldn't have fired the GM. The fact that JD didn't fire Jarmo years ago speaks to his lack of competence.

If JD knew that he'd be on the shelf for a few months, then he probably would have been wise to fire Jarmo and put the search process in play from that point. Nothing changed from December to February and keeping Jarmo on did no good.

Reactions: koteka

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Which was Jarmo. Eliminate Jarmo and who's in charge? That's why they waited.

Could have but we've been down this road before where a non hockey person was making hockey decisions. We know it doesn't work.

Reactions: majormajor

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I don't think it is that strange. There's no need for a major move at the deadline since there aren't any big ticket pending UFA's. Yeah there's Roslovic and you could look to move Provorov and/or a depth defenseman. But otherwise it seems fine to just stand pat and avoid a sweeping change.

Let the young guys develop and let the injured guys heal. If there's a boost, it needs to come from the draft and from development within. This team's future is ultimately Fantilli, Jiricek, Johnson, Sillinger, Marchenko, Chinakhov, Voronkov, the prospects and the picks this year.

Big ticket UFAs aren't the only guys who get moved at the deadline. You can get creative with guys who have term.

This front office is full of vets now - JD, Mcrae, Flynn. It's not like it's a bunch of guys in their 2nd or 3rd year in the organization.

JD essentially punting on the TDL when he's been here over a decade (save for those two years when he left)...like, what is it you say you do here, man? You can't take over the GM duties and then just say, nah, we can't be active at the TDL because we don't have a GM. You're the acting GM!

As I've said, the cap is going up next year. Nearly all the playoff teams are capped out. This is the TDL to try to extract extra value by retaining on Jenner or Provorov. But oops, we don't have a GM signed so we can't possibly think about doing something like that.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Why did we urgently need to axe Jarmo if we were just going to sit on our hands at the TDL anyway? Why not just take his keys and phone away for the day and tell him to go to his office and play Solitaire until after 3pm? I mean, I’m glad he’s gone but the timing will never make sense to me. Even more so if JD is just going to “aw shucks” his way through every interview until the season is over.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Why did we urgently need to axe Jarmo if we were just going to sit on our hands at the TDL anyway? Why not just take his keys and phone away for the day and tell him to go to his office and play Solitaire until after 3pm? I mean, I’m glad he’s gone but the timing will never make sense to me. Even more so if JD is just going to “aw shucks” his way through every interview until the season is over.
Isn't this essentially what he's doing now and just doing it at home? Why tell him to come to work if that's all you want him to do?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
As I've said, the cap is going up next year. Nearly all the playoff teams are capped out. This is the TDL to try to extract extra value by retaining on Jenner or Provorov. But oops, we don't have a GM signed so we can't possibly think about doing something like that.

I don't think we should trade Jenner and JD has made it very clear that they aren't going to trade him, not because they want to save it for the next GM, but because they think it's a bad idea.

So you wanted a decision made on that, and it was made, just not the result you wanted.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
OMFG. I take one damn day off and y'all start relegislating the Kekalainen firing. :facepalm:

Just wait. I am composing the rock opera Jarmo!!! (Yes, the title of my Jarmo rock opera will have three exclamation points.)

Kekalainen,
At first you were finen.
But then Jarmo,
You did too much harmo.

• Haha
Reactions: Viqsi

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Instead of a full blown rock opera, how about a chatGPT written Haiku?

Jarmo's missteps loom,
Columbus' woes multiply,
General's path unclear.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Instead of a full blown rock opera, how about a chatGPT written Haiku?

Jarmo's missteps loom,
Columbus' woes multiply,
General's path unclear.
Because a rock opera requires some effort. "Haiku" (or what most people come up with and try to pass off as haiku by simply aping the syllable count while ignoring the symbolism and theme prerequisites) has all the creative energy of a fart joke.

also, that last line is six syllables

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Because a rock opera requires some effort. "Haiku" (or what most people come up with and try to pass off as haiku by simply aping the syllable count while ignoring the symbolism and theme prerequisites) has all the creative energy of a fart joke.

also, that last line is six syllables
A rock opera is also probably 2 hours long and would take a lot of time to perfect. Sometimes we've got to adjust the requirements to fit the project deadline.

But hey, if someone can write one about blind kid who plays pinball, why not write one about how upper management failed a team.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
A rock opera is also probably 2 hours long and would take a lot of time to perfect. Sometimes we've got to adjust the requirements to fit the project deadline.

But hey, if someone can write one about blind kid who plays pinball, why not write one about how upper management failed a team.
Okay, compromise. Give me an hour or two and I'll whip up a Shakespearean sonnet.

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Actually, don't even need that much:

It started out as a wonderful match,
The NHL's first European boss.
John Davidson saw him as quite the catch
And brought him in to stem the tide of loss.
In early years, performance was quite odd
With ebb and flow that gave no confidence
But turn around it did with actions awed,
Playoff streaks, THE SWEEP, and winning hence!
Yet all the players wanted to move on
Even Coach Torts, he joined the exodus
The Babcock try showed that the magic's gone
And every new signing would go amiss
So though he brought along success sublime
We'd all concur: departure? Now's the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad