Jared Staal

SteelCitySaviour

Nov 12, 2005
Pittsburgh PA
So being a third line centre makes you better than your brother who is a top line centre...? :dunno:

He's not a third line center right now, he's a second line LW. Besides, just because he's playing on x line on y team, doesnt mean that another player is better because he's playing on a higher line on another team.

Francis played on the second line behind Lemieux- does that mean that every other first line center was better than him? No, it meant that Lemieux was better. That's it. Every other center in the league would play behind Crosby right now, and a vast majority of 1st line centers would be playing behind Malkin too. What line Staal is on has no bearing on his skills compared to the rest of the league.

Back to the point. Eric is a great player. Right now, and probably next year too, Eric is the better player. But if you're ranking the brothers based on how good they're going to be, Jordan has shown the potential to be the best. I thought that was the point of the thread- how good the brothers were going to be.

Dextrous*

Its funny how everyone is underrated JS because he is behind Crosby and Malkin. Honestly i think JS could end up better than Malkin. At 18 the kid plays the most complete game an 18 year old has in a LONG time. I am sure he will end up being the best pick in that draft.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I could cara eless about potential, etc etc. He can miss the mark as much as make it.

Eric is better than Jordan is right now and anyone who argues against that is a fool.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
I could cara eless about potential, etc etc. He can miss the mark as much as make it.

Eric is better than Jordan is right now and anyone who argues against that is a fool.

No one has argued that dude.

Who cares about potential? Well, im guessing every GM in the league. Jordan is hardly a boom or bust prospect is he? He is having a very good rookie season, and as Jaded pointed out, he was nearly eligible for the 07 draft. Considering the kind of progress Eric made from his rookie season to his sophomore season, you'd expect Jordan to improve alot.

SteelCitySaviour

Nov 12, 2005
Pittsburgh PA
I love how some people (cough John Prescription cough cough) love to question people's intelligence if they disagree with their own opinions. Yes Eric is better right now, but I'd rather have the other Staal on the Penguins right nowsimply because he's a much better fit on this team than Eric is. Jordan is probably the Pens' best defensive forward. We have plenty of guys with offense similar to if not blatantly better than Eric's- what we and very few teams have are an abundance of good, young players who can play defense like Jordan. Gimme Jordan right now, and ten years from now.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
What's funny is that when Eric first broke in and after Marc got drafted, everyone kept saying that Jared was the most talented of the bunch. That was when he was 12.
Fast-forward 4 years and now people are saying he'll be a midround pick. Even SI said that he's more than likely to be a plugger than a scorer.
So who knows what's going to happen.
Is he a centre too, or is he a right wing?

That is completely wrong. Nobody ever said Jared was the best one. It has been clear from the very beginning that he isn't in the same league as the other brothers. This error comes from a misprint in The Hockey News draft edition during Eric's draft year. They meant to say Jordan was the best one, but screwed up printed Jared by mistake. It was supposed to be Jordan.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I love how some people (cough John Prescription cough cough) love to question people's intelligence if they disagree with their own opinions. Yes Eric is better right now, but I'd rather have the other Staal on the Penguins right nowsimply because he's a much better fit on this team than Eric is. Jordan is probably the Pens' best defensive forward. We have plenty of guys with offense similar to if not blatantly better than Eric's- what we and very few teams have are an abundance of good, young players who can play defense like Jordan. Gimme Jordan right now, and ten years from now.

I love how some people (cough SteelCitySaviour cough cough) use +/- as a factor in determining a player's skill.

Marek Malik has some of the best +/- stats around year in, year out.

I guess he's a better player than most out there, eh?

Give you Jordan NOW? You honestly would take Jordan Staal over Eric Staal RIGHT NOW? In the future that's a certain possibility. But right now? How in the world could you possibly say that? It makes no sense at all. Eric is worlds better than Jordan is right now. C'mon, get a sense of reality here.

SteelCitySaviour

Nov 12, 2005
Pittsburgh PA
I explained why I'd take Jordan now. I didn't say he was the better player now, if you'd get off your high horse for just a moment. I said the Pens have plenty of offensive players, three of which have have more points than Eric, not to mention two defensemen who are within 8 points of him. Jordan is a tremendous defensive player on top of being able to score 25-30 goals this year. And if you bother to read anything, you'll see that I don't believe Jordan is good based soley on +/-...read a little bit before sounding off like an asshat.

Tell me why picking an incredibly sound defensive player with good offensive skills over a player on pace for 70 points and no defensive game is stupid? The aim of the game isn't to have a group of players with the best looking stats, it's to assemble the best team. We need Jordan's defense- we don't need Eric's offense.

I've said it time and time before, Eric is the better player right now but Jordan is the better fit for this team right now. So how about instead of trying to belittle me opinion, you back yours up with something besides snide comments.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I explained why I'd take Jordan now. I didn't say he was the better player now, if you'd get off your high horse for just a moment. I said the Pens have plenty of offensive players, three of which have have more points than Eric, not to mention two defensemen who are within 8 points of him. Jordan is a tremendous defensive player on top of being able to score 25-30 goals this year. And if you bother to read anything, you'll see that I don't believe Jordan is good based soley on +/-...read a little bit before sounding off like an asshat.

Tell me why picking an incredibly sound defensive player with good offensive skills over a player on pace for 70 points and no defensive game is stupid? The aim of the game isn't to have a group of players with the best looking stats, it's to assemble the best team. We need Jordan's defense- we don't need Eric's offense.

I've said it time and time before, Eric is the better player right now but Jordan is the better fit for this team right now. So how about instead of trying to belittle me opinion, you back yours up with something besides snide comments.

You should be more clear that you would rather have Jordan for the Pens, not that you think Jordan is the better player. :teach:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
What's funny is that when Eric first broke in and after Marc got drafted, everyone kept saying that Jared was the most talented of the bunch. That was when he was 12.
Fast-forward 4 years and now people are saying he'll be a midround pick. Even SI said that he's more than likely to be a plugger than a scorer.
So who knows what's going to happen.
Is he a centre too, or is he a right wing?

I was talking about Jordan not Jared. All indications are (from what I am reading, not what I have seen as I have not seen him play) is that Jared is adopted. Though as you say he is very young and might take that next step. Thus far though the people who know what they are talking about do not see it in him from what I have read.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
I would take Eric over Jordan right now, even with future potential factored in. Eric's development has certainly come far enough so that I would rather have the sure thing of what Eric is now over the gamble of what Jordan might become. Didn't Eric lead the NHL in scoring in the playoffs last year? To me, consistent playoff production is a pretty big deal on top of everything else Eric brings to the table now.

Even though Jordan is much better than anyone expected at this age, it is not a sure bet that he will be a better player than Eric over the course of their careers, even though he certainly has the potential to.

Of course, in three or four years, I might take Jordan over Eric.

Louiss

Feb 28, 2002
twitter.com
Jordan is very impressing this year but he had plenty of opportunities too as the Penguins are playing their young players a lot.

However, I wasnt very impressed with him in juniors and tought he was way overated. He is prooving me wrong right now but I think his brother Eric is still way ahead of him and I dont see Jordan Stall getting more than 60-70 points in an NHL season during his career.

He will probably be a very good 2 way center but not a big offensive force.

ilovehockey

Jan 1, 2007
If Jordan ends up being the 2nd best player in that draft year, which is the position he was taken in the draft. He will be a hall of famer. Not a max 60-70 point two-way player. I would not be surprised if Jordan is an elite player in the league 2 years from now.

T bay makes stars

Jan 31, 2007
Jordan the best just wait.... IM from thunder bay and my friends brothers play with the staals all the time and they said that jordan will be the best!!!

Last edited:

Karnage

Mar 9, 2004
During the All Star festivities last week, Cassie Campbell interviewed both Jordan and Eric and then she said that the youngest one is the best out of all of them.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
During the All Star festivities last week, Cassie Campbell interviewed both Jordan and Eric and then she said that the youngest one is the best out of all of them.

that's because she didn't know what she was talking about.

Some people laughed at me when I said last year that Jordan will likely be better the Eric. He's not yet. But wait till he's 21 or 22 like Eric. He's going to be dynamite.

Roger's Pancreas*

If Jordan ends up being the 2nd best player in that draft year, which is the position he was taken in the draft. He will be a hall of famer. Not a max 60-70 point two-way player. I would not be surprised if Jordan is an elite player in the league 2 years from now.
I will. Mike Richards did the same think that Jordan Staal is doing this year (less goal scoring, a lot more playmaking, more fighting, more hitting) and no one even mentions Richards and elite in the same sentence. Jordan Staal will be a shut-down center who is capable of fifty, maybe sixty points a year.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I will. Mike Richards did the same think that Jordan Staal is doing this year (less goal scoring, a lot more playmaking, more fighting, more hitting) and no one even mentions Richards and elite in the same sentence. Jordan Staal will be a shut-down center who is capable of fifty, maybe sixty points a year.

wow he might have 50 points this year if he can stay with malkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad