Jared Staal

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
how do you figure that Jordan has grown into his body already?

he looks like an early bloomer. he has strong looking shoulders, strong legs, and his face looks pretty filled out. eric looked emaciated at the same age. there is no comparison to these two physically. im not saying he is completely done - or even that he isdone at all. im just saying that some players have their complete size when they enter the league (arnott, neidermayer, gratton, kilger - none of these guys grew much after the came in the league), some guys dont. jordan reminds me of the first group, eric the second. he doesnt look like he has a ton of room for more growth. he looks like he has a mans body already, eric doesnt. you dont agree? are you just assuming that because he is 18 he will automatically grow more? it doesnt work that way, there are no automatics with the body. im just saying using some prospect formula for body size and growth is ridiculous, he isnt automatically going to grow more. he already is thicker than eric may ever be. the thicker you are the more you tend to be more of a power forward and less of an agile, nimble type. jordan is already stronger, but he may never develop much further physically, it may be mental growth only.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
His playmaking skills are non-existant. ... I know he's still young, but there is a limit to what people can do over the course of their career with the tools they enter the league with.

Non-existant, my dear sir, you're way off the mark there. Jordan Staal's playmaking skills are fine, at least, we here at ISS think so. His low assist total this season is a statistical aberration. He's an 18-year-old kid who is still finding his way on his team and in the NHL. We think over the course of his career, he will accumulate his share of assists. Just give it time.

On a side note, I've been enjoying reading this and other Jordan Staal threads. I remember last year when many people were incredulous that we had him ranked so high. The only reason we had him so high, apparently, was because of his last name. I guess there must have been something about his game we noticed, too.

Roger's Pancreas*

Non-existant, my dear sir, you're way off the mark there. Jordan Staal's playmaking skills are fine, at least, we here at ISS think so. His low assist total this season is a statistical aberration. He's an 18-year-old kid who is still finding his way on his team and in the NHL. We think over the course of his career, he will accumulate his share of assists. Just give it time.

On a side note, I've been enjoying reading this and other Jordan Staal threads. I remember last year when many people were incredulous that we had him ranked so high. The only reason we had him so high, apparently, was because of his last name. I guess there must have been something about his game we noticed, too.
So you believe that he will reguarly accumulate thirty-five assists a season?

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Funny that Jared and Marc look so much alike (moreso than Eric and Jordan), minus the 2 inch difference in height of course.
Jared http://www.sudburywolves.com/content.php?page=players&player=91
Marc http://www.sudburywolves.com/content.php?page=players&player=44

His stats arn't anything special, but he has at least 2 years of junior hockey left to work on his offensive game. Hopefully he makes it to the NHL, even if it is 'only' as a quality 3rd liner.
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/player.php?id=4647

Last edited:

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
It's amazing..

Funny that Jared and Marc look so much alike (moreso than Eric and Jordan), minus the 2 inch difference in height of course.
Jared http://www.sudburywolves.com/content.php?page=players&player=91
Marc http://www.sudburywolves.com/content.php?page=players&player=44

His stats arn't anything special, but he has at least 2 years of junior hockey left to work on his offensive game. Hopefully he makes it to the NHL, even if it is 'only' as a quality 3rd liner.
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/player.php?id=4647

The similarities between Marc and Jared are amazing...

Next season is going to be a big season for Jared. He's gotten very little ice time this season, but hopefully, he's learning the game and getting good advice from big brother Marc about what it takes to work on his game.

He's got 2 more years of Junior before his draft year and even after getting drafted, he'll be back in junior for another season. So, he's got time to develop his game. He's only 16, so I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I think this idea that Jared is the most talented of the four came from the Hockey News draft edition during Marc Staal's draft year. They had a little segment on each, and for Jared, who was still quite young (and still is) they mentioned something like "and some people think that Jared might be the best of them all (but they said the same thing about Brent Gretzky)." That is the only time i've seen any one actually report this superiority, but it seems to have become a myth in the hockey world.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
So you believe that he will reguarly accumulate thirty-five assists a season?

Well, considering that he has six now, I don't think he'll get 35 this season. That's a safe prediction.

In the future? Yes, he certainly has the skill to do that and he's playing on a team that has a stellar core of young talent. That's an evaluation of his talent.

As for a prediction of when he'll get 35 assists in a season? Well, after he's had three seasons in the NHL, I would think that will be a regular occurrence.

I believe somebody made reference earlier in this thread to Staal's junior stats.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=80489

In both junior seasons with Peterborough, he tallied more assists than goals. He is a good playmaker. However, if you look at his junior stats, you'd think, he wasn't a very good finisher. If you look at his numbers now, you think, 'Oh, he's a finisher and not a very good playmaker.'

Jordan Staal is a good all-round player and his statistical variances are a result of his team environment and how his coaches use him. Also his shooting percentage is very high right now. I don't expect him to keep that up.

The longer he plays on a line with Malkin and Ouellet (or some other right winger), the more assists you'll see him get and his totals will balance out.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
One thing, the combination of Jordan's size and reach, hockey intelligence, defensive ability and his ability to wire the puck will make him a very valuable player even if he never gets another assist in his career.

I was very skeptical of keeping Jordan in the NHL at the beginning of the year because he is so raw. And he's still extremely far from a finished product. His upside is really almost unlimited given his skillset and hockey IQ.

hlundqvist30*

I love the idea of Jordan being better than Eric because he is doing better in his rookie year. Some guy named Mark Messier had 1 goal in his rookie year. I guess that Jordan Staal is a lock to become better than him too?

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Strange i just noticed that Jared is the only one of the four who plays right handed. Jordan is having a better year than Eric, Eric has a Stanley cup which outweighs any regular season accomplishments.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So What's the deal with Jared here? He's not eligible until next yes? I haven't looked at the numbers, but I would believe he still isn't lighting it up. What should we expect next year?

Balk

Healthy Scratch
Another point that is getting lost in the Staal brother comparison is Eric ability to develop a defensive game. Yzerman and Sakic weren't great defensive players when they broke into the league but they developed strong two-way games as they got older. Eric could follow their path.

As for Jordan, he has been impresive in his rookie season but as other posters have pointed out, he is much more in tune and comfortable with his body than Eric was and that could acount for the difference in production. Even though Eric is more of a finisher than Thorton, Joe is an ideal comparison to Eric for development and body type. Jordan could be compared more to Lecavalier, not in skill, but in mastery of their body and their production curves.

Cheers,

Balk

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
More like in the same organization. I doubt he makes the NHL.

How do you people know? He is 16 getting no icetime. From what I have seen all Staal brothers keep improving on a steady pace when they get older. He has phenomenal nhl size already and a great family history.

While the other Staals are all destined to be stars he might just end up being a 3rd or 4th round guy. There is no way to know as a 16 year old that he doesnt have nhl potential. Alotof nhl players didnt even play in the OHL at 16.

Dextrous*

well, its generally tough to get assists when you play on the 3/4 line. The only reason he has more goals than assists is because he creates turnovers and knows how to capitalize:

Look at his last 7 games while playing with a respectable center:

7 gp 4 g 3 a..

Not too unbalanced for a goal scorer.

Plus, you use junior statistics to compare thornton and staal, which should never be done, especially considering the role staal was given on his team (and the petes style of play). Im not saying staal will be as good as thornton, but i do know this:

1.) He has a great reach with really soft hands.
2.) He has a large, powerful frame, and can easily knock opponents off the puck, and protect the puck.
3.) Has very good top speed, and will only become a better skater as he matures.
4.) He has a deceptively quick shot and a nose for the net.
5.) Is a great defensive forward, and is one of the best in the league at causing turnovers and capitalizing on them.
6.) Is an extremely smart, responsible, hardworking player

Projecting him to be a keith primeau type player is a mistake.

Agreed. This guy could be one of the best two way players in the league and maybe the unsung hero if this pens team wins the cup.

Default101

So being a third line centre makes you better than your brother who is a top line centre...? :dunno:

thats stretching it alittle far, i don't think staal has played outside the top 2 lines since november 2006, jordan is leagues ahead of eric in defensive ability, eric is better offensive but he's also 2 years ahead, eric stumbled last year and barely beat jordan in point, there are not too many players out there in the league period that have been calmer than jordan when handling the puck in traffic, i think the only reason he's behind is becasue he's not putting up the points, and yet he's only in his 2nd year where eric is in his 4th. and as far as the 100 points and leading his team to a cup before he can be cosnidered as good, i'd much rather have a player his talent secondary to a bigger star and have consistant 60-80 point seasons throughout his career, and great defensive abilities.

Default101

Jordan the best just wait.... IM from thunder bay and my friends brothers play with the staals all the time and they said that jordan will be the best!!!

well iguess this thread is over now that we have a relyable source on that one.. :rolleyes:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
thats stretching it alittle far, i don't think staal has played outside the top 2 lines since november 2006, jordan is leagues ahead of eric in defensive ability, eric is better offensive but he's also 2 years ahead, eric stumbled last year and barely beat jordan in point, there are not too many players out there in the league period that have been calmer than jordan when handling the puck in traffic, i think the only reason he's behind is becasue he's not putting up the points, and yet he's only in his 2nd year where eric is in his 4th. and as far as the 100 points and leading his team to a cup before he can be cosnidered as good, i'd much rather have a player his talent secondary to a bigger star and have consistant 60-80 point seasons throughout his career, and great defensive abilities.

Uh, let's let Jordan HIT 60 points first before we anoint him a "consistent 60-80 point" scorer. :shakehead

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
Jordan's problem is that he's stuck behind Crosby and Malkin. As for Jared, how's his defensive play? Is it sufficient to be a 3rd liner or non existent?

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Uh, let's let Jordan HIT 60 points first before we anoint him a "consistent 60-80 point" scorer. :shakehead

Let's also let Jordan's CHL ELIGIBILITY run out before we label him incapable, due to a subpar season, if you'd like to call it subpar for a 19-year-old who had a fluky 29 goal season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->